Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1210 1211 [1212] 1213 1214 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690327 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Put It Away Edition
« Reply #18165 on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:33 pm »

Damn you Elmo man, Damn you to Hell!!!

At what point is ur=t better to assume that any actor who works with kids is a pedophile?
GODDAMMIT PEOPLE DIDN'T YOU LEARN WITH THE MICHEAL JACKSON THING?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18166 on: November 21, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »

This puts Tickle-Me Elmo into a whole new light.

"Tickle meeee~"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18167 on: November 21, 2012, 08:46:51 pm »

KATANA RAGE!
Have a video supporting you. (the part before the link was mostly sarcastically saying the points you friend made)
Damn that was a good video. Managed to find primary sources for everything the guy said too; it cannot be refuted. Got modern pattern-welding companies quoting on a museum sword from 875-900 A.D., a whole excerpt from a professor of materials science and engineering about saying how the Celts were making pure iron in 1200 B.C. (my fact checking says the guy in the video is wrong - however the Celts were making STEEL around 200 A.D. using a forging method called 'piling' where "Carburized rods were hot forged to form the blade," which is about when pattern forging started to appear.
Katanas first appeared around the year around 800-900 A.D. as Jotoko (I have yet to find a primary source for this date though), and during the Muromachi period it was essentially mass produced with less care as a general cheap infantry weapon, export to the Chinese and also adapting on a Chinese sword design.
And then Kamakaze happens, and the Japanese are shaken.

So, there are my facts (well there are more, but I type less pages of text so your eyes don't melt and my keys don't bleed), and these will support my claims greatly:

EUROPEAN LONGSWORDS:
  • They were high quality, durable and effective at piercing armour. So much so that the Romans(!) had to adapt their military to incorporate heavier shields and heavier armour, as well as making their short n' stabby Gladii.
  • Later this adapted to heavy infantry and the elite warrior caste Knights fighting on foot, fighting with shield, fighting on horseback and of course having to pierce chain/plate [spurned by heavy infantry tactics popularized by the Romans, later the whole of Europe (100 years war much?!), especially more 15th century examples - the Landsknecht and the Suisse]
  • Longer reach, more swing - More force! Counter acts shields, great for cavalry (swords had to become longer when Europe started getting cavalry-centric - hence, Long-swords) and pierces heavy armour. Romans cared more about quick stab kills, infantry wanted something that would knock a rider off their horse, riders wanted something that would knock infantry's heads off - Where does this sound familiar?

JAPANESE KATANA:
  • You know the origin of Kamakaze? Divine wind, that destroyed the largest navy ever gathered - that was going to invade Japan?

It was a Mongolian led force.
Now think of this as well - the Mongolians were only stopped from conquering Japan because of the sea and luck. They pretty much roflestomped everywhere they went in the world.
They also happened to be an extremely fast moving, lightly armoured force with better swords than the Japanese, as well as a unique fighting style they were unused to.
  • Suddenly you start seeing more curved swords, tempered simply with larger, thicker backings. A direct response to the Mongolian threat. This made them absolutely ineffective against the Japanese's toughest armour (of the same iron they made their weapons out of as well - which even had iron lacings!), but brilliant for fighting Mongolians riding in leather armour. Your infantry man is charged by a Mongolian trying to ride him down - his spear is gone or won't save him in time, and he has to quickly draw a weapon that will surely kill the rider.
    And that's what gave the Katana the shape we know today, as opposed to the more straight Jotoko.
  • Momoyama period brings peace and time to make the swords more artsy, and they evolve into Shinto also as the Samurai become a more bureaucratic class.

These are the swords Hollywood knows today, except they make theirs EVEN MORE flashier.
  • Then a whole lot of history about Tokugawa Shogunate, rediscovering lost techniques and what not but that's a minor note.

Oh and the final icing on the cake is that the Ermey guy? Well, the Katana he used had a clearly American Kissaki as opposed to a Japanese forged one.
  • American show host
  • American sponsorships

~I wunda wot moootiiiveesss Ermey could have to glorify mysterious and exotic Eastern weapons manufactured by sponsored companies~

Well, it's nearly 2AM and I have yet more work to do.

Fun fun fun.

G'night Bay12, happy Katana hunting.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18168 on: November 21, 2012, 09:00:06 pm »

Glad I could help a bit, LW. :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #18169 on: November 21, 2012, 09:10:14 pm »

I have no proof, but I think I heard that Japanese swords were folded so much to compensate for the poor iron(making). xD

Anyways, katanas being badass is so wrong. :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18170 on: November 21, 2012, 09:22:18 pm »

I have no proof, but I think I heard that Japanese swords were folded so much to compensate for the poor iron(making). xD
I see a head that needs decapitating.

Luckily for you, it is a head of cabbage.

CABBAGE

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18171 on: November 21, 2012, 09:30:31 pm »

How do you decapitate a head of cabbage? it's not actually attached to anything.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #18172 on: November 21, 2012, 09:48:06 pm »

How do you decapitate a head of cabbage? it's not actually attached to anything.
Not once its decapitated.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18173 on: November 21, 2012, 09:48:26 pm »

Where the bloody blood blood does your cabbage come from?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18174 on: November 21, 2012, 09:51:51 pm »

Now I'm watching every one of that guy's videos because he is trolling annoying people with the truth. :))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18175 on: November 21, 2012, 09:53:54 pm »

Well, okay, yes, it comes from the ground, but you're not going to be able to chop it off its base with a katana unless you grew the cabbage on some sort of dirt man.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18176 on: November 21, 2012, 10:00:08 pm »

Well, okay, yes, it comes from the ground, but you're not going to be able to chop it off its base with a katana unless you grew the cabbage on some sort of dirt man.
You got hands right? Kids these days, "it's the knife that makes the chef," they say. I say screw that, chefs should slice food with their manly hands of manliness.

Now I'm watching every one of that guy's videos because he is trolling annoying people with the truth. :))
Well, he does get a few things wrong (namely numbers), so fact checking is a must. But he does have a lot of logical arguments - as well as actually fighting with the stuff he owns (of which he owns lots), and for those - you can rely on him to be a reliable source of information.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #18177 on: November 21, 2012, 10:00:09 pm »

I see a head that needs decapitating.

Luckily for you, it is a head of cabbage.

CABBAGE
What?! Why? D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18178 on: November 21, 2012, 10:12:21 pm »

Anyways, katanas being badass is so wrong. :P
iron folding have been a technique used by other cultures for a long time. The japanese though were able to score with their katanas with the right kind of iron ore with all of the fun metals needed for its insane alloy.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18179 on: November 21, 2012, 11:38:13 pm »

Hm. Interesting.

I awoke, in pain and fury. Bright lights seared my eyes. Harsh voices from rough men armed and ready to be violent forced my actions. I was poked and prodded, and finally, released.

Every inch of me... Aches. Pain. Pain everywhere. Some parts hurt more than others, my broken hand, my very sore ankle, my back. My mind is filled with anger and rage, sadness and hate. But none of this matters. I live. I am alive, to spite them. To spite everyone. To one day, make my anger known to them.

Pain is my only true ally. For in the end, we are all truly alone. We can reach out, and form connections with others, but they can never hear our innermost selves, never feel the pain we feel. I cannot even do this. No one really knows how I feel. I can tell you. I can talk about it all day. In the end, you won't truly understand.

Pain keeps me up. Keeps me going. One day the pain will stop, and that will be far worse, or far better than the pain ever was. Pain pain pain. It's not so bad once you get used to it. It could be worse. It could always be worse. For all this pain, for all this anger and rage, I had a really, really good day today once I was freed from that place.

Interesting.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1210 1211 [1212] 1213 1214 ... 3345