Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1259 1260 [1261] 1262 1263 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703333 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEG Like It's 1994! Edition
« Reply #18900 on: December 11, 2012, 09:20:50 am »

That was weird. You edited that after I loaded that post, so when I quoted it there was suddenly extra text. I clicked 'back' and it was gone, quoted again and thetextwasdtilltherewtf.
When you clicked back, it loaded the copy from your browser's cache. Simple answer. Back doesn't reload a page, it reverts to the stored copy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEG Like It's 1994! Edition
« Reply #18901 on: December 11, 2012, 09:23:44 am »

Are smartphones allowed in the test or is this take-home? If you want extra marks, photograph the image, stick it into google's reverse image search, find original and comment on that.

Otherwise just write: "The use of colors in this painting was excellent. They certainly achieved the effect those colors are best known for. They were vibrant, and of the hue that the colors were. The artist managed to bring out the colors inherent in those colors".

Since this is art criticism, replace all the terms it used with the longest synonyms known to man, and try some irrelevant wanky name-dropping that cannot be proved or disproved. Say it was Kafka-esque.
Nothing. You're supposed to know what the painting looks like, or extrapolate it from the different shades of gray used.
Then give the exact explanation the teacher wants to hear.

I think I talked my way out of it, so it should be fine. It's not like it's an important course anyway, it's only there because they have the school has to do it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #18902 on: December 11, 2012, 09:30:15 am »

"This portrait's even lighting reminds one of van Gogh's Sunflower, telling you that the artist wishes to be loved, to be happy, but the brushstrokes around the edges blend the air and the object, as if it was made of dancing light, just like Monet's style, showing vibrant movement, a singular capture of light's capering. The overall yellow hue is bright and warm, and the round plate's dull metalness counterposes and perhaps even juxaposes itself as an opposing, cold, geometric, and inorganic force of man next to Nature's own work. It bal–"
"This is a dessen of a cheese wheel on a plate, Urist. The paper happens to be yellow because it's cheap."
"Shut up, you don't know art!"

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18903 on: December 11, 2012, 09:32:57 am »

((Van Gogh, happy?))

Funniest thing is that for the end of the year we have to make "a work of art" and come tell about that. It's suprising what people got away with.

*I'm studying a combination Latin and Maths, for those wondering. Why, o Why does this have to include art.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18904 on: December 11, 2012, 10:15:56 am »

Because art is super-fun. I took at least a dozen art classes throughout Uni, and I have to say... I have NEVER seen a question like that.

Actually, I don't recall ever getting a question. Maybe a few about tools to make sure we could communicate effectively?

What sort of wonky-ass art class includes BS like that.

(Art History, I presume? I never did take that one, if so, good to know I was right to avoid it on account of it being stupid)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18905 on: December 11, 2012, 10:55:46 am »

It's pretty much art history stuff.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18906 on: December 11, 2012, 11:05:41 am »

Van Gogh was pretty badass. Painting notveryrealistic paintings in a time when all paintings were veryrealistic.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18907 on: December 11, 2012, 11:10:34 am »

And he never sold any, and died poor and alone. (Also, very depressed). Happened to a lot of postimpressionistic painters.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18908 on: December 11, 2012, 12:13:07 pm »

That's part of what makes him badass. Poor guy.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18909 on: December 11, 2012, 12:23:01 pm »

And he never sold any, and died poor and alone. (Also, very depressed). Happened to a lot of postimpressionistic painters.
Read up on him, whilst he did have some major depression, not all of that is literally true. He was gaining recognition before his death for his paintings, and his brother was with him when he died.

Him and his brother were very close, but I guess the extreme amount of romanticizing of his life, tends to make people whitewash just how many friends he did have, e.g. him and his brother became close friends with Gaugain, and traded paintings - when he was still alive. Gaugain was an influential figure in the art world - which just proves the idea that "nobody listened" just isn't true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_van_Gogh

There are actual references to him selling paintings, so it's a myth that he "never sold any". He is also mentioned as being praised with accolades by the art community in the years before his death.

In February 1890 he painted five versions of L'Arlésienne (Madame Ginoux), based on a charcoal sketch Gauguin had produced when Madame Ginoux sat for both artists at the beginning of November 1888.[124] The version intended for Madame Ginoux is lost. It was attempting to deliver this painting to Madame Ginoux in Arles that precipitated his February relapse.[125]
^ That was clearly a sale.

His work was praised by Albert Aurier in the Mercure de France in January 1890, when he was described as "a genius".[126] That February he was invited by Les XX, a society of avant-garde painters in Brussels, to participate in their annual exhibition. At the opening dinner, Les XX member Henry de Groux insulted van Gogh's work. Toulouse-Lautrec demanded satisfaction, while Signac declared he would continue to fight for van Gogh's honor if Lautrec should surrender. Later, while van Gogh's exhibit was on display with the Artistes Indépendants in Paris, Monet said that his work was the best in the show.[127] In February 1890, following the birth of his nephew Vincent Willem, he wrote in a letter to his mother, that with the new addition to the family, he "started right away to make a picture for him, to hang in their bedroom, branches of white almond blossom against a blue sky."[128]
^ This is 1 year before his death, not afterwards, and a number of very famous artists praised his work, including Monet and Lautrec. Plus, he was highly praised in art magazines. And he was clearly in close contact with his brother's family, in the time before his death. So he was not alone - he had family, and professional recognition.

There seems to be a theory that other people drove him to despair, etc, due to their not appreciating his artistic talent. But read up on his life - it was his behavior which drove his friends away and antagonized people. He was insane/sick, people around him didn't make him sick.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:43:26 pm by Reelya »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #18910 on: December 11, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »

GAAAH! Some fucking companies took down minecraft style >.>
I am completely, one hundred percent okay with this.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18911 on: December 11, 2012, 03:00:04 pm »

There seems to be a theory that other people drove him to despair, etc, due to their not appreciating his artistic talent. But read up on his life - it was his behavior which drove his friends away and antagonized people. He was insane/sick, people around him didn't make him sick.
Or the fact that he could see invisible alien monsters and traveled to the future.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18912 on: December 11, 2012, 03:02:20 pm »

I've been reading a book called Pirate Cinema, that has a kid who has the government take away his family's internet access for pirating movies which generally ruins the family's lives.

Then I happened on this article, where it says France's government actually does this!  Crazy...    :-\
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #18913 on: December 11, 2012, 03:09:29 pm »

You are ok with perjury? Psy owns the copyright on Gangnam style, and he isn't issuing takedown notices. That means someone is perjuring themselves.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18914 on: December 11, 2012, 03:13:25 pm »

You are ok with perjury? Psy owns the copyright on Gangnam style, and he isn't issuing takedown notices. That means someone is perjuring themselves.

He's probably just tired of hearing it.  Can hardly blame him.  I wish somebody would issue takedowns everything related to those stupid rage face comics.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 1259 1260 [1261] 1262 1263 ... 3345