Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702354 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Scumbag Steve Edition
« Reply #17130 on: October 24, 2012, 11:34:45 pm »

That's something, I guess. I'm actually using an HP laptop (Not of my own volition, exactly. A pricetag of nothing -- for me, anyway -- is the best pricetag.), but it seems to be too old for all that. Pavilion dv7; s'got a little scroll bar thingy on the right side, but that seems to be as fancy as it gets. Thank the gods.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17131 on: October 24, 2012, 11:37:46 pm »

I wish I could turn the trackpad off, but only when the USB mouse is connected.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17132 on: October 24, 2012, 11:39:20 pm »

I'm actually using an HP laptop...
Yay!

Not of my own volition, exactly.
Aww.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17133 on: October 24, 2012, 11:46:52 pm »

Oh no, no MZ. There's no Yay involved. After having two HP laptops in a row I can safely say I will never buy a computer from HP :P This one was gifted, more or less, and the other I got secondhand from a friend (who got it from his father; the comp was a couple years old when I got my hands on it, I think.). But actually giving someone money for one of these things? Nyet.

They've been (barely) functional but unpleasant. Disassembly has been involved, in order to actually fix things.

I'll... probably be building a desktop after this one dies, I guess. Need to bite the bullet eventually, even though I really don't want to have to go through the trouble of figuring out how to comparison shop for hardware. Laptops are nice for space but the hardware is shit and cooling is a bit of a pain in the ass, especially since every bloody idiot designing them seem insistent on putting fans on the bottom of the thing.
Ask not!
Ask!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17134 on: October 24, 2012, 11:50:33 pm »

We put them in the bottom and the left side now (and they are situational, automatically,) if that helps. Ah, well, I won't twist your arm. Everyone has brand preference, even if it's "DIY".

Going to build it Puget style?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17135 on: October 24, 2012, 11:55:15 pm »

I... have no idea what Puget style is :(

But yeah, DIY preference comes mostly for "Most Bang For Buck". Even some of the lesser names offer better price/power ratios than most of the bigger names, and DIY offers the flat out best. In exchange for doing most of the labor yourself, of course, and having to go through the trouble of getting the parts to begin with. Eh.
Ask not!
Ask!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17136 on: October 25, 2012, 12:00:58 am »

I... have no idea what Puget style is :(

But yeah, DIY preference comes mostly for "Most Bang For Buck". Even some of the lesser names offer better price/power ratios than most of the bigger names, and DIY offers the flat out best. In exchange for doing most of the labor yourself, of course, and having to go through the trouble of getting the parts to begin with. Eh.
Behold.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17137 on: October 25, 2012, 12:08:41 am »

That... that looks expensive, completely beyond my technical capabilities, a melluva' hess to clean up...

... and awesome.

But no, nothing quite that far. I don't intend to go exactly crazy. 3 gig processor, probably 4 gigs of ram so I don't have to worry about 64 bit annoyances, min 250 gig hard drive, video card that isn't utter shit. I'm not particularly ambitious. I just want something a little better than what I've been using in the past, y'know? I'd like to be able to run Magicka one of these days.

I've actually seen an offbrand running about 600 USD (including shipping and warranty and whatnot) that matches/exceeds that, but I'm pretty sure I could beat the price (or at least match it with higher quality stuff) doing to the assembly m'self. Something for the future, really.
Ask not!
Ask!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17138 on: October 25, 2012, 12:16:33 am »

That's the next type of computer I want to build.

* MaximumZero drools.

Anyway, yeah, those specs you listed come in pretty cheap. Weigh the cost of a pre-built alongside just the parts, though. Sometimes DIYing it is actually more expensive than getting a pre-built, because manufacturers get low-end parts on the cheap by buying in bulk.

Oh, and if I weren't recommending HP, I'd be recommending ASUS. HP is still my legit #1, of course, but ASUS builds a damn good box.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17139 on: October 25, 2012, 12:42:49 am »

You know MZ, If the batteries weren't completely terribad for my luck (also 2 gift laptops in a row), I'd say this isn't a bad dv5.

Except for the graphics. Intel HD, while very much like a rubberband in its usabilty from newish games to old things and awesome for it, I can't update the goddamn drivers for it because HP did some custom driver for it years ago and I can't be bothered to fix it if the intel generic breaks it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17140 on: October 25, 2012, 12:51:47 am »

Goddamn skyrim now my character can't go into towns, thank you for fucking up days worth of work on my save.
*raegrestart*

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17141 on: October 25, 2012, 01:06:44 am »

You know MZ, If the batteries weren't completely terribad for my luck (also 2 gift laptops in a row), I'd say this isn't a bad dv5.

Except for the graphics. Intel HD, while very much like a rubberband in its usabilty from newish games to old things and awesome for it, I can't update the goddamn drivers for it because HP did some custom driver for it years ago and I can't be bothered to fix it if the intel generic breaks it.
Intel HD is so terrible. So fucking terrible. ;_; We need to start slapping Radeons/GeForces into everything. Seriously.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17142 on: October 25, 2012, 01:21:21 am »

I decided to look up teenagers who designed amazing things to motivate myself. I managed to depress myself when I got to number five, the eleven year old who got Defense contracts to build bomb detectors. Also, homemade nuclear reactors FTW.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17143 on: October 25, 2012, 01:53:02 am »

Intel HD is so terrible. So fucking terrible. ;_; We need to start slapping Radeons/GeForces into everything. Seriously.
so far this salvaged dm4 is doing fine for me with a new fan, now i need a new lcd panel and everything wouldn't look so blue :/

As i remember intel never did allow manufacturers to make their own drivers and theirs always superseded so they should work no matter what. Its the Forceware/Catalyst you gotta worry about, from what i know AMD decided lately to let their drivers supersede but don't know about Nvidia.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17144 on: October 25, 2012, 02:01:34 am »

I wish I could turn the trackpad off, but only when the USB mouse is connected.
My laptop has that functionality.

But it was rendered useless by my tablet drivers that make the computer always think there's a mouse connected.
Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 3345