Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705678 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: HP Fuckery Edition
« Reply #18585 on: December 04, 2012, 09:37:09 am »

Back in the day, they had a particular way of "Detecting" real names, and yeah - the one you provided would probably pass, because it "looks" like a real name.

Johannes-Artwick Jason Clinton-Smith, however, would fail, because have more than two parts, using hyphens, and using the names of "celebrities" are all 'red flags' that trigger name banning. Despite the fact that a great many legal names meet those conditions.

Though I think they scaled back a lot of their G+ name requirements recently after a flood of criticism.

Other tells include runs of a few consonants (fairly common in certain languages), using non-american characters in your name, and... I forget the rest.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18586 on: December 04, 2012, 09:41:17 am »

using non-american characters in your name
WE HAVE TO PROT-wait no, this isn't the politics thread. Whats the point of that?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #18587 on: December 04, 2012, 09:52:11 am »

Hi, my name is Juan Lunáric.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18588 on: December 04, 2012, 09:53:44 am »

And yeah, the connection is reasonably fast but nonetheless it takes ridiculously long and inhibits other computer usage. Therefore annoyance

Ok, if your connection is "fast" and yet it takes "ridiculously long", what you're complaining about is the speed of broadband or whatever you use. Also, what other "computer usage" does Steam interfere with, other than making Youtube videos slower because you're maxing out your connection speed?

I mean, seriously. Downloading 12 gigs worth of data is downloading 12 gigs worth of data, whether you're doing it through Steam or not. It takes time, and blaming Steam for that is seeking a scapegoat.

Now explain to him that because while downloading, his computer has to watch millions of little things called pacgets or piglets or something like that, therefore not being able to use computer in the course of downloading something is completely normal.

Also explain to him that although he may cleanly have a feeling what "too long" is for a 12 gig download (you know, some of us have good connectivity and already downloaded like hundreds of gigs), downloading through STEAM is something completely different and therefore normal time metrics don't apply.

Then go get your "Steam fanboy", "Computer Illiterate" & "Couldn't think straight to save my life" badges.

You're new here, so I'll give you the biz. This is not a thread for flaming people. I may disagree with him personally, but I can do that fine without flaming him or using a dump truck full of snark in my post.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18589 on: December 04, 2012, 10:04:28 am »

Johannes-Artwick Jason Clinton-Smith, however, would fail, because have more than two parts, using hyphens, and using the names of "celebrities" are all 'red flags' that trigger name banning. Despite the fact that a great many legal names meet those conditions.

I have a friend who's real, legal first name, printed on her birth certificate, is "Abcd". There are enough people in world that some of them are bound to have a weird enough name to trip up a filter.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18590 on: December 04, 2012, 10:14:42 am »

I am one of those many people who is extremely tight fisted in relation to any information about themselves, naturaly I have a dozen different user names for a dozen different services.
Well one by one I stopped using my other aliases because nothing would accept them anymore.
I'm down to Dranton and Jerick and now I find things that require a second name of somekind everywhere.
So I've found I tend to go by Jerick Jv online.
I wonder how long before the Jv starts tripping filters and I have to make up a second name.
And by extension how long until I have to make up an entire person to stay unknown.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #18591 on: December 04, 2012, 10:58:19 am »

I really don't give two shits about giving out personal information. Hell, so far all it's resulted in is Facebook shouting at me about all these oily men who seem to be hiding somewhere in my local area.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18592 on: December 04, 2012, 11:01:49 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18593 on: December 04, 2012, 11:06:58 am »

The lappy still runs if you have it attached to a plug, right?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18594 on: December 04, 2012, 11:09:11 am »

The lappy still runs if you have it attached to a plug, right?
Yep, same as mine. Except his doesn't have a derpy hp battery check that thinks its still ok.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18595 on: December 04, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »

Fuck off, ITU.
The internet is not broken. You are trying to break it for no fucking reason with nonsense. You got the US, the EU, and Australia to agree on the same internet-related thing for once that it is indeed not broken. We already have several groups, who know far more than you on this, that keep stuff going well on the internet, generally. They might not do stuff right all the time, but unlike you, they weren't originally based on goddamn telegrams. They started with the internet, and probably would be fine with punching you in the face if it was diplomatic.
Saw this earlier, the only thoughts that went through my head were 'fucking morons' and similar things.

For a moment i tought Google said "If it aint broke, don't fix it".
Dissapointment.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18596 on: December 04, 2012, 03:36:09 pm »

They're clearly not stupid; they just want to have exclusive control over the internet. They think you're stupid.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18597 on: December 04, 2012, 03:45:23 pm »

Decided to give Supreme Commander 2 a go.

Ohgod, why?! Why, Squeenix, why did you utterly wreck a beautifully niche experience with such savage disregard for what made it interesting and enjoyable?
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18598 on: December 04, 2012, 03:46:42 pm »

They're clearly not stupid; they just want to have exclusive control over the internet. They think you're stupid.
So, they think the many I's are stupid as well?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #18599 on: December 04, 2012, 03:58:59 pm »

Decided to give Supreme Commander 2 a go.

Ohgod, why?! Why, Squeenix, why did you utterly wreck a beautifully niche experience with such savage disregard for what made it interesting and enjoyable?

If it was not a sequel to SupCom, it would have been alright. Actually, I rather enjoyed it, when I took it as its own thing and not Supreme Commander.

As a sequel, it's a massive reduction in pretty much everything, but especially scale. And what is up with the Aeon unit names in it? They're all... eh. And Dr. Brackmann somehow lost that awesome holographic avatar and became insidious.

Also, no idea what it is about the hate on YouTube, I've never had it ask for a name. In fact, it's almost like it stopped updating YouTube for me at some point, since if I go incognito (Chrome), I see a horrid new interface, but otherwise it's the same.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:02:00 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 3345