Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702138 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Tech Support RRAAEEGG Edition
« Reply #15015 on: September 14, 2012, 04:32:19 pm »

Perhaps do something that she is completely not interested in to repulse her away?  Like make endless Star Trek references or other nerdy shit.
I'm just going with the tried and true strategy of ignoring her and being unpleasant when I have to talk to her, but even that only seems to draw her in. The first time I did my best to drive her off by talking about how I had to write a paper and get some sleep, but that didn't work at all and eventually I just plain told her to leave.

This is the type of person who basically turns into a social homing missile and will pretend to be interested in or accept anything in order to keep up whatever goal they have in mind. I think that might be what I hate about her. I can't fucking stand totally amorphous, utterly fake expressions of interest.
Maybe just ... take a few hours some evening, go out somewhere secluded with this girl, and have a deep, possibly philosophical conversation with her?  Maybe you can trigger something that makes her introspective and develop an actual personality.  Or maybe if she's not in a terribly public place, she can lower the "party girl" shields and you can see something of her true personality, which might be something you like? 

At least if it doesn't look like you're getting anywhere after this, you can just say "hey, we talked and our life views are just too different, good luck with someone else"?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Tech Support RRAAEEGG Edition
« Reply #15016 on: September 14, 2012, 04:46:22 pm »

Perhaps do something that she is completely not interested in to repulse her away?  Like make endless Star Trek references or other nerdy shit.
I'm just going with the tried and true strategy of ignoring her and being unpleasant when I have to talk to her, but even that only seems to draw her in. The first time I did my best to drive her off by talking about how I had to write a paper and get some sleep, but that didn't work at all and eventually I just plain told her to leave.

This is the type of person who basically turns into a social homing missile and will pretend to be interested in or accept anything in order to keep up whatever goal they have in mind. I think that might be what I hate about her. I can't fucking stand totally amorphous, utterly fake expressions of interest.
Maybe just ... take a few hours some evening, go out somewhere secluded with this girl, and have a deep, possibly philosophical conversation with her?  Maybe you can trigger something that makes her introspective and develop an actual personality.  Or maybe if she's not in a terribly public place, she can lower the "party girl" shields and you can see something of her true personality, which might be something you like? 

At least if it doesn't look like you're getting anywhere after this, you can just say "hey, we talked and our life views are just too different, good luck with someone else"?
And when she finally shows her true personality, say this:

"Her shields are down, cap'n!"

"Fire photon torpedos!"

I'm sorry.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15017 on: September 14, 2012, 05:13:56 pm »

I'm sorry.
As you should be.

I'm just saying that maybe she sees some kind of stability in MSH that's drawing her to him subconsciously.  Or consciously.  Whichever. 

I've known a few individuals that turned out to be pretty decent and respectable once past thier first semester or two of college. 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15018 on: September 14, 2012, 06:23:48 pm »

I'm just saying that maybe she sees some kind of stability in MSH that's drawing her to him subconsciously.  Or consciously.  Whichever.
I doubt that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15019 on: September 14, 2012, 06:55:18 pm »

Kids these days, and they're like two years younger than me. Like, what the flying fuck, I know I was very destructive when I was younger, but it was either with stuff I owned, or stuff that was no ones/of no use, I did not fucking knock over news stand drink refirigerators >:O

Also, MSH, try the gay approach, but that might backfire, better yet, tell her that your genitalia is of magical property, destined to unlock the door for the human ascencion, bound to happen soon. Or something equally outlandish, just convince her that your tool is of great importance and is not to be sticked into random passerbys.

Also, last few days, Youtube videos randomly pause as if they're buffering when they have been clearly fully buffered before, and it's freaking annoying, the same way there's a random chance that a video starts buffering again once you hit the replay button, which is fucking infuriating if you're running an internet connection which allows you 1 gigabyte of traffic before telling you to fuck off and slowing down to less than a dial-up.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15020 on: September 14, 2012, 07:27:31 pm »

I'm not going to pretend to be gay to get this girl off me. She's just going to have to accept that she will never get a piece of me.

(Additional rage: "Health and Safety" will be doing an inspection of all the dorm rooms soon for university compliance. My roommate is a goddamn filthy slob, so if this is a cumulative audit I am going to be very unhappy with him.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 07:29:47 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15021 on: September 14, 2012, 07:30:55 pm »

She's just going to have to accept that she will never get a piece of me.
Bwhahaha

My rage: Got piled with like, 5 different tasks at the same time at work today, and couldn't juggle them all at the same time. Cue passive aggression about "not listening" when I invariably screw something up.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15022 on: September 14, 2012, 07:36:39 pm »

(Additional rage: "Health and Safety" will be doing an inspection of all the dorm rooms soon for university compliance. My roommate is a goddamn filthy slob, so if this is a cumulative audit I am going to be very unhappy with him.)
Keep your stuff in order, do what you can for the rest of the room. If they bring something up, explain the situation. It won't be cumulative unless the folks running your housing are goddamn idiots; they're aware that situations like the one you're going through is a thing. If you're keeping your own area in order and giving a try with the communal-ish parts, they should come down on your roomie alone, especially if you explain the situation.

If they don't, find whoever their supervisor is and talk to them. In all seriousness, these folks deal with hundreds upon hundreds of college students on a yearly basis. They've got an idea about what's up and how to respond appropriately, more likely than not. They just occasionally need some prodding.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15023 on: September 14, 2012, 07:37:49 pm »

There really isn't a cumulative part. This is a small room. Two people could not comfortably stand in the space between our beds.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15024 on: September 14, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »

The county my uni is in just went wet very recently. D:

Same with mine. It hailed horizontally and when I got back home it was sunny.

WTF, Melbourne?

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #15025 on: September 14, 2012, 09:33:39 pm »

The county my uni is in just went wet very recently. D:

Same with mine. It hailed horizontally and when I got back home it was sunny.

WTF, Melbourne?

You're from Australia? You are not twice as sexy in my mind. Also, so gonna read all your posts with an accent from now on. A German accent.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15026 on: September 14, 2012, 09:40:08 pm »

My rage: God damn I think stupid stupid things sometimes. So... Damn... Stupid. And then when I realized I was doing it, I had to beat a hasty retreat to save face. Good times.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15027 on: September 14, 2012, 10:04:25 pm »

So I'm in a Virtual Enterprise class, which is a course where we simulate working a real business. I'm the Chief Financial Officer, answering only to the CEO and our teacher.

A few weeks ago, we had to decide what to do with the business. We decided on selling flights, an airline company. Except, now I've had the numbers crunched, I find that we're likely to have a virtual business be virtually bankrupt in ~4 months. This is because we're a selling a service, not a product. We can only sell to other VE classes, who we also have to buy from. We can only sell up to the number of employees in the company we are selling to, because of the nature of our service. They are most likely to take the cheapest option they can for it.

Now, here's the problem: We never see 50% of that money in our bank accounts. Why? That's the standard operating costs for all businesses, 50% of total sales. Then, we need to pay salaries, taxes, rent, utilities, and all manner of other expenses. Our total salary costs alone are $39,000. We have around $100,000 - $120,000 in our bank, likely slightly over the second figure. We are required to buy from other companies as well, at least 2 transactions a day per employee. Our most expensive ticket is less than $5,000 (Yeah, height of realism there... and we're expected to have realistic prices, so that's subject to major change), and that's first class to Sydney. Nobody is going to buy first class. Hardly anyone is going to want to go to Sydney.

I think ya'll can see the issues here.

So I go to the CEO and tell him that I'm concerned it's not going to work, and why. He proceeds to laugh, and turn towards marketing (who have been attempting to photoshop planes to have our logo and such on them for the website) and says, "Hey, how would you guys like to do what you've done all over again?"

Guess the answer. I'm tempted to pull rank and tell them, "You are in my department, I am your direct superior, I don't care that you want to be lazy and just watch basketball videos or listen to music all day. I want to pass and do well, and I'm not going to let you let this collapse and fail us all."

Also, at least one of the marketing people says he can make it work because, and this is in his own words, "I can sell crack to a Christian."
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:15:05 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #15028 on: September 14, 2012, 10:06:39 pm »

Small economies are rather unrealistic, imo.

You need the masses to pander to (and rip money from).

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15029 on: September 14, 2012, 10:18:49 pm »

Is, uh. Is asking the teacher for advice a possibility? That'd be my modus operandi for running into a wall in a college class. Profs ostensibly get paid to provide the sort of information you'd be looking for, after all. And you did try to work inside the project!

Is your grade or whatev' reliant on success, or just doing all the right things, even if it ends in bankruptcy?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 3345