Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1239 1240 [1241] 1242 1243 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705704 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: HP Fuckery Edition
« Reply #18600 on: December 04, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »

Counter Strike: Global Offensive competative match maker is broken. I have literally only been able to get into one such game, ever.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18601 on: December 04, 2012, 04:07:58 pm »

They're clearly not stupid; they just want to have exclusive control over the internet. They think you're stupid.
So, they think the many I's are stupid as well?
A mix of yes, no and "this will help you help us help you."

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18602 on: December 04, 2012, 04:26:18 pm »

I found out about the woman who put a cup of hot coffee she bought from McDonald's between her legs, drove off, and the coffee spilt everywhere. I think it's basic knowledge not to do that, else it will spill everywhere.

She proceeded to sue McDonald's and won, because it never told anyone not to put the cup between their legs.
I hate McDonald's as much as the next guy, but seriously? If you don't have common sense you are allowed to sue people?
I believe that there was more to that case then commonly thought.  It was still a stupid case, but much more understandable.
That or I'm getting my facts confused. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18603 on: December 04, 2012, 04:33:14 pm »

I found out about the woman who put a cup of hot coffee she bought from McDonald's between her legs, drove off, and the coffee spilt everywhere. I think it's basic knowledge not to do that, else it will spill everywhere.

She proceeded to sue McDonald's and won, because it never told anyone not to put the cup between their legs.
I hate McDonald's as much as the next guy, but seriously? If you don't have common sense you are allowed to sue people?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants
There was more.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #18604 on: December 04, 2012, 04:39:41 pm »

That article does not indicate any more. It even points out that there's a label right there on the cup warning you of how hot it is.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18605 on: December 04, 2012, 04:40:02 pm »

Seriously though, why the hell is the coffee hot enough to cause third degree burns?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18606 on: December 04, 2012, 04:42:02 pm »

She was 79? That changes thigns a little. Third-degree buns are not what little-old-ladies should get from coffee.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #18607 on: December 04, 2012, 04:49:06 pm »

Yeah, I don't see how a product of which the primary ingredient is boiling water can result in litigation for being hot.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18608 on: December 04, 2012, 04:50:51 pm »

That article does not indicate any more. It even points out that there's a label right there on the cup warning you of how hot it is.

"Liebeck's attorneys argued that McDonald's coffee was "defective", claiming it was too hot and more likely to cause serious injury than coffee served at any other establishment. Moreover, McDonald's had refused several prior opportunities to settle for less than the $640,000 ultimately awarded. Supporters of “tort reform" claim that the popular perception of the case was materially accurate, claim that the vast majority of judges who consider similar cases dismiss them before they get to a jury, and argue that McDonald's refusal to offer more than an $800 settlement for the $10,500 in medical bills reflects the meritless nature of the suit based on the fact that Liebeck spilled the coffee on herself rather than any wrongdoing on the company's part."

Basically, the coffee was too hot?

Still, seems pretty stupid.

And yes, I know 3rd degree burns are nasty, but in my eyes, it's still actually largely her negligence.
Requires surgery, will cause scarring and can often even require amputation. Saying 3rd degree burns is kinda an understatement...

Yeah, I don't see how a product of which the primary ingredient is boiling water can result in litigation for being hot.
I don't exactly drink my tea at 100*C...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18609 on: December 04, 2012, 04:54:34 pm »

Basically, the coffee was too hot?

Still, seems pretty stupid.
Hot enough that the warnings provided by McD was deemed insufficient to properly portray the danger, t'be more specific. I can sorta' agree with that, really.

It was also compared to other companies who provided coffee, who served th'stuff at a much lower temperature.  McD was serving the stuff while it was almost still boiling (180-190F, 82-88C), which, yeah, is a little crazy. I can see slapping someone with damages for not labeling their stuff more specifically. Merely "hot" is a little, y'know, understating things.

E:And she was held partially responsible, GO. In your case, it'd be more like falling over and cracking your head because of a poorly constructed sidewalk or somethin'.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:57:23 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18610 on: December 04, 2012, 04:57:06 pm »

NINJAEDIT: Requires surgery? Thing is, me falling over and cracking my head open may require surgery, but I can hardly blame the people that paved the path I was walking on if it was because of me being clumsy, can I?
She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9 kg, nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her down to 83 pounds (38 kg). Two years of medical treatment followed.
Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her actual and anticipated expenses. Her past medical expenses were $10,500; her anticipated future medical expenses were approximately $2,500; and her loss of income was approximately $5,000 for a total of approximately $18,000. Instead, the company offered only $800.

If you spill a drink on yourself, all is annoying. If you spill a drink on yourself and find it is boiling water when what you expected was a consumable item of drink, there is an issue.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18611 on: December 04, 2012, 05:06:02 pm »

I'm gonna pull out the 'differing opinions, I guess.' card because right now I can't be bothered with a debate.
I'm going to pull out the "open mind, I guess," card because this is the internet; a world where the intelligent can move past shouting "you're wrong I'm right," and instead focus on the genesis of new perspectives and ideas.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18612 on: December 04, 2012, 05:06:23 pm »

The very fact that there is disagreement is indicative of it's worthiness as a case.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18613 on: December 04, 2012, 05:30:18 pm »

From what that article was saying you can get third degree burns in about 2 seconds.  If you're in the car I don't know how you're going to get the coffee off of you in time.  You (should) have a seat-belt on, so you can't exactly stand up, you're might be holding the coffee still, and a myriad other things.
And increasing random knowledge of others via Wikipedia is the most noble of goals, and should be something that we all aspire to do at least once in our lifetimes.

Right now I hate a good few of my teachers.  Our Biology teacher gives us a crossword puzzle as a quiz grade, and when absolutely no one in the class is able to a good few of the words, he says it's our fault that we didn't know it.  It was open book, and I read the entire chapter, and the chapter's before and after that, twice, and still wasn't able to find the word.  I found other words that SHOULD of worked, but did not fit, and I could explain the entire thing easily, but since I couldn't find the EXACT words with the EXACT spellings, I am now going to get a C put in as a quiz grade.  And several of my other teachers have the whole "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality going.  We aren't even allowed to explain how we reached our conclusion.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18614 on: December 04, 2012, 05:40:26 pm »

No, but when a question is opinion base, or at the very least interpretation based, we should be allowed to explain what we chose (On a multiple answer test/quiz.)
Pages: 1 ... 1239 1240 [1241] 1242 1243 ... 3345