Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1288 1289 [1290] 1291 1292 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700502 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Ho-Ho-Ho RAEG Edition
« Reply #19335 on: December 27, 2012, 06:50:46 pm »

My hand hurts so bad today that I literally feel like I'm going to vomit. This makes me angry.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19336 on: December 27, 2012, 06:55:41 pm »

Trying to play fairly high-skill custom maps in Starcraft with people who don't understand the concept of a tutorial, >don't speak english> and refuse to acknowledge communication.

I actually want to hurt people, this made me so fucking angry. >Why would you go into a game's custom map without even knowing how to play the game?<
There are actually a number of connectors here.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19337 on: December 27, 2012, 07:06:47 pm »

I mean, they spoke English, but barely. And the communication was nonverbal, i.e pinging the map to imply that something's up with what's going on there.

And when I say "not knowing how to play the game", I'm referring to Starcraft at all. As I understand it, they installed the game first time, went "ooh, arcade, that sounds cool", happened to find the game I was joining and joined themself.

EDIT: Also, since the map was just a normal skirmish map with some observer stuff thrown in, they could have played it in their native language, as far as the actual game is concerned, so that's not an out.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 07:08:42 pm by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19338 on: December 27, 2012, 09:37:28 pm »

Anyone here ever read The Salvation War? I got it recommended to me, but I couldn't read it after I realized that it was basically FUCK YEAH MURICA KICKS ASS WIHT TEKNOLOGEE.
Some highlights:
1. Every weapon is described in excessive detail, saying exactly how it dismembers the enemy, yet the demons basically seem to be humans with red skin.
2. A messenger demon sent to herald the apocalypse to humans - keep in mind they're 20 feet tall - is killed by Thailand police ...for littering.
3. Bill Clinton somehow knows how to tell if a succubus is a real woman or not and casually kills one with a shotgun he pulls out of nowhere. BILL. CLINTON.

Overall, teh oomanz win easily and there's no excitement in the book because you know the demons lose because MURICA.
In essence, I didn't like it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #19339 on: December 27, 2012, 09:39:30 pm »

Are you sure it wasn't supposed to be a satire? That sound like a satire to me.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19340 on: December 27, 2012, 09:40:14 pm »

Poe's law, man.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #19341 on: December 27, 2012, 09:42:14 pm »

You can do a satire extremely badly. And last I checked Salvation war was either an extremely bad military boner stroking fiction or a bad satire. But given the quality it doesn't really matter if it's either.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19342 on: December 27, 2012, 09:42:52 pm »

Are you sure it wasn't supposed to be a satire? That sound like a satire to me.
Some other random guys' opinion on it. He must be validated!
You can do a satire extremely badly. And last I checked Salvation war was either an extremely bad military boner stroking fiction or a bad satire. But given the quality it doesn't really matter if it's either.
Yep.
Sig! Onol

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #19343 on: December 27, 2012, 09:43:35 pm »

The problem with bad satire is that you can just interpret it as satire of bad satire.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19344 on: December 27, 2012, 09:44:22 pm »

The problem with bad satire is that you can just interpret it as satire of bad satire.
It's written completely seriously, unfortunately.
Sig! Onol

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19345 on: December 27, 2012, 09:44:36 pm »

Of course if you do something intentionally bad the fact remains that it's still bad.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19346 on: December 27, 2012, 09:50:56 pm »

Anyone here ever read The Salvation War? I got it recommended to me, but I couldn't read it after I realized that it was basically FUCK YEAH MURICA KICKS ASS WIHT TEKNOLOGEE.
It's more Humanity Fuck Yeah than America Fuck Yeah. Russia and China are heavily involved in the war. America is prominent, but we have the most powerful military by far. It would be stranger if we weren't at the forefront of a global alliance against an outside threat.
1. Every weapon is described in excessive detail, saying exactly how it dismembers the enemy, yet the demons basically seem to be humans with red skin.
For this you have to know about the author. Stewart Slade is a weapon buff. He loves weapons and has done research on weapons for all of his past works. (The last one, The Big One, was an alternate history concerning the end of World War II)

You didn't read very far if you think that about the demons. The more alien ones get introduced as the story goes on, as well as the other lifeforms of Hell.
2. A messenger demon sent to herald the apocalypse to humans - keep in mind they're 20 feet tall - is killed by Thailand police ...for littering.
Just because they're intimidating and huge doesn't make them bulletproof. Indeed, that is kind of the point.
3. Bill Clinton somehow knows how to tell if a succubus is a real woman or not and casually kills one with a shotgun he pulls out of nowhere. BILL. CLINTON.
Oh, come on, that was awesome. As for a justification, humanity is well aware of Hell and demons by that point in the story. The succubi function by way of hallucinogenic pheromones, but that doesn't make them foolproof. The shotgun belonged to his Secret Service detail.
Overall, teh oomanz win easily and there's no excitement in the book because you know the demons lose because MURICA.
In essence, I didn't like it.
That humanity wins isn't the real focus of the story. Our victory is clear from the moment we find out the demons never left the bronze age. The focus of the story is about our expansion of knowledge and the individual goals of the characters, rather than the war as a whole.

Panteocide is a better story because it involves a lot of intrigue, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #19347 on: December 27, 2012, 09:51:21 pm »

Poe's law, man.
I prefer to think that some people just don't realize they're making satire.

From the thread you linked, Xantalos, it sounds like it was written by a 12 year-old with a milfic obsession, which it clearly wasn't. I would immediately cease contact with anyone who recommended it to me, for your sanity and their physical health.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19348 on: December 27, 2012, 09:55:05 pm »

I don't think he's upset that it was killed by the Thailand police.  I think he's more upset about the reason. Littering?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19349 on: December 27, 2012, 09:56:36 pm »

I don't think he's upset that it was killed by the Thailand police.  I think he's more upset about the reason. Littering?
Halt! Criminal scum!
Pages: 1 ... 1288 1289 [1290] 1291 1292 ... 3345