Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702209 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Kinda Progressive Edition
« Reply #19020 on: December 14, 2012, 12:29:39 pm »

Gotta love the US justice system. A while back, a cousin - I think, never remember evermeeting her, don't necessarily care - was killed in a hit-and-run, leaving behind a (now) 2-year-old girl, who is currently in the care of my step-aunt. The guy who hit her, they said he was supposed to be sentenced on January 4th. They sentenced him Wednesday. They also said he'd get 3-4 years; he got 18 months, for orphaning a little girl.

And in other rage, my stepdad has repeated his demand that I find well-paying employment, with the idea of turning over the bulk of my income "for the good of everyone"(he actually said that. He meant, of course, himself). Apparently, try harder is his plan for me to deal with the fact that I've been trying to find a job for several years.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Kinda Progressive Edition
« Reply #19021 on: December 14, 2012, 12:37:43 pm »

Gotta love the US justice system. A while back, a cousin - I think, never remember evermeeting her, don't necessarily care - was killed in a hit-and-run, leaving behind a (now) 2-year-old girl, who is currently in the care of my step-aunt. The guy who hit her, they said he was supposed to be sentenced on January 4th. They sentenced him Wednesday. They also said he'd get 3-4 years; he got 18 months, for orphaning a little girl.
I'd need more details before condemning him. If he was at fault (besides the running away after hitting her), I'm pretty sure he'd get more than 18 months.

* kaijyuu isn't really sympathetic to vengeance anyway; the threat of 3-4 years is good enough deterrent that no one's going to intentionally do something like that.

And in other rage, my stepdad has repeated his demand that I find well-paying employment, with the idea of turning over the bulk of my income "for the good of everyone"(he actually said that. He meant, of course, himself). Apparently, try harder is his plan for me to deal with the fact that I've been trying to find a job for several years.
Fun stuff. I do hope that if you DO get a good job, you're moving out, right? :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19022 on: December 14, 2012, 12:48:31 pm »

Slashdot story - "New Hampshire Cops Use Taser On Woman Buying Too Many iPhones"

"A woman who said she was asked to leave New Hampshire's Pheasant Lane Mall because she wanted to buy too many iPhones was pinned down by Nashua police and zapped by a Taser (video) as she shrieked in front of crowds of shoppers Tuesday. The Chinese woman from Newton, Mass blamed a language barrier for the confrontation outside the Apple Store in the Pheasant Lane Mall Tuesday afternoon. Police say Li knew exactly what they were telling her and simply refused to comply. Police said Li had $16,000 in cash in her purse at the time of her arrest and may have been purchasing the phones for unauthorized export resale."

Of course, they use the $16,000 cash to justify the tasering, but they couldn't have known that until after they tasered her.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19023 on: December 14, 2012, 01:04:55 pm »

Slashdot story - "New Hampshire Cops Use Taser On Woman Buying Too Many iPhones"

"A woman who said she was asked to leave New Hampshire's Pheasant Lane Mall because she wanted to buy too many iPhones was pinned down by Nashua police and zapped by a Taser (video) as she shrieked in front of crowds of shoppers Tuesday. The Chinese woman from Newton, Mass blamed a language barrier for the confrontation outside the Apple Store in the Pheasant Lane Mall Tuesday afternoon. Police say Li knew exactly what they were telling her and simply refused to comply. Police said Li had $16,000 in cash in her purse at the time of her arrest and may have been purchasing the phones for unauthorized export resale."

Of course, they use the $16,000 cash to justify the tasering, but they couldn't have known that until after they tasered her.

Silly Reelya, anything's justified if an after-the-fact strip search can drum up something mildly suspicious. In the same way that an unwarranted raid is perfectly okay if drugs are planted found during it.  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19024 on: December 14, 2012, 01:13:52 pm »

Cross-posting from sad thread:

Elementary school shooting in Connecticut, 27 dead including 18 kids.
I hope the NRA keeps their goddamn fucking traps shut. If I so much as see one instance of "Well, if only those kids had been armed..." I'm going to rip somebody's brain out through their asshole and then feed it to them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19025 on: December 14, 2012, 01:15:28 pm »

Silly Reelya, anything's justified if an after-the-fact strip search can drum up something mildly suspicious. In the same way that an unwarranted raid is perfectly okay if drugs are planted found during it.  ::)
Except, of course, the Constitution forbids any such items being used in evidence at trial.

Supposedly, anyway. Everyone knows that the Constitution is an old document that means nothing nowadays.

I read some of the comments on that, though. It seems like she was told repeatedly to leave the store(which is not exactly hard, even with a language barrier) before cops were called. Tazering her was still a bit excessive force, however.

I hope the NRA keeps their goddamn fucking traps shut. If I so much as see one instance of "Well, if only those kids had been armed..." I'm going to rip somebody's brain out through their asshole and then feed it to them.
What the fuck is with all the shootings nowadays?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19026 on: December 14, 2012, 01:20:36 pm »

Maybe somebody started the "We didn't start the fire" mode.

You know what this means.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19027 on: December 14, 2012, 01:21:10 pm »

I read some of the comments on that, though. It seems like she was told repeatedly to leave the store(which is not exactly hard, even with a language barrier) before cops were called. Tazering her was still a bit excessive force, however.
Actually, when they tasered her it was outside the store, so either she'd left, or they'd already removed her, and they had 4 cops holding her face down on the pavement with 1 arm pinned behind her back / a cops knee in her back.

There was no safety justification, are the cops legally allowed to use tasers purely to make people more compliant? BTW since she was technically outside the store by then, couldn't they just have let her go and told her not to re-enter the store?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:23:13 pm by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19028 on: December 14, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »

What the fuck is with all the shootings nowadays?
It had actually been a quiet couple of months (trust me, I know anytime there's a significant mass shooting event). Right before the holidays too...I can't imagine if my daughter died in something like this. Especially if the shooter then died. I'd probably have to be restrained to keep from desecrating his corpse. Repeatedly.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19029 on: December 14, 2012, 01:24:23 pm »

There was no safety justification, are the cops legally allowed to use tasers purely to make people more compliant?
Yes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19030 on: December 14, 2012, 01:41:16 pm »

There was no safety justification, are the cops legally allowed to use tasers purely to make people more compliant?
Yes.
Yes. Because 'we thought dat der 3 year old was goin to murder us wiv his toy truck!'
Legally, as far as I know, tasers are considered "nonlethal weapons", which is a total bullshit term, since a weapon by it's very nature is supposed to be lethal. Because they, on a legal scale, one not based on reality, are not deadly, there's essentially no restriction on their use, either by law enforcement or civilians. If there were, it certainly doesn't stop my stepdad from using his to tease the dogs(he originally got it to zap them if they start fighting, which they haven't done in many months).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19031 on: December 14, 2012, 01:44:28 pm »

Akura, your stepdad sounds like a piece of work.

And by "piece of work", I mean of course, "someone who should never, ever, ever reproduce or be otherwise emulated in a future form".

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19032 on: December 14, 2012, 01:54:32 pm »

Also heard about this, makes me rage so much :/

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19033 on: December 14, 2012, 02:12:09 pm »

I think I understand the concept behind Eternal September and why the government wants to censor and regulate the internet. I think I died a little inside by doing so, which is impossible seeing as I've been mostly dead inside since the early to mid-nineties. I am going to leave it at that.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19034 on: December 14, 2012, 02:23:32 pm »

flash player, just... flash player.

It crashes with the current setup used at my college, (4 stations hosted off of one computer, works fairly well excluding FLASH)  Prior versions of flash worked but I see no way to to get them to install themselves, as it keeps telling you a new version is available so download that and not this version. 

I dislike flash player but it is necessary to have in todays web, well, mostly necessary...
Pages: 1 ... 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 ... 3345