Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694968 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Scumbag Steve Edition
« Reply #16335 on: October 08, 2012, 07:05:57 pm »

You want to take the risk of stepping into a hospital, be my guest. But I'm not following you unless I am clearly dying.
I've stepped into hospitals multiple times with no bills, happy to be healthy or treated. This just sounds so horrifically wrong, a part of me dies inside to realize it is
It is.....?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16336 on: October 08, 2012, 07:08:14 pm »

is it just me, or does Britain's healthcare seem to be more moral than quite a few others?

Australia's healthcare's pretty good as long as you're a citizen. We do have to pay for ambulance rides, though there is cover for that, but Medicare covers between 50% and 75% of the cost of going to the Doctor's.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16337 on: October 08, 2012, 07:12:19 pm »

I just hate the term free given the world we live in. Nothing we make or provide as a species is free, and yet culturally we throw that word around a lot to make something more enticing, disguising what goes on underneath.
Healthcare is not supposed to ever be something that's marketed. Ever. Free = without cost. True, it has cost, but not so nearly as grave on those who actually need it.
Hence, free. There is nothing to be disguised, when the alternative is to keep a system where people fear to step within hospitals unless they believe themselves to be dying. For numerous ailments, this can be the difference between life, severe disabilities and death. I cannot think of any moral and sane person who would choose to let anyone who couldn't afford medical bills to die, let alone suffer.

You want to take the risk of stepping into a hospital, be my guest. But I'm not following you unless I am clearly dying.
I've stepped into hospitals multiple times with no bills, happy to be healthy or treated. This just sounds so horrifically wrong, a part of me dies inside to realize it is
It is.....?
The English language was not sufficient enough to describe

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16338 on: October 08, 2012, 07:14:18 pm »

Say it in a launguage sufficient to describe it then, and we can see how badly google translate can mangle it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16339 on: October 08, 2012, 07:15:54 pm »

I just hate the term free given the world we live in. Nothing we make or provide as a species is free, and yet culturally we throw that word around a lot to make something more enticing, disguising what goes on underneath.

But to say that they can get health treatment and healthcare for free in a "free healthcare" system is exactly true. They may (or may not) pay to create the system itself, which assuredly isn't free for society (but may also be free to that person), but the actual health care is quite literally free.

Hell, I would even love to live in one of the places in the US where you can pay for a free healthcare plan. They sound amazing. I don't even need the government to do that for me. But I am just so sick of these perverse incentives, bullshit charges, and con-man-run medical systems.

It's not a "disguise" - it is literally the only worthwhile definition and use of the word, and there's no situation where it's more appropriate. "Someone or something has set up a situation where you can gain something at no additional cost to yourself" = "that thing is free"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:17:42 pm by GlyphGryph »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16340 on: October 08, 2012, 07:26:29 pm »

It's not a "disguise" - it is literally the only worthwhile definition and use of the word, and there's no situation where it's more appropriate. "Someone or something has set up a situation where you can gain something at no additional cost to yourself" = "that thing is free"

But it's not free. Getting a "free" order of fries with your combo meal overlooks the fact that the COST of the fries was something you're already being charged for. Wifi isn't "Free", someone paid for the hardware, someone pays the ISP, someone pays a guy to flip the switch on it when he comes in during the morning. A sandwich isn't free because someone paid for the ingredients and made the time to make it.

The whole concept of "well it doesn't cost ME anything" is part and parcel of why we're fucking up our own world. Because it allows us to avoid responsibility for the act of consumption, and rewards our short-sightedness. We pass on the debt of things to someone else, or mistakenly think we're getting something at a better value than we really are.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16341 on: October 08, 2012, 07:27:19 pm »

I think the words you were looking for can only be found in the mind of a paranoid schizophrenic that has gazed into the eye of cthulhu after being sacrificed to armok.
A miasma of disgust, absolute loathing, ROTTEN, unfathomable chasms of rage, tempests of anger, torrents of nausea, swirling emotive secretions of the vilest and most wicked nature, sour bile physically transcended into pure hate, endless cascades of vomit like putrid and stark  dislike, the most sincere and definite objection, ground pus filled abscesses seething with repugnance, revulsion blooming like the rotten flesh of a Refflesia, total and utterly without a doubt abhorrence and a complete sense of injustice, so much so that the perpetrators should be forfeit of being called human.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16342 on: October 08, 2012, 07:30:40 pm »

I think the words you were looking for can only be found in the mind of a paranoid schizophrenic that has gazed into the eye of cthulhu after being sacrificed to armok.
A miasma of disgust, absolute loathing, ROTTEN, unfathomable chasms of rage, tempests of anger, torrents of nausea, swirling emotive secretions of the vilest and most wicked nature, sour bile physically transcended into pure hate, endless cascades of vomit like putrid and stark  dislike, the most sincere and definite objection, ground pus filled abscesses seething with repugnance, revulsion blooming like the rotten flesh of a Refflesia, total and utterly without a doubt abhorrence and a complete sense of injustice, so much so that the perpetrators should be forfeit of being called human.
argh the text hurts my eyes more than the words.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16343 on: October 08, 2012, 07:32:14 pm »

How about "I'd like a system of healthcare where my personal expense is consistent, my healthcare providers have no incentive to either not treat me or shove unnecessary treatments down my throat, and the unfortunate only have to worry about their health issues and not the piling bills from vultures ostensibly helping them."

Not as concise as "free" but hey.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16344 on: October 08, 2012, 07:33:45 pm »

But it's not free. Getting a "free" order of fries with your combo meal overlooks the fact that the COST of the fries was something you're already being charged for. Wifi isn't "Free", someone paid for the hardware, someone pays the ISP, someone pays a guy to flip the switch on it when he comes in during the morning. A sandwich isn't free because someone paid for the ingredients and made the time to make it.
Well it's good that all those are completely irrelevant to the use we were talking about then?

But seriously, you seem be indicating that there is in fact no such thing as free, that the word is useless. Usually this indicates you are using the word wrong, otherwise it would be a word.

The whole concept of "well it doesn't cost ME anything" is part and parcel of why we're fucking up our own world.
Except that's bloody well irrelevant to all of the examples I used, which are much closer to the actual topic of healthcare than the ones you use.

We pass on the debt of things to someone else, or mistakenly think we're getting something at a better value than we really are.
Or maybe, just maybe, we're correctly aligning our incentives by purchasing the correct items so that the results we want are the most likely outcome?

Seriously, you're adding all this absolutely crazy baggage to the term. It's kind of weird.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16345 on: October 08, 2012, 07:38:42 pm »

Well its basic economics, everything has a cost depending on the need.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16346 on: October 08, 2012, 07:47:06 pm »

But seriously, you seem be indicating that there is in fact no such thing as free, that the word is useless. Usually this indicates you are using the word wrong, otherwise it would be a word.

The word isn't useless. But it's been abused and mishandled by our whole society, into and including the healthcare debate and this very thread.

Except that's bloody well irrelevant to all of the examples I used, which are much closer to the actual topic of healthcare than the ones you use.

Healthcare is even more costly on all fronts than the examples I used. Do I really need to detail the massive amount of cash and resources that go into providing "free" healthcare? I don't think I do. Do you?

Or maybe, just maybe, we're correctly aligning our incentives by purchasing the correct items so that the results we want are the most likely outcome?

It's a possibility, sure. More of a happy coincidence to me though. I think the chances are more likely that most people would get what they needed/wanted, regardless of additional incentives. And many examples of "free" are actually examples of gross waste and deception. Even digital things have a cost associated with them, and they're the closest example we have of free replication.

Seriously, you're adding all this absolutely crazy baggage to the term. It's kind of weird.

Or:

Well its basic economics, everything has a cost depending on the need.

Maybe I and every other 101 economist just have "crazy baggage."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:49:25 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16347 on: October 08, 2012, 08:02:26 pm »

The word isn't useless. But it's been abused and mishandled by our whole society, into and including the healthcare debate and this very thread.

You know what though, it's sidestepping the entire issue. You seem to be entirely focused on the cost and not on the actual freaking health of human beings. If you want to, sure abuse a word - but it's a whole lot better than abusing people.

Healthcare is even more costly on all fronts than the examples I used. Do I really need to detail the massive amount of cash and resources that go into providing "free" healthcare? I don't think I do. Do you?
Wait, you're really arguing costs when the US health system is pretty much on the top of the pyramid when it comes to healthcare spending, and they have this to show for it?

I think the chances are more likely that most people would get what they needed/wanted, regardless of additional incentives.
*Suicide watch*
*Additional examinations just for the hell of it*

And many examples of "free" are actually examples of gross waste and deception.
Above

Maybe I and every other 101 economist just have "crazy baggage."
All my wat. Living person > money

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16349 on: October 08, 2012, 08:07:27 pm »

You seem to think I'm arguing against healthcare. I'm not. It's a good thing that we're all shouldering a burden so everyone can enjoy access to healthcare. Human life > money.

At the same time, respect what it costs society and don't leap to embrace free things, because most material things as presented as free are anything but, and are called free specifically to disguise the costs. In fact, I'll go as far to say that nothing, absolutely nothing is without cost, even emotion, kindness, cellular life and atoms.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:09:10 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 3345