Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1193 1194 [1195] 1196 1197 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694536 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: CMYK 4 Life Edition
« Reply #17910 on: November 14, 2012, 06:53:19 pm »

Yeah, anything you can escape at a brisk walk is pretty hard to take seriously IMO.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17911 on: November 14, 2012, 06:56:36 pm »

Persistence hunting dude. You can run a mile or so, then you'd need to stop, but then you have to run again before you regain your breath entirely. Repeat that, and that's how slow zombies are able to pose a threat.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17912 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:20 pm »

I think the thing that makes shambling zombies threatening doesn't involve that. Yeah, you can outrun them. But they never stop walking. Eventually you'll have to stop, then they'll catch you. It's less like something attacking you and more like a force of nature.

Probably doesn't make that good of a movie.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17913 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:54 pm »

Plus there's the whole "they come at you from any side and you might not even notice them until it's too late" thing. But that's for another thread.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #17914 on: November 14, 2012, 06:58:56 pm »

The only way that slow zombies become a threat to humanities survival is if the zombie disease is airborne, highly infectious, and doesn't manifest any symptoms until weeks after it becomes contagious.

Then you have a generic plague movie instead of zomg! zombies are trying to eeeeeat meeeeee!

Persistence hunting dude. You can run a mile or so, then you'd need to stop, but then you have to run again before you regain your breath entirely. Repeat that, and that's how slow zombies are able to pose a threat.

Except that people can and will fight back. Against a slow zombie, you actually have the time to line up head shots, or against individuals or small groups you can take them out with melee attacks because they won't defend their precious brainpan like a living person would in a melee.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17915 on: November 14, 2012, 07:00:10 pm »

Does this mean we'll have zombiebenders now?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17916 on: November 14, 2012, 07:03:43 pm »

Except that people can and will fight back. Against a slow zombie, you actually have the time to line up head shots, or against individuals or small groups you can take them out with melee attacks because they won't defend their precious brainpan like a living person would in a melee.

In the book though, people didn't really realize that they were actually zombies until it was too late.  A lot of people thought it was just a new form of rabies(and of course some corrupt biomed firm then released a vaccine for rabies, making people feel safer).  People didn't understand that you had to go for headshots, and so wasted all their ammo just shooting at the hoards.  People didn't know how to combat them properly until most of the population was already turned.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:09:10 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17917 on: November 14, 2012, 07:06:25 pm »

That's kinda silly, the first thing I'd do if anybody came close to me would be shooting them in the head.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17918 on: November 14, 2012, 07:38:45 pm »

Humans invented persistence hunting!
Yeah, I really like the trailer. The almost liquid way the horde moves is a really cool way to visualize them. It's just not a World War Z movie if they're like that.
It reminds me of Gyo in a way.
In the book though, people didn't really realize that they were actually zombies until it was too late.  A lot of people thought it was just a new form of rabies(and of course some corrupt biomed firm then released a vaccine for rabies, making people feel safer).  People didn't understand that you had to go for headshots, and so wasted all their ammo just shooting at the hoards.  People didn't know how to combat them properly until most of the population was already turned.
That was later. In the book the infection was first justified by it starting in Western China and being covered up by the government. That didn't work and the zombies, not caring about borders, quickly spread into Eastern China, India, and Afghanistan. By that point most of the zombies were either in droves due to population density or in areas that they would be hard to track in.

Also, Israel was the only nation to survive World War Z without major outbreaks because they took the initial rumors seriously and built an even larger wall around their borders and Vladimir Putin became God-King of the Holy Russian Empire.

Anyway, ultimately WWZ just does not work as a movie because the book is about the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse, not the events of it. While that would be new and interesting Hollywood wouldn't fund it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:40:41 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17919 on: November 14, 2012, 08:38:54 pm »

Yeah. The zombie movies they should be funding are the Monster Island series.

You've got Somalian schoolgirls/child soldiers searching for AIDS medication in an infected Manhattan, intelligent zombie-mummies, zombie pigeons, and so on. It's absolutely absurd in a lot of ways, but it also treats the "zombie thing" rather differently than a lot of writers do.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:43:38 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #17920 on: November 14, 2012, 08:42:21 pm »

One buff I've noticed about the shambling zombies recently is that they're much hardier than their speedy counterparts.

For example, L4D2's common fodder of zambies seem to explode into guts from even magnum shots. They run fast, but get mowed down very quickly from bullets.

By contrast, Killing Floor's slower undead, the most common of which being called "Clots", can soak up a bunch of damage when in huge numbers. The game's engine calculates mob health and wave numbers based on the number of human players in a server. Usually this is 6, at most. Go on a 50 player server however, and it can take several point blank shotgun shots to the chest to take down even a simple clot...and they can attack in huge numbers.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17921 on: November 14, 2012, 08:49:09 pm »

Generally, modern fast zombies are "living but deranged", which was started by 28 Days Later. Hence they are weaker than Romero zombies, because they're still basically human. Rage and Green Flu both cause the afflicted to become utterly destructive towards uninfected humans and incapable of higher thoughts, but it doesn't enhance them at all.

Romero zombies, on the other hand, are literally corpses. The only "living" part of them is the brain, and thus damaging any other part of them is only effective if it renders them structurally unsound. They can't move fast due to rigor mortis, but its a headshot or nothing.

Personally, I prefer a hybridization of the two concepts, with zombies starting out fast and slowing down as they rot and cause now non-reparable damage to their musculature.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17922 on: November 14, 2012, 08:52:32 pm »

Eh, I've always preferred slow zombies, as they feel more alien, if you get my point. Someone put it well earlier; they aren't predators, they're a force of nature, and they will never, ever stop following you. Fast zombies, as living things, will die fairly quickly. Romero zombies will keep going until the brain is destroyed or they literally fall to pieces. Which, if the infection scares or kills off bacteria and corpse-eating insects, could potentially be a very long time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17923 on: November 14, 2012, 08:57:26 pm »

Eh, I've always preferred slow zombies, as they feel more alien, if you get my point. Someone put it well earlier; they aren't predators, they're a force of nature, and they will never, ever stop following you. Fast zombies, as living things, will die fairly quickly. Romero zombies will keep going until the brain is destroyed or they literally fall to pieces. Which, if the infection scares or kills off bacteria and corpse-eating insects, could potentially be a very long time.

In the case of an aseptic environment, rotting would take a very long time, to the order of hundreds of years. There was a case where a grain cake high in honey was recovered from an egyptian tomb, which partially due to the mild antiseptic effect and high sugar content of the cake, resisted rotting for one and a half thousand years. I can't verify it though atm, I can't remember where I read this. :p

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17924 on: November 14, 2012, 09:03:54 pm »

Trying to access an article for a paper I'm writing. Have access to web-based proxy service to access it as if I were at my institution. Institution pays for the journal the paper's in. Can't access the paper through the proxy because the journal web service is poorly designed and can't handle the additional url from the web-proxy at all.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.
Pages: 1 ... 1193 1194 [1195] 1196 1197 ... 3345