Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1231 1232 [1233] 1234 1235 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705648 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: HP Fuckery Edition
« Reply #18480 on: November 30, 2012, 06:15:11 pm »

Damn, SalmonGod. I'm glad I live in Canada; from what I can tell the police are about half as bad as in the US.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18481 on: November 30, 2012, 07:34:26 pm »

In my experience, the Police are very very Dedicated to the job, and have not messed up any situations that may occur. That and there is barely ANY crime in my town. Must be because of Camden being the state of New Jersey's Crime magnet, which no crime can avoid occurring in.
This is my experience as well. I really can't connect with the horror stories because they're practically non-existent around here. We've called the cops on a few different occasions and had no real complaints.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18482 on: November 30, 2012, 07:38:11 pm »

In my experience, the Police are very very Dedicated to the job, and have not messed up any situations that may occur. That and there is barely ANY crime in my town. Must be because of Camden being the state of New Jersey's Crime magnet, which no crime can avoid occurring in.
This is my experience as well. I really can't connect with the horror stories because they're practically non-existent around here. We've called the cops on a few different occasions and had no real complaints.
Yeah me too, and I live as someone who knows the fear of a Police visit. The only times they've been here they've been perfect gentlemen. Even the damn Sheriff. Hell, There were police in my apartment today, and I have nothign interesting to report except my TV may violate building code.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #18483 on: November 30, 2012, 08:01:06 pm »

Oh wow, I just noticed I butchered my quote back there big time.

And yeah, I'm cool with our police around here, might be because I'm on a first name basis with most of them, went to school with several.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18484 on: November 30, 2012, 08:05:43 pm »

See, that's just it. Small-town cops will probably know just about everyone, and if you're buddies with cops, you won't have any problems from them. If, on the other hand, you're just some random person in a good-sized city (particularly one who isn't a well-dressed white male...), you might well have your life ruined on the whim of someone on a power trip

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18485 on: November 30, 2012, 08:09:29 pm »

There are very few things that would convince me to ever call the police for any reason, and I'm not likely to ever encounter any of them.

Some people will call the police for every little thing, even things not relating to crime at all. In my opinion that's crazy.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:11:25 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18486 on: November 30, 2012, 08:11:34 pm »

See, that's just it. Small-town cops will probably know just about everyone, and if you're buddies with cops, you won't have any problems from them. If, on the other hand, you're just some random person in a good-sized city (particularly one who isn't a well-dressed white male...), you might well have your life ruined on the whim of someone on a power trip
I now this happens to people, but this has never happened to me. I live in New York, and no one I've met or spoken too (And I have alot of friends, and spend all summer in Harlem) has had problems with the police in their home.

I live in NYC, and I simply don't fear the police. Or the Sheriff, for that matter. Or know anyone who's had experiances like this. I fear only Childrens services.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18487 on: November 30, 2012, 08:13:15 pm »

There are very few things that would convince me to ever call the police for any reason, and I'm not likely to ever encounter any of them.

Some people will call the police for every little thing, even things not relating to crime at all. In my opinion that's crazy.

This. In my experience, police officers are generally trying to catch you doing something wrong and that's it. They don't particularly care about helping you, unless they know you personally, and if they can, they will INVENT something wrong that you were doing to get you in trouble.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18488 on: November 30, 2012, 08:15:21 pm »

This is a huge part of it, though god help you if you live in a small town and are not favored by the community.  If, for instance, you're a non-religious person in a very fundamentalist backwater town, the local sheriff may take any call as an opportunity to shit on your day.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18489 on: November 30, 2012, 08:17:51 pm »

I think police officers are a lot different here in Australia, probably largely due to our strict gun laws...

But everyone hates 'em anyway! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18490 on: November 30, 2012, 08:22:19 pm »

It really depends on where you are, down to the county level, and even beyond that there's plenty of individual variation among officers - often a crap shoot. Most of the ones round here I've encountered are pleasant enough, but they aren't particularly helpful most interactions I've had with them either.

There's honestly just not a lot of situations where I'd see calling the police as a useful course of action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18491 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:09 pm »

It really depends on where you are, down to the county level, and even beyond that there's plenty of individual variation among officers - often a crap shoot. Most of the ones round here I've encountered are pleasant enough, but they aren't particularly helpful most interactions I've had with them either.

There's honestly just not a lot of situations where I'd see calling the police as a useful course of action.

There's individual variation, but I think there's been a very dangerous internal culture on the rise among American police over the last decade or so.  I have a friend who became an officer a couple years ago.  I know him as a very nice guy who loves to help people, but I've even seen him adopt some of the rhetoric that attempts to justify uglier police behavior.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18492 on: November 30, 2012, 08:30:39 pm »

Okay, so it turns out my Oblivion disk is totally fucked.
Like, it will install "100%"
But half of the files are missing.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18493 on: November 30, 2012, 11:11:34 pm »

I live in a small-medium city, and the police here are mostly okay. Sure, some of them are pricks, but we all have bad days, right? I would have a lot of bad days, too, if my job were doing almost nothing but raiding meth labs and crack houses every week or so.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18494 on: November 30, 2012, 11:19:15 pm »

Paassstt miidddnniiiiggghhtttttt. TV SCREAMING ACROSS ENTIRE HOUSE. FRUMPLE TIRED.

KILLFRENZYKILLFRENZYKILLFRENZYKILLFRENZYKILLFRENZY

Frakking hate TV. Hate it so much. Hate it with every ounce of my being. One day. One day, every TV on earth will spontaneously transmute in a diseased mush of the blood of unborn children mixed with the ground bones of amputated orphan limbs. When people try to clean it up, it will ignite. I will be to blame for this event. My hate. All of it.

Also, TV announcers, and news anchor people, and everyone with that particularly penetrating TV voice. All of you bastards. Go die in a fire.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1231 1232 [1233] 1234 1235 ... 3345