Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3701809 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Peanutbutter Fatality Edition
« Reply #14805 on: September 12, 2012, 09:17:52 am »

I hate relative grading in-school.

There can never be more than 24 A-equivalents, no more than 40 B-equivalents, and nore more than 120 C-equivalents, ina school of 600. Is this crazy or not? -_-

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Peanutbutter Fatality Edition
« Reply #14806 on: September 12, 2012, 09:21:17 am »

There can never be more than 24 A-equivalents, no more than 40 B-equivalents, and nore more than 120 C-equivalents, ina school of 600. Is this crazy or not? -_-

wait they lump people in the grading scale?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14807 on: September 12, 2012, 09:23:09 am »

So, if I'm reading this right, 70% of your school is required to fail or at least near-fail?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14808 on: September 12, 2012, 09:25:00 am »

Everything's relative here.

An A (= Rank 1) is top 4%, or 96% percentile.
B (= Rank 2) is top 11%, excluding the 4% already mentioned. 89th percentile.
C (=Rank 3) is top 26%, excluding previous 11%. 74th percentile.
D (=Rank 4) is something like 56 percent.
E (=R5) is 70% or so, 20th percentile.
F (=R6) is the rest.

Given, R3 here isn't as terrible as a C in the West.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14809 on: September 12, 2012, 09:29:23 am »

No, it seems like its much better than a C in the West. There isn't even an E in the US, it's just A (100-93%), B (92-85%), C (84-77%), D (76-70%), F (70-0%).
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14810 on: September 12, 2012, 09:30:45 am »

No, it seems like its much better than a C in the West. There isn't even an E in the West, it's just A (100-93%), B (92-85%), C (84-77%), D (76-70%), F (70-0%).

I've always had A (100-90%), B(89-80%), C(79-70%), D(69-60%), and F (everything else).

EDIT: Oh but that's the score you get on the assignment; I haven't had to deal with percentile based grading.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:32:17 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14811 on: September 12, 2012, 09:33:48 am »

EDIT: Oh but that's the score you get on the assignment; I haven't had to deal with percentile based grading.
No, that's what I meant. I've never heard of percentile based grading in the US or anywhere else in the West. 7-point and 10-point scales seem to vary, though.
No Gods, No Masters.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14812 on: September 12, 2012, 09:40:13 am »

Percentile based grading is terrible. Sparks an endles cycle of competition that is very vicious in both meanings of the word. Self-feeding, and vicious.
I mean, I bet few of you know what a hakwon is. :s It's a place where you learn everything that is supposed to be learned in school, and better. Everyone goes there. Bar of achievement rises. People go to further lengths. Higher bar. Ceteris paribus, it ends in this disparity between classes and tests, sice test have to be able to spread the students out enough to stack'm up:

What you learn in class: The circle is intersected by a line. Find the area.
On the test: There might be a circle, and here's a single line of hints that's a single equation. Find the area of the shape that is drawn by the other shape. :D

'bout percentiles: the SAT is graded on a scale, I think.
'bout Rank 3: Anything under a 3 is trash, so basically 76% of the school fails.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14813 on: September 12, 2012, 09:44:54 am »

From what I remember the SAT is graded on a points based scale, though since it's a standarized test they choose questions in such a way that the scores have a bell-curve distribution. I think the AP tests are graded on a percentile scale though.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14814 on: September 12, 2012, 09:54:08 am »

That sounds incrediably messed up, I thought school was meant to teach... that sounds more like aggressive filtration.
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14815 on: September 12, 2012, 09:55:44 am »

That sounds incrediably messed up, I thought school was meant to teach... that sounds more like aggressive filtration.
It does teach. The methods of securing high-paying jobs etc.
By climbing up on the skulls of your potential competitors.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14816 on: September 12, 2012, 09:59:45 am »

School was supposed to teach? I always thought it was a pressurized filtering system!

As an aside, in my 1 year stint at a American school district, I did learn.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:38:47 am by Skyrunner »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14817 on: September 12, 2012, 10:56:07 am »

HP OfficeJet 8500 909g.

FFuuuucccckkkkk yyyyyyooooouuuu!

This thing has eaten almost a day's worth of my time. Keep defaulting to the fax side of the printer even though I've told you not to? Out of ink cartridges you say, even though every single one has been replaced? Device connected and ready to print but won't print to half of the programs that call it? Trying to update the firmware and the tool says the printer isn't connected, even though HP's own fucking diagnostic tools say it's connected, as does Windows?

Eat shit and die!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:59:51 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14818 on: September 12, 2012, 10:57:14 am »

HP OfficeJet 8500 909g.

Printers were invented by Hitler.  True fact!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14819 on: September 12, 2012, 11:37:17 am »

School was supposed to teach? I always thought it was a pressurized filtering system!

As an aside, in my 1 year stint at a American school district, I did learn.
And they said foreign schools are better, only if you are a brainiac with steriods
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 3345