Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1332 1333 [1334] 1335 1336 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691390 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Cuddle Harder Edition
« Reply #19995 on: January 18, 2013, 04:21:11 pm »

Oh hell. My remaining underling is SO craptastic.

She spent a whole week working on one jsp/action. I've come by every day to ask what I can do for her and where she thinks she is. I've done everything short of holding her hand. And it turns out she has written about 30 lines of boilerplate jsp code and an action that didn't even bother to connect to the business layer. Today I sat her down at my computer and walked her through her assignment over the course of an hour and a half. Of course, this means I just completed all the code necessary, and then went ahead and committed it. I fear I may have gone to fast and she didn't understand what i was showing her. But she never once asked me to explain anything differently. I knew she wasn't good, but I never thought it would be like this. The woman used to code for NASA damn it...

Oh, wait, what was the last thing I heard about NASA code quality? Something about the Mars Climate Orbiter?
At least you get underlings. I just have co-workers unfit to be underlings. Who will ask me how to handle something, and I go into a 5-minute, step-by-step detailed procedural analysis of the problem and all possible solutions....only for them to go, "Okay, thanks." And then step the next cube over to our team lead and ask him the same goddamn question. I swear, next time someone pulls that shit on me and then comes back to ask something else, I'm just pointing them over to his cube.

And we're talking people that have been here 5-10 years longer than I have.

Did you catch one of the recent episodes of the Daily Show where they talked about how the ATF has been systematically neutered as a Federal Agency over the last 15 years? It put all of your frustration posts about work in context for me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19996 on: January 18, 2013, 04:28:42 pm »

The dogs get into a fight. My mom is giving me shit about wanting to help seperating them. My stepdad is probably going to give me shit for not helping to seperate them.

Also got a letter from the Department of Labor claming I didn't work enough hours. Total bullshit. Only way that was possible if they were counting the days the college was closed for Christmas.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #19997 on: January 18, 2013, 04:38:06 pm »

I thought ATF doesn't actually exist anymore. I worked for the AT part for a couple years. It was the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19998 on: January 18, 2013, 04:45:13 pm »

I thought ATF doesn't actually exist anymore. I worked for the AT part for a couple years. It was the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.
It got split in 2003. The part you worked for handles the taxation side and is now part of the Treasury Department. The part I work for is on the law enforcement side of things and has steadily had its mandate expanded (it's now BATFE -- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives) but not its budget. Which leads to a lot of the derp.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19999 on: January 18, 2013, 05:29:43 pm »

I've resolved to begin reaserch into how the Thing would be created. BIOLOGY IS NOT ADAPTABLE ENOUGH, SO I MUST MAKE IT SO!
Study the pigeon.

It is your first step.
Studying the cuckoo bird actually.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20000 on: January 18, 2013, 06:05:31 pm »

It got split in 2003. The part you worked for handles the taxation side and is now part of the Treasury Department. The part I work for is on the law enforcement side of things and has steadily had its mandate expanded (it's now BATFE -- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives) but not its budget. Which leads to a lot of the derp.

Oh, so there's still an ATF. I was wondering why people still talked about it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20001 on: January 18, 2013, 09:47:08 pm »

I got my ass kicked by a video game. Not the AI enemies in the video game so much, but literally everything that could have gone wrong did.

It was Skyrim. Starting off, I exit my house and find a dragon. It isn't immediately hostile to me, so I squeeze in some cool screenshots of it, using the "TFC 1" command to freeze time and fly around in camera, while it flutters around spraying fire at ghosts or some shit. Eventually, I get all the screenies I can really think to while idly watching it, and decide to shoot it in the ass with my bow. This pisses it off quite nicely, and I get a few good screenies of the ensuing fight. Then I keel over dead because I forgot about the healing of the wounds.

So I restart, and this time after leaving my house, it's a frost dragon that greets me. I get some more screens of this one before also engaging it in battle. After I shoot it, it wanders off to kill some wolves. While I'm busy fighting off all manner of other ground-based threats, it apparently flew just slightly out of range, such that it dropped it's aggravated state towards me. I tried baiting it with a resurrected giant it had been pestering earlier, and it ignored the giant, I missed all my shots with my bow, and it simply flew off into the sunset, probably laughing at me. I promptly yelled at my screen "Get your scaly ass back here so I can shoot you, ya' coward!" which of course did nothing. So I got no dragon kill today.

After that I head out to a ruin I'd recently found but didn't have time to explore, Ansilvund. This one was absolutely horrible. Everything whipped my ass, I wasted 35 lockpicks on a master lock when there was a key to the door right beside me, and promptly got my ass smacked by a conjurer who jumped me on the staircase. I'm not entirely sure if he even hit me, or if I got a foot clipped through the floor, causing the game to decide the only way to fix this stupidity was to kill me. I restart from the beginning of that section, and go through the motions again. This time I get through the door no problem, and even evade the draugr that were woken when I picked up the key, by carrying the key upstairs before putting it in my inventory. I go through the door, and face the damn conjurer again, this time at range. I miss all of 20 or so shots I take, because that bastard wouldn't hold still (which never stopped me before, but I was already enrage by the rest of the bloody dungeon), and then my last shot ends up hitting my companion, Shani, in the back of the head because she decided "Hey! I better help out by standing in front of the guy shooting a bow!" I don't think the extra brain damage made her any less incompetent. With my cover completely blown (She had been prepping to toss fireballs at the conjurer, and tipped him off to both of us), I actually managed to hit him once in the arm, then in the chest, killing him.

So after healing the idiot and walking upstairs, We get ambushed by a draugr who came through a door and ran across the catwalks towards me. The bastard hit every single trap on the bridge, making a ruckus, and the fight alerted the half a dozen draugr I'd completely avoided earlier. This time, Shani decided she'd go deal with them by herself, and ran off, making it even more obvious to the undead where I was. In the end I had to shoot them all down from the catwalk, anyway. Then I tried to cross the catwalk myself, and was tossed like a ragdoll by a wall trap triggered by debris of some sort I'd kicked over onto the pressure plate under it, landing me not 10 feet from the last of the undead whom I'd apparently missed. I survive this and walk back upstairs and try it again, this time opting to intentionally trigger the plate and then leave the junk I'd used to hold it so it doesn't trigger again as I go by. Which failed, resulting in my death. The third time across the bridge, I survived and made it into the hall on the other side, where some minor draugr whacked me with sticks for a bit while my companions goofed off. Not realizing that they were lagging, I continued on to the end of the dungeon and killed the bitch, Lu'ah, who in my opinion got the roll of "Most cliche villain we can pump into this game, somehow." She even ranted at you with disembodied voices. I got into the chamber, and two shots was all it took to bring her down, ending the little quest I got just for stumbling into her dungeon. Blah-blah-blah I saved the spirits of these two ancient nords and got a little gift in return. Then I had to go back and save my companions from eternal idiocy because they somehow decided they should stop following me.

TL:DR; dragons are trolling bastards and Ansilvund is in my top five list of places I never want to return to, ever again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20002 on: January 18, 2013, 09:49:42 pm »

I really have to actually play Skyrim again.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #20003 on: January 18, 2013, 11:28:47 pm »

LLIV LLIV LLIV LLIV LLIV LLIV

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20004 on: January 18, 2013, 11:42:12 pm »

... shouldn't that be CIV?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20005 on: January 18, 2013, 11:45:53 pm »

Crossbows and bows are underpowered. Everyone plays vanguard too much. Halberds are OP. Mauls are annoying as fuck. Arenas are not meant to hold a 24-person free-for-all. The usual.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #20006 on: January 18, 2013, 11:51:38 pm »

... shouldn't that be CIV?

...It should be DIV DIV DIV DIV DIV. I can not Roman Numerals.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20007 on: January 18, 2013, 11:56:46 pm »

BILL BILL BILL BILL

Bill Nye the Science Guy!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #20008 on: January 19, 2013, 02:07:16 am »

BILL BILL BILL BILL

Bill Nye the Science Guy!

399 399 399 399
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20009 on: January 19, 2013, 07:29:29 am »

Well, there are several things irritating me right now. Those things happen to be people who say "I believe..." when talking about what they think and not actually about what they believe, people who feed into their delusions, people who think with their emotions on a regular basis, and people that use moronic slang or chatspeak on any forum, imageboard or part of a forum or imageboard that isn't 4chan's /b/ board or some other internet-based cesspool like 9gag, reddit, Gaia Online, or Facebook.

Then again I'm probably more irritable than usual because all I had to eat yesterday was a bowl of ramen and I haven't had any protein in three days. I am craving a cheeseburger like an [EXPUNGED] working for [REDACTED] craves a [EXPUNGED], only I don't get paid to go to Burger King and buy a quadruple stacker and a large side of chicken fries, then eat it in front of Safeway after purchasing one of those Monster Rehab energy drinks with the green tea and the pineapple juice. Nor do any individuals pay thirty dollars a month to watch me eat it via a monthly live stream.
Pages: 1 ... 1332 1333 [1334] 1335 1336 ... 3345