Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700728 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: NERD HERESY Edition
« Reply #17535 on: November 03, 2012, 02:45:16 pm »

So I learned today that Nature is a massive Troll. Guess what? Theres a Nor'easter headed for NYC and New Jersey. With snow. Less then a week after supah' storm Sandy.

Y U HATE US NATURE? GO FUCK OVER THE OIL PEOPLE IN TEXAS, NOT US!
Them storms? Increasing in occurrence and magnitude because of more water in the ocean. Mother nature is crying at humanity.
Frankly, I'm just upset we're not even getting a week between storms.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17536 on: November 03, 2012, 03:19:03 pm »

So I learned today that Nature is a massive Troll. Guess what? Theres a Nor'easter headed for NYC and New Jersey. With snow. Less then a week after supah' storm Sandy.

Y U HATE US NATURE? GO FUCK OVER THE OIL PEOPLE IN TEXAS, NOT US!
Them storms? Increasing in occurrence and magnitude because of more water in the ocean. Mother nature is crying at humanity.
Frankly, I'm just upset we're not even getting a week between storms.
Did Florida cause a science or something? Everything seems to be hitting new york instead of florida.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17538 on: November 03, 2012, 04:22:28 pm »

Please tell me that's the result of somebody taking an onion article seriously.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17539 on: November 03, 2012, 04:22:48 pm »

And people tell me I'm unreasonable for hating cops.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17540 on: November 03, 2012, 04:24:52 pm »

Not unreasonable at all. No criminal charges on the cop? Not surprised.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17541 on: November 03, 2012, 04:28:13 pm »

Please tell me that's the result of somebody taking an onion article seriously.
It's TYT. TYT is srs bsns.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17542 on: November 03, 2012, 04:42:12 pm »

And people tell me I'm unreasonable for hating cops.
Eh, no one would call you unreasonable for hating what the uniform represents.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #17543 on: November 03, 2012, 05:21:43 pm »

Just as a blanket hatred of cops? I'd say that's pretty unreasonable. Then again, having been pulled out of a burning car by one, I might be a little biased.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17544 on: November 03, 2012, 05:27:03 pm »

There are good ones and bad ones. Thing is, the good ones just hand out parking violations and do their paperwork, while the bad ones kill people and have lots of news about them.

As the thin blue line, they're also going to get a lot of crap for what they're ordered to do from higher ups. Also, as the frontline authority, there's also plenty of opportunity for them to abuse their power.

As holders of power, they deserve far more scrutiny than the criminals they purport to fight, but ironically they have far less.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17545 on: November 03, 2012, 06:35:38 pm »

Frankly, there are far too many who join the force for the benefits (or the power rush  :-\). That, and the tendency these days for police to value their own lives over the lives of the people they're supposed to be protecting. That's a good part of what's behind all these shootings, tazings, beatings, etc.: cops terrified of taking risks, with the power to remove risks (by crippling or killing people who may or may not actually pose a threat).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17546 on: November 03, 2012, 06:51:26 pm »

As a city being looted, I must say they have their uses. Like emergency work.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17547 on: November 03, 2012, 08:46:42 pm »

Do police officers have immunity to charges of assault, murder, and the like, or what? I don't get why he wasn't charged with assault, reckless endangerment, and whatever else is applicable, and thrown in jail to await trial.

I wonder if any NRAers are saying "See, if our children's constitutional right to bear arms wasn't being suppressed, they could've defended themselves against this taser-wielding maniac!"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17548 on: November 03, 2012, 10:19:17 pm »

News reminded me about what had pissed me off momentarily a bit earlier.

So yeah. It had felt a bit, y'know, warm. It's November now, yeah, not supposed to be that. So I got up, checked the AC. AC read seventy-fucking-five Fahrenheit (~23C, I think). The heater wasn't on. So. Yeah. Turning the cold on in freaking november.

News said a high of 79F tomorrow. Bugger Florida with a superheated weather vane. I hate this state's weather with a passion.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17549 on: November 03, 2012, 10:23:19 pm »

Do police officers have immunity to charges of assault, murder, and the like, or what? I don't get why he wasn't charged with assault, reckless endangerment, and whatever else is applicable, and thrown in jail to await trial.
De jure? No. De facto? Oh yeah.

For one, he would have to be arrested, and cops rarely arrest other cops. Even if he is, legally speaking the word of a police officer is considered to be factual or at least trustworthy in court, where as the word of anyone else is suspect and potentially hearsay.

Also, half the precinct will show up at the courthouse to "support their brother", which doesn't have any legal effect but might intimidate those testifying or sway the judge's opinion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 3345