Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702819 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Tech Support RRAAEEGG Edition
« Reply #15060 on: September 15, 2012, 11:35:38 pm »

Seriously. That sounds like hell on earth.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Tech Support RRAAEEGG Edition
« Reply #15061 on: September 15, 2012, 11:38:02 pm »

Ever been so angry that it literally felt like ice was running through your veins?  I spent about 7 hours feeling that way at work today.  I'm still so angry, I don't know what to do with myself.  I've fucking had it with that place.  The entire experience of working there is organized like it's supposed to be a punishment for something.  Any complaint or criticism is met with accusations of laziness, thinly veiled in official-sounding corporate policy jargon and a stripping down of context that completely discards any element of humanity. 

"You're being paid to do a job, so when you're here, we expect you to stay focused on doing your job."

Yeah, that sounds reasonable when taken completely out of context.  This doesn't excuse demanding such machine-like behavior of employees that it damages their ability and willingness to do their job.  Yet it's repeated in every single interaction as if it's the ultimate universal truth.  That statement is abused so much, it's to the point that managers might as well be plugging their ears and yelling "LALALALALALALALA WON'T LISTEN UNTIL YOU STOP SAYING HUMAN BEING STUFF."

I don't know how people live like this.
Sometimes i always look for that other job or think of a way to work for myself.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15062 on: September 15, 2012, 11:41:34 pm »

Ever been so angry that it literally felt like ice was running through your veins?  I spent about 7 hours feeling that way at work today.  I'm still so angry, I don't know what to do with myself.  I've fucking had it with that place.  The entire experience of working there is organized like it's supposed to be a punishment for something.  Any complaint or criticism is met with accusations of laziness, thinly veiled in official-sounding corporate policy jargon and a stripping down of context that completely discards any element of humanity. 

"You're being paid to do a job, so when you're here, we expect you to stay focused on doing your job."

Yeah, that sounds reasonable when taken completely out of context.  This doesn't excuse demanding such machine-like behavior of employees that it damages their ability and willingness to do their job.  Yet it's repeated in every single interaction as if it's the ultimate universal truth.  That statement is abused so much, it's to the point that managers might as well be plugging their ears and yelling "LALALALALALALALA WON'T LISTEN UNTIL YOU STOP SAYING HUMAN BEING STUFF."

I've got fire, felonies, and a bad attitude. Where do you work? :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15063 on: September 15, 2012, 11:43:58 pm »

Wow. Are your employers Vorgons or what?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15064 on: September 15, 2012, 11:46:05 pm »

Vogons, friend. Vogons.

Edit: Dear god, did I just correct somebody on the spelling of an alien race from a series I've never read/watched?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15065 on: September 15, 2012, 11:48:05 pm »

Vogons, friend. Vogons.

Edit: Dear god, did I just correct somebody on the spelling of an alien race from a series I've never read/watched?
Slight raeg at this.
Sig! Onol

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15066 on: September 16, 2012, 12:01:22 am »

Feel the anger within you, and know now that I've watched the movie and only the movie.

How's the rage now? :P
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15067 on: September 16, 2012, 12:03:04 am »

...9/10ths. Books are teh bestarz. :P
Sig! Onol

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #15068 on: September 16, 2012, 12:12:19 am »

So what happened was this.

I came into work really tired, and was having trouble staying awake after just half an hour.  So I broke out my tablet and started up a roguelike.  It's not hard to play and work at the same time.  I was putting out work at a decent pace.

Then the manager calls me in.  Apparently two other managers and a bunch of other employees had all complained about me first falling asleep, and then playing a game.  She basically tells me "You're supposed to be working, not playing games." 

I explain to her that I've been working.  My numbers are fine.  I've been getting 5 hours of sleep a night for the last month because of clashes between work and family schedules - staying up until 9 am to get the kids on the bus and getting up at 2 pm for work.  The job is extremely mind-numbing and I need SOMETHING else to do on the side that will help me stay mentally alert or I will not be able to work at all.  What I'm doing is the best thing for the company.

Her response is basically "Ok sure that sucks, but you're still supposed to be working instead of playing games.  You're being paid to do a job [blah blah blah]"  She also throws in that everybody else works under the same expectations.  My voice was already shaking at this point, because I've had this same conversation with her probably a dozen times already, as have most of my co-workers.  I had retorts, but I wasn't capable of voicing them coherently at the moment and didn't want to get myself in more trouble, so I basically said "I'm working with my situation the best I possibly can.  I'm at a loss as to what else I can do." 

What I wanted to say:   First, not a single other person on this shift has young children.  Not one.  Second, everybody indulges in distractions.  Everybody gets on the internet.  Everybody plays games on their cell phones.  Everybody else just isn't placed in the most visible spot in the entire office.  Everybody who ever leaves their chair walks by my desk and sees everything I'm doing, and apparently some people spend their entire day worrying about what other people are doing.  Of course I'm going to get reported more than anyone else.  Every single co-worker I talk to is fucking miserable and about a third of your team has quit in the last couple months.  Do you seriously believe this bullshit you're telling me?!

So the conclusion of the meeting is this, and she literally phrased it to me this way:  I have to find some way to keep myself alert and focused throughout the entire day every day, but it can't involve anything that isn't music or work... even after I've thoroughly explained that this is unreasonable.  I'm put on yet another warning (I have a warning against me for basically everything at this point), and it's worded in such a way that if I'm seen falling asleep or doing anything other than listening to music or working that the warning will be elevated up to termination.

I only know one way to deal with this... burn shitloads of emotional energy indulging in angry/suicidal fantasy thoughts.  It's the only thing I can do to keep my eyes open, one of which is now severely bloodshot.  This might be how I spend my entire day at work every day from now on, because EVERYTHING has been shot down.

Sometimes i always look for that other job or think of a way to work for myself.

This indie game studio thing really needs to work out.  I don't know what I'll do if that falls apart.  I should be doing 3d right now, but I don't have it in me.

I've got fire, felonies, and a bad attitude. Where do you work? :P

I'll reveal who I work for when I'm no longer working there.  It's too much of a liability in the meantime.

Wow. Are your employers Vorgons or what?

Basically, yes.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:16:12 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15069 on: September 16, 2012, 09:36:01 am »

Ants. Ants everywhere in my room and bathroom. Goddamn I hate ants.
At least they aren't the nasty biting kind that we had when I lived in Indonesia, but still, goddamn ants.

FUCKING ANTS. I LEFT MY OLD WII ON THE TABLE AND THEY ATE IT. (That sounds hilarious when said aloud.)

I hate talking on the phone. I really do. I have a hard time understanding people face to face. Over the phone, you take away whatever lip reading I could do, take all the body language, and add in a bunch of static and other distortions. And to top it off, I have to speak with this guy who has a thick Indian accent, or a woman with this quiet squeaky voice.

Fuck phones.

YES. FUCK PHONES. I AM PART DEAF AND RARELY SPEAK TO PEOPLE, YET PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK A LONG, DRAWN-OUT PHONE CONVERSATION IS BETTER THAN A TEXT MESSAGE OR E-MAIL. FUCK PHONES.

Call me crazy, but if you want a chick to leave you alone, just be brutally honest with her. "Look, I think you're a skanky whore and I'd rather stick my dick in a beehive than you."

If she still won't leave you alone after that, it's time to call the cops.

Wow. That there is a badass line. Hehehe.

Rage I had coming into this thread: ARGH STUPID FAMILY I HATE THEM WHY ARE THEY ALWAYS BUGGING ME OH GOD WHY

Rage I had after spending the time to catch up on nearly ten pages of rage: ARGH WHY IS IT 12:30 AM WHEN I HAVE TO WORK TOMORROW?! GODDAMNIT I HAVE VIDEOGAMES TO PLAY

FUCK WORK
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15070 on: September 16, 2012, 10:42:01 am »

YES. FUCK PHONES. I AM PART DEAF AND RARELY SPEAK TO PEOPLE, YET PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK A LONG, DRAWN-OUT PHONE CONVERSATION IS BETTER THAN A TEXT MESSAGE OR E-MAIL. FUCK PHONES.
(b'_')b

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15071 on: September 16, 2012, 11:46:25 am »

More complaining about my parents. Waking up at 4AM because they're having a very loud discussion, along with a loud TV, is not good. Especially when one of the first things I hear is them cracking open a beer. Let me repeat that: a goddamned beer. At 4AM. Among their conversation topics, which I could hear pretty clearly, was going down to the waterside to watch the sunrise, which they didn't because they had just been drinking(as in, right that fucking second) and didn't want to get pulled over during the ~0.5 mile drive(the long way, I might have shortcut that makes it quicker) down there. Other bits of their conversation included accusing me of making the whole house vibrate with my fan(wasn't even on, which they eventually figured out), accusing me of making the house cold because my window was open(actually true, although temperature doesn't transfer well between my room and the rest of the house, thank you near-airtight-door. And it was nice out when I went to bed), and finally complaining about how much money they're leeching from me.

And then, had to go do laundry at the laundromat, since the washing machine is busted. My mom actually expected me to be up at 4AM to do it, but otherwise wasn't bad. Getting home, my stepdad makes a remark about how my mom isn't getting any help bringing her clothes in. Meanwhile, I have about three times as much crap to bring in.

Right now, I feel like hurting something.

<job stuff>
Okay, where's my baseball bat. Something's getting hurt.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15072 on: September 16, 2012, 01:55:42 pm »

<job stuff>
Okay, where's my baseball bat. Something's getting hurt.

Can I tag along? I've got a pickaxe!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15073 on: September 16, 2012, 01:58:36 pm »

Me too! I've got... flowers and hippie speeches.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15074 on: September 16, 2012, 02:05:41 pm »

I've got years of bottled-up anger, a substantial portion of which is directly related to employers. I'll tag along as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 3345