Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1361 1362 [1363] 1364 1365 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700039 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Anti-Something Edition
« Reply #20430 on: February 02, 2013, 12:28:53 pm »

DIfficult, no it isn't. But if it is a desktop OS, it should start on the damn desktop. If it doesn't, then what are you trying to hide in your system installed on a non-tablet?

The short story is that Microsoft is betting that touch phones and tablets are the next big thing, and their desktop market is going to nosedive. Nobody likes the current Windows Phone implementations, so they're trying to force an entire generation of newbs to get used to the Metro interface so that when they inevitably realize a tablet is the newb thing they wanted all along, then they'll go "oh, I already know how to use this one".

So, it's not even intended as a desktop OS AT ALL, it's just intended to hook people into Windows tablets in the future. Plus, they can make a Microsoft App Store, walled-garden and pitch the idea of a unified platform to developers. (of course they give it real cheap to the OEM's too).

So, Windows 8 is pitched at everyone EXCEPT the people actually using it.

And game devs.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20431 on: February 02, 2013, 12:42:57 pm »

My local gamestops aren't expected to have Fire Emblem Awakening shipped in until the 8th D:
It's FEF, not FEOF

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20432 on: February 02, 2013, 01:42:51 pm »

DIfficult, no it isn't. But if it is a desktop OS, it should start on the damn desktop. If it doesn't, then what are you trying to hide in your system installed on a non-tablet?
They could've saved themselves sometime not making a pointless desktop version, then.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20433 on: February 02, 2013, 01:49:00 pm »

What, no one here has heard of Classic Shell?

Quick download, install, and done. You now start on the desktop and have a proper start button.

And thus Windows 8 no longer sucks.

(Admittedly, they should have this option in the first place tyvm)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20434 on: February 02, 2013, 01:54:29 pm »

Yeah, Win8 would be unusable without Classic Shell.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #20435 on: February 02, 2013, 02:45:31 pm »

Or "Pokki" which is what I have been using to add a pseudo-start button to the bottom left of the screen. Took a little time to set the computer up but it seems to be doing everything that I want aside from random crashes that I find to be inexplicable. These crashes occur most frequently when I am clicking the power button on the laptop to put it into hibernate mode. Everything seems fine until I open it up later to read my stored up firefox tabs and then it goes through the full power on bit and informs me that it crashed and that all my tabs are now gone. I restore from the restore session that firefox has but it sucks since I have very limited data to use each month >:(
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #20436 on: February 02, 2013, 03:06:34 pm »

Oh, shit. There is far more math homework than I expected. The worksheets were cleverly concealed on the course website. It's all doable, but it's time-consuming and I don't have a day off of work until it's due.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20437 on: February 02, 2013, 04:20:08 pm »

Just watched: Augustus the First Emperor.

Three full hours of a good movie. But why the rage thread?

See, Augustus is giving his final soliloquy, as epic as the movie is so. After seeing his tragedy and his regrets coalescing around his realization of his failure to cement Caesar's dream, you still can but do anything except feel awed by this one who made Rome so peaceful and great.

And then surprise Jesus to the face.

Never mind Augustus wouldn't have liked Jesus for being religiously intolerant or subversive to Roman peace, or the fact that Jesus failed to achieve Caesar's dream (whilst also undoing Augustus's work); but in the entire 3 hours no mention of Christianity, foreshadowing or even brief mentions of it can be found.
This completely out of character line, emphasized at the end as somehow Augustus's greatest achievement just robs the movie of its atmosphere and meaning.

And then end credits.

♫Yo Augustus, I'mma let you finish, but Jesus of Nazareth still has some of the best OOC of all tiiiiiIIIIIIiiime♫ - St Paul, on the Romans.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20438 on: February 02, 2013, 07:47:56 pm »

What, no one here has heard of Classic Shell?

Quick download, install, and done. You now start on the desktop and have a proper start button.

And thus Windows 8 no longer sucks.
It still sucks because this isn't there as an install option.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20439 on: February 03, 2013, 02:54:45 am »

Just watched: Augustus the First Emperor.

Three full hours of a good movie. But why the rage thread?

See, Augustus is giving his final soliloquy, as epic as the movie is so. After seeing his tragedy and his regrets coalescing around his realization of his failure to cement Caesar's dream, you still can but do anything except feel awed by this one who made Rome so peaceful and great.

And then surprise Jesus to the face.

Never mind Augustus wouldn't have liked Jesus for being religiously intolerant or subversive to Roman peace, or the fact that Jesus failed to achieve Caesar's dream (whilst also undoing Augustus's work); but in the entire 3 hours no mention of Christianity, foreshadowing or even brief mentions of it can be found.
This completely out of character line, emphasized at the end as somehow Augustus's greatest achievement just robs the movie of its atmosphere and meaning.

And then end credits.

♫Yo Augustus, I'mma let you finish, but Jesus of Nazareth still has some of the best OOC of all tiiiiiIIIIIIiiime♫ - St Paul, on the Romans.
*ahem*
HUUUURGUGHUGHUGHURGHURGHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFRUITLESSRAGEBECAUSEICANTTIMETRAVEL
*ahem*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20440 on: February 03, 2013, 03:25:21 am »

Just when I think I know the limits of this craptastic computer, I am surprised once again. I can't even run a 13-year old game without frequent stuttering and graphical glitches. 13 years old! I don't even think the video settings are turned up all the way, and yet it's chugging along like it's trying to run Crysis or whatever!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20441 on: February 03, 2013, 03:34:58 am »

My school group has now demanded we switch from Unity to Unreal engine.  Never mind the hours I dumped into getting a very basic AI working, never mind the months of schooling I already have around Unity and C#, we apparently MUST switch.  Because shinies.  And because the upper classman with easily a year of experience over my head made it look so easy.  Never mind my experience in Unity comes up to around 6 months, plus concurrent experience (I was learning C# for the last 3 months) in a classroom with plenty of time devoted to learning it.  Compared to learning Unreal... I'd have to scrounge up spare time over the next 4 months to achieve more than I have managed in Unity so far.

No.  No encouragement.  I can't just "BY DAH PAWAH OF GERY SKALL" this into happening.  No "but it's so easy if only you just--" No.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20442 on: February 03, 2013, 03:39:04 am »

Fuck isopropyl alcohol. It stings like hell, even the fumes do. And it smells like terrible vodka.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20443 on: February 03, 2013, 03:49:15 am »

My HD keeps getting full. I always have a few gigs free, but I have to constantly delete stuff. I feel like it gets full from nothing. And now I need a dozen g, and I can't seem to find enough stuff that I don't mind to delete. Maybe I should transfer more stuff to my other HD. Even though I should also make a save.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20444 on: February 03, 2013, 04:03:36 am »

They could've saved themselves sometime not making a pointless desktop version, then.

idk if you're getting the strategy. Forcing desktop users to acclimatize to the Metro system is a key part of their migration strategy. Nobody was really buying into the Windows Phone 7 OS. They hope that by shoving Metro in desktop users faces, then Metro on Tablets will gain customers due to the lazy factor of buying what you already know.
Pages: 1 ... 1361 1362 [1363] 1364 1365 ... 3345