Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699490 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Porkalypse Edition
« Reply #15840 on: October 03, 2012, 06:45:47 am »

Now, if only I could somehow convince all the parents who insist on shoving their slobbering little monsters in my face to do so, I could finally get some peace and quiet. *wistful sigh*

I realized not too long ago that I have never in my 29 years lived in a household without young children.

I'm the kinda person that gets ignored.  Heck, I've tried to speak up during conversations at school or class and sometimes people talk loudly right over me and sometimes I'm outright ignored.  Not like they're trying to ignore me, but more like I'm unnoticeable.  This has happened for years and in a huge variety of social settings.  The worst moment recently was when the teacher asked a question, I raised my hand, and a classmate immediately answered the teacher's question out loud and the rest of the discussion ping ponged between a couple people and the teacher.  I just lowered my hand and let it go.  So I guess I'm supposed to be OUTGOING and MORE NOTICEABLE or something?  I've never, ever found another person who had a problem with other people blatantly talking over them, even interrupting them in mid-sentence to talk about something completely different.

I admit I didn't read most of your post, but this stood out to me at a glance.  I used to be like this.  I still can be sometimes, but more often now I find myself interrupting other people.  I think I was like this, because I put an intense effort through part of my high school years into being invisible.  I had no friends through much of my childhood and was bullied, so I went through a period where I just didn't want to know anyone.  I think it's when I started emerging from that phase that I noticed I had a lot of trouble getting/keeping people's attention.  It took years, but I eventually learned to get more aggressive about making room for myself in a social situation, even if it means elbowing my way in.  Sometimes I can take it a little bit too far, and I feel kinda bad about it and apologize... but this is much better than the alternative.  You can overcome this.  If you really have something to say, don't worry about being rude as much as making yourself heard.  If you add value to a discussion, people will easily forgive.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:03:21 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15841 on: October 03, 2012, 09:13:42 am »

Honestly, that sounds a heck of a lot like how I was for a long time. I eventually got over it by way of an English class in my senior year of high school that was essentially nothing but Socratic seminar with little/no instructor involvement. If someone tries to run roughshod over you, just keep talking over them. Or confront them about it, asking them what the hell they think they're doing. Or, if you have the opportunity, put them down as brutally as possible and then "apologize" before you keep talking. The saddest part of it all is that you'll probably end up with more people liking/agreeing with you after being an asshole than if you were carefully polite and let people walk over you.   :-X

The key to avoiding being the NPC in the group, so to speak, is to make sure that nobody can afford to ignore you. Be an asshole about it, but make sure that what you say is also genuinely interesting, or at least topical.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #15842 on: October 03, 2012, 09:29:10 am »

Yeah, most people really seem to respect an assertive personality.  Being assertive is even all it takes to convince many people that you know what you're talking about, as silly as that is.  Gah... it really does fucking drive me crazy how easily most people are swayed by personality over content.  Anyway...

assertion + content + tact (deny interruptors/interrupt respectfully when you're sure you have something worth hearing) = people will recognize you and begin to naturally include you
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15843 on: October 03, 2012, 09:54:23 am »

Being in the exact same position (lacking assertiveness) I can't really give any good advice :( Though my issue was whenever I opened my mouth, I usually embarrassed myself, so eventually just shut it completely.

But this isn't about me. Sympathies, Euld :( It totally sucks to be denied the same courtesies you give others. It takes a bit of effort to avoid accidentally stepping on anyone else, and when people trod on you without a second thought, it hurts. Especially with family.

Message me on FB if you're ever feeling down. You don't have to be all happies and smiles if you don't want to.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15844 on: October 03, 2012, 10:33:24 am »

I realised earlier, as I wandered out into the harsh, noisy world to go to an appointment, that I have been near-constantly angry/annoyed for several days straight now. Mainly due to family throwing out my entire little routine/whatever you'd call it. Basically all the stuff I usually do is now compromised by my brother staying here with his kids, as well as my sister(Ugh don't get me started on her) visiting just about every other day and bringing more kids. >:( I spend most days locked in my room listening to CDs via my headphones, trying to drone out the sound of small children rampaging through my home.

I had a brief respite on Monday, where I went to the city with friends I hadn't seen for ages, saw a movie and had a pretty good time, but then of course I had to go and lose my new credit card and was then angry at myself. :-[ Still, it was a pretty good day all-up. But then I had to come home.

I also realised that over the past few days, whilst said family members have been staying here, invading my space and causing me no end of irritation, I've been whining a lot more in this thread. Sorry guys. I'll be back to my usual, apathetic/cheerful self before too long. Hopefully.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15845 on: October 03, 2012, 10:35:32 am »

How old are you?

I am, of course, suggesting moving out if possible.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15846 on: October 03, 2012, 10:44:42 am »

Yeah, as scary as it seems to wimpy little me, that's what I'm gonna have to do. (I'm 19) I've actually been checking out a few places I could rent in the nearest city(where I'd most like to live), a few look promising.
We'll see what happens. If that doesn't work out, maybe I'll travel two states southwards and see about sharing a house with friends down there. At least it'll be an adventure...
Booze is Life for Yoink

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15847 on: October 03, 2012, 10:51:14 am »

Adventures are fun :D Do it! Just ensure you'll never be eating out of garbage cans, though.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15848 on: October 03, 2012, 10:52:54 am »

Naaah, I'm thinking I'd carry a cooking pot and a portable hotplate somewhere on my person, that way I can just boil up some roadkill if needs be. :P ...If I cook it for long enough, it should be edible, right? Right?!
Booze is Life for Yoink

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15849 on: October 03, 2012, 10:53:48 am »

Depends on when it was killed, but it's not impossible. Dead is dead, the only real issue is if it's started full out rotting yet.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15850 on: October 03, 2012, 10:58:22 am »

Depends on when it was killed, but it's not impossible. Dead is dead, the only real issue is if it's started full out rotting yet.

This. Besides, rotting meat stew would be pretty nasty anyway. :/
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #15851 on: October 03, 2012, 11:10:45 am »

Hey,  you can find a surprising amount of good food in rubbish bins. I once found a barely touched KFC box meal in one, and have found about 30Kg total of uneaten chips.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15852 on: October 03, 2012, 11:14:22 am »

I can count the number of things I've eaten out of a trash can on one hand, and they were all still sealed candy.

I guess some kids in elementary school were picky and didn't like the flavor they got.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15853 on: October 03, 2012, 11:19:02 am »

I've never eaten out of a bin. I remember seeing a couple of homeless folk doing so once as a kid and, coupled with the terrible fear of bacteria I had at the time, it just seemed utterly horrifying to me.

...On the other hand, I once dropped an almost-full packet of chewing gum in the toilet as I was peeing. Was I about to let my precious gum go to waste? Nuh-uh. :-\ Good thing disenfectant handwash didn't seem to spoil the taste too badly.
Booze is Life for Yoink

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15854 on: October 03, 2012, 11:22:46 am »

Urine is generally pretty sterile. Though the disinfectant was probably a good idea anyway, due to whatever might've been in the water :P

Of course, I would've just flushed it all down... >.>
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 3345