Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1253 1254 [1255] 1256 1257 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703985 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEG Like It's 1994! Edition
« Reply #18810 on: December 08, 2012, 08:38:20 pm »

Can we please get a news article up in here, so we can quit with all this completely baseless speculation about who she is or what she's been through, or whether or not she deserves sympathy, empathy or compassion for what is clearly a horrendous crime?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEG Like It's 1994! Edition
« Reply #18811 on: December 08, 2012, 09:26:50 pm »

1. To clarify, the question I meant to ask was; But why are insane people sent to asylums instead of prisons?
Because the purpose of prisons is to punish the sane for their actions. (Theoretically they're supposed to rehabilitate, but who believes that?) Punishing the insane does not prevent them from repeating their actions, indeed very little does, but we try to fix their mental illness all the same.

Over here, mentally ill people receives treatment instead of punishment precisely because they are not considered show to be held accountable for their actions. The justice system hinges upon criminals being able to tell "right" from "wrong" and still choose wrong. If a person is irrational, delusional, or otherwise unable to understand or envision the consequences of their actions, it throws the legal system off the table.

3. Point being - you said "Circumstance does not absolve you of responsibility for your actions". But you claim the circumstance of a burglary absolves you of the responsibility of that murder. Whether it's legal or not is irrelevant, we are talking about moral responsibility.
Obviously it is never a good thing to kill someone. However, when your own life is on the line, you have to defend it. We can't expect people to sacrifice themselves.

I am not arguing about whether or not people have a right to defend themselves. What I ask is simply, are there circumstances which absolves people of the responsibility of their actions?

The question then is, what if somebody is not capable of making rational choices at all?
Then they're probably a vegetable or need to stay in a padded room until they die.

You know this isn't true.

[/quote] I will also remind you that we know nothing of this woman's mental status. She could be completely rational, but a horrible person.
[/quote]
Can we please get a news article up in here, so we can quit with all this completely baseless speculation about who she is or what she's been through, or whether or not she deserves sympathy, empathy or compassion for what is clearly a horrendous crime?

I feel the question of this one individual's mental health is a bit behind the scope of the discussion, to be honest. We might as well base it on a hypothetical example as this one.

That said, from what little we know, I don't think walking into a Walmart bathroom to give birth speaks in the favour of her being sane.

Lastly, this is my last post on the subject for tonight. the clock is half four in the morning here, and I need to sleep. Feel free to get the last word, if you wish.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18812 on: December 08, 2012, 09:31:12 pm »

Theoretically they're supposed to rehabilitate, but who believes that?
So you punish drug addicts for their addictions?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18813 on: December 08, 2012, 09:39:45 pm »

The states do, to a large extent, yeah. Our "war on drugs" is basically a rolling human rights violation and our prison system, by and large, is shit. It's a rage worthy topic, but one better suited for a more dedicated thread (Progressive thread, maybe occupy, perhaps.).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:41:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18814 on: December 08, 2012, 10:00:54 pm »

The government does. I certainly don't agree with it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #18815 on: December 08, 2012, 10:15:03 pm »

Ask Hanslanda. He's posted a good bit on that topic here.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18816 on: December 08, 2012, 11:41:05 pm »

Hooray for clockwork oranges then.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18817 on: December 08, 2012, 11:51:43 pm »

I sure love being woken up from my dreams by a Jimi Hendrix wannabe then forced to listen to his twangy wangy gangbangy noise for a good hour or two.

Can you tell I'm being sarcastic? I sure hope you can.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18818 on: December 08, 2012, 11:53:01 pm »

I'd sarcastically reply, but you'd probably throw his guitar at me, from whereever you are that isn't here.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18819 on: December 09, 2012, 12:02:15 am »

I'd sarcastically reply, but you'd probably throw his guitar at me, from whereever you are that isn't here.
I'm a pacifist outside of video games and roleplay. Some of my girls, which are what I refer to my characters as, are also pacifists or at least passive-aggressive.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #18820 on: December 09, 2012, 12:24:16 am »

Even though it provides more information about me than I like, here's a news article that references the death. So far, the police haven't publicly declared it a murder or even direct confirmation that the lady gave birth to the child in the bathroom (Though they hint at it). From the stories running around the store immediately after it happened, though, the child was obviously killed. As all items that run through the rumor mill, however, I'm still more willing to go with whatever the coroner ends up saying. I doubt more information will come out until a court case, though. The situation is probably enough to keep things under tight wraps for a very long time.

It took me a moment to decide what I thought about the whole thing. I decided to be more upset with the action than the person - Whoever the woman is, I don't know her and I can't judge her. If I were put in a judge/jury position that would decide to condemn her or not, I would still give her a fair chance. What she did is reprehensible, but the degree of her mental and emotional stability would play a huge role in whether or not I decided whether she deserved a harsher sentence or not.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18821 on: December 09, 2012, 01:00:48 am »

Even though it provides more information about me than I like, here's a news article that references the death. So far, the police haven't publicly declared it a murder or even direct confirmation that the lady gave birth to the child in the bathroom (Though they hint at it). From the stories running around the store immediately after it happened, though, the child was obviously killed. As all items that run through the rumor mill, however, I'm still more willing to go with whatever the coroner ends up saying. I doubt more information will come out until a court case, though. The situation is probably enough to keep things under tight wraps for a very long time.

It took me a moment to decide what I thought about the whole thing. I decided to be more upset with the action than the person - Whoever the woman is, I don't know her and I can't judge her. If I were put in a judge/jury position that would decide to condemn her or not, I would still give her a fair chance. What she did is reprehensible, but the degree of her mental and emotional stability would play a huge role in whether or not I decided whether she deserved a harsher sentence or not.

That story is disturbing to begin with, but now knowing that it happened so close to where I am makes it all the worse. What the hell is wrong with people?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18822 on: December 09, 2012, 01:22:01 am »

That story is disturbing to begin with, but now knowing that it happened so close to where I am makes it all the worse. What the hell is wrong with people?

That they're people.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18823 on: December 09, 2012, 01:58:09 am »

Humans are incredibly flawed, imperfect creatures.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18824 on: December 09, 2012, 02:13:46 am »

Find me an unflawed, perfect creature for comparison.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 1253 1254 [1255] 1256 1257 ... 3345