Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703056 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Anti-Something Edition
« Reply #20580 on: February 06, 2013, 02:23:52 am »

It isn't "moral" to refuse to work for someone who's opinion you don't agree with. Millions of people all over the world work for people they don't like or don't agree with.

I mean, I don't think it applies here since video game quality isn't a moral issue, but I do think it's morally wrong to work for someone who you think does evil since you're helping enable it. But just because something is morally wrong in a vacuum doesn't make it the incorrect choice when other factors are taken into account.

I don't expect everyone to starve because their employer is a dick, but if you can choose someone less evil without significantly negatively impacting the quality of your life then you should.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20581 on: February 06, 2013, 02:31:01 am »

Figuring out that football players do as much work whn they collide with each other as 40 grams of TNT was a fun exercise xD Units are fun.
Absolute proof that (American) football is the best sport.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #20582 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:34 am »

While I would totally take the money, I can understand not wanting to associate yourself professionally with something you don't particularly like/agree with. It's not really a question of morality and I don't think there's anything wrong with those games, but they do have an image (correct or incorrect) that I can understand not wanting to have yourself linked to.

Which is what pseudonyms are for.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20583 on: February 06, 2013, 06:56:58 am »

Must be nice to have so much money that you can decline a job because of "morals" that don't actually affect anyone in any way.

It's really not a moral issue, and after mulling on it after my initial reaction, I offered to take the client's job. It's attached to my work alias, so I'm not too worried about my pristine indie image being soiled or something. What made me ARGH was that the guy literally only plays Call of Duty, it's clones, and FIFA, and honestly considers them the only games worth playing (I've since been to his Youtube, where he repeats that sentiment). Yeah, everyone's entitled to their opinions, but his opinions are ill-informed, narrow of scope, and pretty damned unfortunate for someone representing gaming in a broadcast media capacity. That's all.

Also I am certainly not rich enough to just turn it down money left and right. I sleep in an unheated apartment, on a bed made of 3 sheets in a pile, and have lived off 1 meal a day made primarily of rice, pasta, beans, and canned/frozen veggies, for about 3 years now.

It's how I keep my girlish figure.

Skold

• Bay Watcher
  • Halaster has nothing on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20584 on: February 06, 2013, 08:03:27 am »

Must be nice to have so much money that you can decline a job because of "morals" that don't actually affect anyone in any way.

It's really not a moral issue, and after mulling on it after my initial reaction, I offered to take the client's job. It's attached to my work alias, so I'm not too worried about my pristine indie image being soiled or something. What made me ARGH was that the guy literally only plays Call of Duty, it's clones, and FIFA, and honestly considers them the only games worth playing (I've since been to his Youtube, where he repeats that sentiment). Yeah, everyone's entitled to their opinions, but his opinions are ill-informed, narrow of scope, and pretty damned unfortunate for someone representing gaming in a broadcast media capacity. That's all.

Also I am certainly not rich enough to just turn it down money left and right. I sleep in an unheated apartment, on a bed made of 3 sheets in a pile, and have lived off 1 meal a day made primarily of rice, pasta, beans, and canned/frozen veggies, for about 3 years now.

It's how I keep my girlish figure.
The part in bold. It worries me for some reason.
I was known as dei before. Chances are that isn't a good thing.

Just as a warning, I have Asperger's Syndrome and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Between the lack of a sense of humor, the eccentricities, bizarre obsessions and the swiss cheese-like memory, talking to me should be interesting.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20585 on: February 06, 2013, 09:54:17 am »

It isn't "moral" to refuse to work for someone who's opinion you don't agree with.
It isn't immoral to refuse to work for someone you don't agree with. Especially if your actions are moral ones. Hence, moral refutation. And if you work for someone you don't agree with, it is of my opinion you really shouldn't be working for them. It is not a luxury, it is a freedom. You are correct that too many do not have this option, but this is not the moral thing.

The part in bold. It worries me for some reason.
The only thing that worries me is the 1 meal a day. As long as you're getting your daily calories you're fine, but the implications is that it really isn't. Also maybe add some poultry or fish to that diet. And more fruits. Your body is your temple and so on :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20586 on: February 06, 2013, 10:00:33 am »

The only thing that worries me is the 1 meal a day. As long as you're getting your daily calories you're fine, but the implications is that it really isn't. Also maybe add some poultry or fish to that diet. And more fruits. Your body is your temple and so on :P
Vitamin supplement's probably cheaper, and poultry or fish tends to... not last long. Same for fruits and... free floating? Unpreserved, though whatever means. Veggies. Frozen et al lasts longer, but yeah. Gimme dem nonperishables, I can buy those in bulk (for much less per unit) and eat for months.

But yeah, I've been running of a similar diet, t'be honest. Eat something cheap for the calories, take vitamins to keep from keeling over from malnutrition. It's way, way less expensive than balancing a diet through actual food. Unfortunately.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20587 on: February 06, 2013, 10:08:08 am »

I'm starting to wonder if my standards for the series I like are too high.  It seems every time I go looking for news on any of them, I end up in a bad mood for one reason or another.

I could go on a huge rant here, but instead I'll just say that I have all but abandoned two of my most cherished childhood series (Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman / Megaman X) because they've been taken so far from the roots I loved.  Of course, I gave up on them years ago.

What's starting to finally get under my skin is newer series that are heading in directions I don't want.  Off the bat I'll cite Simcity 5, Dead Space 3 and Aliens: Colonial Marines as 3 games I was actually very much looking forward to.  Simcity 5 is nearly a disaster from what I can tell, while Dead Space 3 and ACM appear to be death from a thousand cuts to me.  Little things that didn't need to happen or change, but they did anyway.

And don't get me started on upcoming changes to a particular cartoon that shall not be named...

I give up.  It's obvious that I'm that fan that these companies don't really care about.  I might have been a loyal player or viewer since the beginning of these series, but they don't care about me.  Fine.  I get the hint.

Fine, DS3 and ACM might not be that bad and I'll play them regardless, but they had so much more potential... I'll spare the full rant for now, however.  Time to go back to playing Kirby's Return to Dreamland, the only new (to me) game that I've enjoyed in more than a year.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20588 on: February 06, 2013, 10:15:54 am »

Vitamin supplement's probably cheaper, and poultry or fish tends to... not last long. Same for fruits and... free floating? Unpreserved, though whatever means. Veggies. Frozen et al lasts longer, but yeah. Gimme dem nonperishables, I can buy those in bulk (for much less per unit) and eat for months.

But yeah, I've been running of a similar diet, t'be honest. Eat something cheap for the calories, take vitamins to keep from keeling over from malnutrition. It's way, way less expensive than balancing a diet through actual food. Unfortunately.
Doesn't have to be ridiculously expensive to eat well. I hit up the local farmer's markets (and ethnic markets...Indian/Asian/Hispanic markets often have produce and bulk spices at ridiculously cheap prices compared to mainstream grocery stores) and try to make a big batch of food every few days to munch off of, since my finances are now much tighter. Got some cheap chicken cuts, pierced them, tossed them in a bag with some Italian dressing, then pan-fried them. Made a box of chicken-flavored rice/vermicelli mix from ALDI's, and tossed up some green peas and mushrooms with a little butter and seasoned salt. Total price of everything was maybe $8. Made enough to get three full meals out of. That's pretty price-efficient and way better than just ramen.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20589 on: February 06, 2013, 10:19:35 am »

And don't get me started on upcoming changes to a particular cartoon that shall not be named...

How about instead of jumping to conclusions we wait and see what happens?  If it does go crap, then I'll agree, but until that time I believe the creators have at least earned a little bit of trust.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20590 on: February 06, 2013, 10:27:47 am »

Doesn't have to be ridiculously expensive to eat well. I hit up the local farmer's markets (and ethnic markets...Indian/Asian/Hispanic markets often have produce and bulk spices at ridiculously cheap prices compared to mainstream grocery stores) and try to make a big batch of food every few days to munch off of, since my finances are now much tighter. Got some cheap chicken cuts, pierced them, tossed them in a bag with some Italian dressing, then pan-fried them. Made a box of chicken-flavored rice/vermicelli mix from ALDI's, and tossed up some green peas and mushrooms with a little butter and seasoned salt. Total price of everything was maybe $8. Made enough to get three full meals out of. That's pretty price-efficient and way better than just ramen.
Who said anything about just ramen :P Though ramen's part of it. The noodles make an alright addition to several other things, and the seasoning's actually kinda' delicious when added to rice or potatoes. Y'just don't use a full pack of the stuff (in anything, including the ramen. That's some bloody strong junk.).

I tend to average about a buck fifty/two bucks per meal unless I'm particular desperate. Base of some sort of grain (rice, noodles) or potatoes, then additional seasonings and occasionally meat. And usually some cheese, heh. Every once in a while I'll get fancy, but you get inventive when you're low on funds so it still trends toward pretty inexpensive. I do seem to drive family members a little crazy when I go shopping with them, though, heh.

Do need to get around to scoping out the town I'm in now (for another week or two, possibly longer at some later point) for various deals, but... that comes later.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:30:03 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #20591 on: February 06, 2013, 10:29:35 am »

Eh, I like the old Sonic games, I enjoy Sonic Generations, and, from what I've been able to play of SA2 (which, due to having to use the keyboard, isn't much) I enjoy that, too.

It's possible I've managed to dodge all the crap though. :P

Soli, ahh, he thinks those are the only games worth playing. I'm not sure why that sort of person wants to actually set up a games channel. It seems like he's a casual, mass - market gamer, so why bother with a channel about games that everyone has covered one bazillion times?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20592 on: February 06, 2013, 10:41:06 am »

How about instead of jumping to conclusions we wait and see what happens?  If it does go crap, then I'll agree, but until that time I believe the creators have at least earned a little bit of trust.

I'm trying, honest.  The thing is, word is that the changes are from executive meddling from Hasbro, and that Hasbro have made some 'terrible decisions.'  I'm mostly worried that it's an indicator of much worse things to come.  I can live with what we know so far, even if I'll be a bit disgruntled.  I can just think of so many much worse things that can happen...

I trust the animators and for the most part the writers.  They're doing the best they can with what they've been given.  I'm just pretty confident that Hasbro has no qualms about alienating bronies if they think that they'll sell more toys to their target audience.  I can't really blame them for that, but it annoys me regardless.

Eh, I like the old Sonic games, I enjoy Sonic Generations, and, from what I've been able to play of SA2 (which, due to having to use the keyboard, isn't much) I enjoy that, too.

It's possible I've managed to dodge all the crap though. :P

Sonic Adventure 2 was the point where I realized that I was no longer going to enjoy future Sonic games.  I enjoyed Sonic Adventure when I first played through it despite the omens of things to come (such as Robotnik being renamed Eggman in the US).  By the time I played SA2 though, the bugs, plot and characters were getting to the point I couldn't really get into the game anymore.

Sonic Heroes put the nail in the coffin, and I actually haven't picked up a Sonic game since.  Sonic Generations or Sonic 4 might have been alright games, but Sega killed my interest so thoroughly I couldn't be bothered to find out for myself.  :-\
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #20593 on: February 06, 2013, 10:54:01 am »

Sonic Adventure 2 was the point where I realized that I was no longer going to enjoy future Sonic games.  I enjoyed Sonic Adventure when I first played through it despite the omens of things to come (such as Robotnik being renamed Eggman in the US).  By the time I played SA2 though, the bugs, plot and characters were getting to the point I couldn't really get into the game anymore.

Sonic Heroes put the nail in the coffin, and I actually haven't picked up a Sonic game since.  Sonic Generations or Sonic 4 might have been alright games, but Sega killed my interest so thoroughly I couldn't be bothered to find out for myself.  :-\

I noticed you didn't mention the gameplay, which I find great fun, but yes, SA1 onwards basically tries to introduce dramatic plots to the series. The characters, as well, are very preference - based. I quite like all of it, but I can't blame you for not liking the suddenly SOOPER SRS CHAOS EMERALD SPLODES EARTH plot or emo the hedgehog.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20594 on: February 06, 2013, 10:55:05 am »

Well, both Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations have pretty light-hearted plots.  I also find both of those to be fun games to play compared to say Unleashed or the Unmentionable One.
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 3345