Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699494 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Anti-Something Edition
« Reply #20370 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »

He watches over us all, always. Even those who don't know of his existence are but playtoys of the god of dick moves.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20371 on: January 31, 2013, 11:40:14 pm »

Space lab in space. That won't be my future home. I would rather have a space lab underwater.
So... a sea laboratory of some sort? In the future?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #20372 on: January 31, 2013, 11:42:50 pm »

Hard drives will be massive by then. So, put a space lab in a hard drive, put the hard drive in space, and now you have a Space Lab in the C:\ !
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20373 on: February 01, 2013, 12:03:15 am »

Especially if DNA data storage becomes commercial. I mean, it won't be good for like a computer hard drive, unless we figure out a really quick way to decode and encode it... But for set-it-and-forget-it storage? Exabytes in a thumb-drive.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20374 on: February 01, 2013, 12:16:06 am »

DNA is interesting because it works it uses quaternary instead of binary, thus a single base pair can be used to represent two bits.
If we made a molecular structure like DNA, but utilizing more types of base pairs, the amount of data it could hold would increase exponentially.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20375 on: February 01, 2013, 12:21:32 am »

This is my ignorance shining through, but I thought all data storage had to boil down to 1s and 0s? Wouldn't more base pairs muddle that? o_o I mean AT as 1 and CG as 0...

Okay >w> I really know nothing about data storage. x3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20376 on: February 01, 2013, 12:26:44 am »

Hard drives will be massive by then. So, put a space lab in a hard drive, put the hard drive in space, and now you have a Space Lab in the C:\ !
You...gah. That pun. >.<

This is my ignorance shining through, but I thought all data storage had to boil down to 1s and 0s?
Currently, yes. In the future, no. Quantum computers have Qubits, for example. Those are 1, 0, or both (superpositioned).
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20377 on: February 01, 2013, 12:29:00 am »

This is my ignorance shining through, but I thought all data storage had to boil down to 1s and 0s? Wouldn't more base pairs muddle that? o_o I mean AT as 1 and CG as 0...

In a computer, yes. Digital computers can only handle 1's and 0's, but that dosn't mean that is the only form of data storage man kind has ever known.
Take for example a book. It stores data as a series of markings that form shapes. No even close to binary! If you then scan each page and safe as a .pdf your computer will then translate that into a binary format.
DNA is a molecule (Two, if you want to be specific) that has its own way of storing data in chemical base pairs, of which there are four types, thus it is base 4. While a computer only knows on and off, and we express this as 1 and 0, DNA knows guanine, adenine, thymine, and cytosine, and these could easily be expressed as 0, 1, 2 and 3.
A chemical compound like DNA but with more pairs can express greater range, thus less is used to show more.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20378 on: February 01, 2013, 12:32:37 am »

It does boil down to 0 or 1, but when you have e.g. 4 possible letters, each letter repesents 2 bits. With 8 possible letters, each letter stores 3 bits, 16 letters = 4 bits per letter, etc.

There doesn't necessarily have to be a 1:1 relationship between letters and bits. e.g. with a 3-value system (base 3 numbers) you can still represent every possible number. The same with base-10. There is no exact between binary and base-10, but they can still both represent the same range of values.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #20379 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:49 am »

Y'know, talking about DNA and data storage really adds a whole new meaning to "thumb drive".
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20380 on: February 01, 2013, 01:06:58 am »

It does boil down to 0 or 1, but when you have e.g. 4 possible letters, each letter repesents 2 bits. With 8 possible letters, each letter stores 3 bits, 16 letters = 4 bits per letter, etc.

There doesn't necessarily have to be a 1:1 relationship between letters and bits. e.g. with a 3-value system (base 3 numbers) you can still represent every possible number. The same with base-10. There is no exact between binary and base-10, but they can still both represent the same range of values.
Binary is used because it is a simpler system. Either it is there or it is not there. For our current computer structures, it's easier to use this system. Humans use different structures to carry out calculations (chemicals and the like). This causes us to perform calculations in a different manner from computers. But I'm starting to get off on a tangent.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20381 on: February 01, 2013, 01:15:22 am »

Y'know, talking about DNA and data storage really adds a whole new meaning to "thumb drive".

I read an article about a guy who lost one of his fingers in an accident, and got a prosthetic with a flash drive in it.

Especially if DNA data storage becomes commercial. I mean, it won't be good for like a computer hard drive, unless we figure out a really quick way to decode and encode it... But for set-it-and-forget-it storage? Exabytes in a thumb-drive.

Mutation would be a bitch. "Oh shit, my hard drive has cancer."

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #20382 on: February 01, 2013, 01:34:43 am »

Adds a whole new meaning to "giving someone the finger".

I'm on a roll tonight.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20383 on: February 01, 2013, 02:05:56 am »

Yea and truly, humanity will have reached its pinnacle only when one can give someone else three thousand cat gifs and flip them off at the same time.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20384 on: February 01, 2013, 02:39:32 am »

Yea and truly, humanity will have reached its pinnacle only when one can give someone else three thousand cat gifs encoded in cat DNA and flip them off at the same time.

FTFY
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 3345