Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1372 1373 [1374] 1375 1376 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702991 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Anti-Something Edition
« Reply #20595 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:38 am »

Yeah that's my consensus too.

The day stages of unleashed also look quite fun imo.

After Sonic Generations, I'm eagerly awaiting to see what they'll come out with next - I'm hoping they retain boost if anything in favour of throwing another gimmick our way (e.g. 'team' gameplay, guns, God of Hog, etc.)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20596 on: February 06, 2013, 11:11:13 am »

I noticed you didn't mention the gameplay, which I find great fun, but yes, SA1 onwards basically tries to introduce dramatic plots to the series. The characters, as well, are very preference - based. I quite like all of it, but I can't blame you for not liking the suddenly SOOPER SRS CHAOS EMERALD SPLODES EARTH plot or emo the hedgehog.

Gameplay I'm mixed on.  I actually quite enjoyed Sonic Adventure's gameplay, at least at first.  It was pretty fun to run around in the open areas as Sonic.  I honestly don't remember how Knuckles and Tails played.  Did they introduce the emerald finding gameplay in SA1?  I didn't much care for that, it was jarring compared to playing as Sonic.  I didn't care much for playing as Amy, and outright hated playing as Big.  E-102 was alright, if strange for a Sonic game.

The problem, was that the game was kind of buggy and it was way too darn easy to get yourself killed trying to enjoy running around at high speed.  Homing attack was also the source of many a death.

All in all, I'd give the gameplay 8/10 for Sonic, and probably 6/10 for all of the characters averaged together.  As a whole, I'd probably give the game 6.5/10 to maybe 7/10.  It doesn't have a lot of the problems later games do, but it does still have problems.

To me, Sonic Adventure 2 was all of the problems of Sonic Adventure (and arguably worse for gameplay), plus characters and a plot I couldn't get into.  I still loathe Rouge as one of the single most out of place characters in the entire series.  Don't get me started on the transformer plane Tails drives.  I wanted to play Tails, not that.  I can tolerate Shadow, but he should have stayed dead.  Coming back kind of destroyed his character development to me.

Sonic Heroes had awful gameplay.  The bugs were even worse.  I fell through the world geometry 5 seconds into the game.  The flying characters were almost pointless, and I only ever switched to power because I had to to get through an area.  Bosses were very frustrating, especially the Egg Emperor (was that the name?).  I was also quite disappointed that I didn't get to fight Metal Sonic.  Instead, I got to fight Metal Godzilla.

I don't know.  Maybe Sega got their act together for Generations or Sonic 4.  Maybe I should actually try one of them.  I'm not touching Sonic 2006 though.

Well, that's one rant out of the way.  I've got several more I could spew out instead of working like I should be.  :P
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20597 on: February 06, 2013, 11:14:31 am »

Tails gameplay in Sonic Adventure was a race against either Sonic(4 levels) or Robotnik (1) but with areas where Tails could use his flying abilities to gain an advantage.  His Speed Highway is one of my favorite levels in the game.  Knuckles was emerald searching, yes, but I found it was better in SA1 than in SA2 because of the smaller levels and improved radar.  Amy's levels I found were okay, if a bit long (Hot Shelter was about 9 minutes).  E-102 had shooting levels that were quicker than the SA2 counterparts.

The less said about Big, the better.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20598 on: February 06, 2013, 11:18:03 am »

Random question time! What's your opinion on Sonic R and that sonic fighting game?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #20599 on: February 06, 2013, 11:24:49 am »

Sonic the Fighters - Generic virtua fighter clone, but with Sonic Characters. It did have an unusual shield system, I suppose. Alright.

Sonic R - Terrible, the graphics suck, the soundtrack is annoying as hell, only five levels, totally unbalanced characters (Only Sonic vs. Knuckles or Metal Sonic vs. Metal Knuckles is really fair), annoying emerald and coin unlock system, terrible turning system (yeah that's right), the AI takes shortcuts inconsistently, so if you try to play entirely fair you'll almost always lose, and if you take all the shortcuts on every lap you'll always win, and EVERY TIME I FINISH THE LAST LEVEL WITH ANYONE I HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE CREDITS WHY GAME WHY.

And I love it.  :-[

EDIT : Possible SA 1 ending spoilers which parodies one of the games plot problems...
http://youtu.be/c4WNAW38ej4?t=3m48s
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:29:37 am by Korbac »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20600 on: February 06, 2013, 11:28:17 am »

Tails gameplay in Sonic Adventure was a race against either Sonic(4 levels) or Robotnik (1)

Oh, right.  Yeah, that was okay.  I'd have preferred more open gameplay like with Sonic, but it was tolerable.

Knuckles was emerald searching, yes, but I found it was better in SA1 than in SA2 because of the smaller levels and improved radar.

Uh huh, thought so.  I think I agree though.  It was a huge departure from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but compared to SA2 it was tolerable.

The less said about Big, the better.

Agreed.

Random question time! What's your opinion on Sonic R and that sonic fighting game?

I haven't had a chance to play either, but Sonic the Fighters looks like it might be fun for brief periods at least.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Sonic the Betrayer Edition
« Reply #20601 on: February 06, 2013, 02:30:35 pm »

I got paid today! This, of course, means that I'm only $130 in debt now. FUUUUUUUUUUU--

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Sonic the Betrayer Edition
« Reply #20602 on: February 06, 2013, 02:48:29 pm »

Long lasting sickness leads me to rage and rageberries. Every raging breath I take turns what should be the effortless departure of the remains of stars into a rasping grinder full of the wrath of rust.

Lungs give me strength, I want to punch sickness in the face.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20603 on: February 06, 2013, 02:54:02 pm »

I got paid today! This, of course, means that I'm only $130 in debt now. FUUUUUUUUUUU--

How much did you have beforehand?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20604 on: February 06, 2013, 03:03:00 pm »

How much did you have beforehand?
At least $131, I'd guess.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20605 on: February 06, 2013, 03:05:26 pm »

That's one dollar less! That's wonderful!
My tumblr.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20606 on: February 06, 2013, 03:26:01 pm »

The only thing that worries me is the 1 meal a day. As long as you're getting your daily calories you're fine, but the implications is that it really isn't. Also maybe add some poultry or fish to that diet. And more fruits. Your body is your temple and so on :P
Vitamin supplement's probably cheaper, and poultry or fish tends to... not last long. Same for fruits and... free floating? Unpreserved, though whatever means. Veggies. Frozen et al lasts longer, but yeah. Gimme dem nonperishables, I can buy those in bulk (for much less per unit) and eat for months.

But yeah, I've been running of a similar diet, t'be honest. Eat something cheap for the calories, take vitamins to keep from keeling over from malnutrition. It's way, way less expensive than balancing a diet through actual food. Unfortunately.
Doesn't have to be ridiculously expensive to eat well. I hit up the local farmer's markets (and ethnic markets...Indian/Asian/Hispanic markets often have produce and bulk spices at ridiculously cheap prices compared to mainstream grocery stores) and try to make a big batch of food every few days to munch off of, since my finances are now much tighter. Got some cheap chicken cuts, pierced them, tossed them in a bag with some Italian dressing, then pan-fried them. Made a box of chicken-flavored rice/vermicelli mix from ALDI's, and tossed up some green peas and mushrooms with a little butter and seasoned salt. Total price of everything was maybe $8. Made enough to get three full meals out of. That's pretty price-efficient and way better than just ramen.

On the occasions when I do eat ramen, I like to dilute it, boil egg-ribbons into them, and add frozen spinach, or when I'm feeling fancy those imitation crab flakes made of pollock. The end effect is in the vicinity of street-stall ramen, and not that bad. When eating in general, I get the necessary calories for my activity level, and load up on fresh fruit and veggies when opportunities present themselves. I get enough protein from beans and rice, supplemented by eggs, fish, chicken, or frozen beef left over from when my folks buy their yearly half-a-cow.

Last time I got a physical, I requested some blood work, and found that my cholesterol was bordering on the low end of the spectrum, so I've upped my fat intake with milk and such. Helps with the low Vitamin D too (though that's mostly from living where we get indirect sunlight, and have to wear a lot of clothes). When I really need calories, I make a tomato-cream sauce or alfredo to serve with pasta; flour, milk, white cheese, and some spices is all you need. Blend in an egg, or throw in sauteed spinach, mushrooms, and/or chicken, and you have several $16 Italian meals for less than $6.

As for the 1 large meal a day thing, your body adapts to it. I take some comfort knowing that most non-herbivores on the planet (including humans for most of history), eat in spurts, and fast at other times. Some Human cultures have instead decided to spread out their gorging over several sessions, which when you think about it from a distant perspective, is kind of a strange restriction we choose to impose on ourselves. In fact, because I'm metabolizing food less frequently than the average person, I may be aging slower than the average person too (though this finding may be in contention with a more recent study).

Long story short, I take care of my dietary needs within my means, and get enough variety to stay healthier than many folks I know.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20607 on: February 06, 2013, 03:27:29 pm »

FUCKING HELL!

I was working on an RP game. I pressed backspace without clicking in the text box. I was nearly done. Now all of that is gone. All of it.
My tumblr.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20608 on: February 06, 2013, 03:28:38 pm »

FUCKING HELL!

I was working on an RP game. I pressed backspace without clicking in the text box. I was nearly done. Now all of that is gone. All of it.
I know that feel.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20609 on: February 06, 2013, 03:29:33 pm »

It was text-heavy, too.
My tumblr.
Pages: 1 ... 1372 1373 [1374] 1375 1376 ... 3345