Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1376 1377 [1378] 1379 1380 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702545 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Sonic the Betrayer Edition
« Reply #20655 on: February 07, 2013, 06:10:30 am »

That used to drive me fucking insane in college. In fact, anyone who stands around kibitzing in the middle of a busy thoroughfare really pisses me off. Like at the airport. Hordes of people moving through trying to get to where they need to go, and you motherfuckers stand in the middle of the concourse with a mountain of luggage, happily chatting away, while 50+ people a minute have to move around you? WTF. Get. Out. Of. The. Way.
That just reminds me of two women standing in the doorway of a shop, it was pissing with rain outside and they wouldn't move aside, so I gently manoevred in past them and was met with accusations of my entire generation being rude filth.

On topic:
Different bus driver today, so he wouldn't let me off at the traffic light that is literally right outside my destination of college, instead I had to walk for 10 minutes through the pissing rain and with a sprained ankle. Oh the joy that today brings already. On the bright side, class hadn't properly started yet.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Sonic the Betrayer Edition
« Reply #20656 on: February 07, 2013, 09:29:59 am »

Lower your shoulder, wolfy one. See them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of those women. Note: Shoulder plowing your way through a pack of people is only acceptable if you've loudly asked them to move a couple of times.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20657 on: February 07, 2013, 09:31:06 am »

American politics thread got locked because of collective fuckwittery.

Screw it, somebody else can OP the next one. I don't have time to babysit.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #20658 on: February 07, 2013, 09:31:30 am »

I didn't mention it, but yeah, I had asked them politely if they'd move and let me in :P

Sadly, I abhor violence, although I am quite fond of violins, and unconcerned with cellos.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20659 on: February 07, 2013, 09:33:21 am »

I didn't mention it, but yeah, I had asked them politely if they'd move and let me in :P

Sadly, I abhor violence, although I am quite fond of violins, and unconcerned with cellos.
I played the viola for a couple of years in middle school. Does that count for anything? (Also, the shoulder plow is designed to get people to move out of your way reflexively, not to actually run them over. If you DO run them over, hey, bonus.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20660 on: February 07, 2013, 10:43:20 am »

I forgot that this saturday it was Carnival and thus was tricked into switching my 23th shift for the tricker's 9 shift.

I should have been suspicious since person has no other interest in shift switches other than getting rid of the bad days she has.

I'll try to make her do the 14th of March in return at least.  She owes me.

I'm also hoping for blizzards and storms. Those tend to result in decent shifts.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20661 on: February 07, 2013, 11:14:49 am »

Somebody bullied my little brother. Fuck him. Apparantly it was an accident, and he tried kicking a ball instead of hitting his head. HOW THE FUCK DO YOU ACCIDENTLY HIT SOMEBODIES HEAD? I KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT, YOU SIMPLY DONT! Fuck him. Just stay the fuck away from my little brother, he did nothing wrong at all.

Now I'm raging anyway: Java update: "would you like to install a probably ad-ridden, spam-filled useless toolbar and switch to our search engine? It has FESSBAWK AND WETHURR!" What? NO I DONT WANT IT. Why would I want a search engine different than google anyway? I mean, this one is probably even MORE spying on you than google. Now, I could have just put up with this if it wasn't Java. Oracle doesn't need the little amount of money you get from promoting toolbars in your installers. I guess it's their search engine. But still...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20662 on: February 07, 2013, 11:25:24 am »

The makers of Java have a search engine? Is it slow as hell, too?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #20663 on: February 07, 2013, 11:31:45 am »

The makers of Java have a search engine? Is it slow as hell, too?

Java installers have a had an "optional" toolbar in the installer for a long time, it was part of SUN's attempt to monetize "free" java. They got payed if you were a sucker and forgot to deselect the checkbox. Oracle continues the practice, just to be a bastard.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20664 on: February 07, 2013, 12:17:10 pm »

Duckduckgo FTW.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20665 on: February 07, 2013, 12:26:57 pm »

I want to like duck duck go. I really do.

But it's results are so, so much worse than googles, somehow. And result quality is still the most important feature in a search engine for me.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20666 on: February 07, 2013, 12:40:40 pm »

Well, you always have the corresponding wikipedia link in a square at top, which is cool, and results are quite similar I find, I've not really had issue with what I search. The only bad things are images, etc, which you have to go through google to do it (well, duckduckgo + !yt, or !gi, stuff like that).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20667 on: February 07, 2013, 12:47:48 pm »

Duck duck go doesn't even have an image search like google, yeah, that's also a problem. But the results, man, the results... they are just worse. I'll try looking for something, and I'll find it on the first page of Google and like page 6 or 7 of DuckDuckGo. It's really terrible. I don't know how the algorithms differ or what, but it's not really acceptable to me.

Also, they make their ads look even more like search results than google does, and there seems to be more of them, which I also find unpleasant. Although... Actually, I just tried it now, and they seem to be clearly indicated and yellow instead of looking just like search results and having a very light pink background. That's a notable improvement - is it new?

But anyway, compare the results for, say, "cataclysm rl" on duckduckgo and google. I'm obviously searching for Cataclysm Roguelike there - but I think part of the problem is that google cares about the order the words appear in, and DuckDuckGo doesn't seem to at all. In fact, it seems to throw out almost all context information when searching, and that's a big part of why it gets inferior results.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20668 on: February 07, 2013, 01:05:45 pm »

Also, they make their ads look even more like search results than google does, and there seems to be more of them, which I also find unpleasant. Although... Actually, I just tried it now, and they seem to be clearly indicated and yellow instead of looking just like search results and having a very light pink background. That's a notable improvement - is it new?
Honestly, I don't know, I don't have ads anyway, on google or duckduckgo.

I think the results differ on the handling of syntax. I think duckduckgo works more on keywords. Which is less friendly, probably. I had issues at first when I switched, but now, I'm used to it, and I don't really notice it. (and "cataclysm roguelike" works fine  ;) )
And the fact that I can search results with different languages and country is a big + for me too. While Google will force me to search with say, canada, until I go straight to the google I want.

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20669 on: February 07, 2013, 03:10:36 pm »

Someone burned popcorn in the lunchroom.  OK, no big deal, just open some doors and put up some fans. Coworker comes in and starts bitching about how "People need to watch their popcorn." and other such bullshit to anyone who walks by. If something happens to him its going to be hard to argue against premeditation.
I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a fiery doom as singing.
Pages: 1 ... 1376 1377 [1378] 1379 1380 ... 3345