Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702541 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Peanutbutter Fatality Edition
« Reply #14730 on: September 10, 2012, 04:57:59 am »

People here, the money grubbing kind.

See, there's this rather big pilgrimage site nearby, Christian one (Međugorje if anyone's wondering), and it usual gets by by selling cheap trinkets, oils, some wine and food and mostly statuettes of the Virgin Mary (of Chinese origin funnily enough). But as of recent, they started selling turtles, and it seems the tourists are quite hot for turtles.

Now the rage inducing part is that those turtles are endemic and somewhat endangered, and nobody is giving a single shit about it. So fuck people for their shortsightednss and sheer idiocy, because if I ever get any kind of power they will be flying into chains faster than you can say "Look a turtle!"
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Peanutbutter Fatality Edition
« Reply #14731 on: September 10, 2012, 05:02:24 am »

Are this site connected to turtles in any way? I mean... Why would a holy site be selling turtles?
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14732 on: September 10, 2012, 05:08:39 am »

Read that book by Carl Hiaasen and all will become clear. I... Can't remember which book. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14733 on: September 10, 2012, 05:11:42 am »

Because people are willing to buy them. It's quite sickening really, because it was a very small village twenty years ago, with no utilities and living off of farming mostly (wine, tobacco, sheep, etc.). After the alleged visitations it started to grow, and not in a natural, planned way a small village should grow, this is more like violent development where buildings are being build without any thought about the consequences, and these are mostly apartments for rent, hell, I'm not sure if there's a sewage connection in most of the houses or are they still dumping it into the local river and septic tanks (which seem to be connected to a network of natural caves, which in turn are connected with most sources of water in the area).

Worst of all I don't think this will stop anytime soon, reaching an abrupt end in the future where the whole thing will collapse on itself leaving a large number of people with no real source of income and a rather ruined countryside.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14734 on: September 10, 2012, 05:15:00 am »

Apparently the book is 'Lucky You', by Carl Hiaasen.

But yeah, that kind of shit makes me angry. Not much more to say, really.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #14735 on: September 10, 2012, 10:35:14 am »

Because people are willing to buy them. It's quite sickening really, because it was a very small village twenty years ago, with no utilities and living off of farming mostly (wine, tobacco, sheep, etc.). After the alleged visitations it started to grow, and not in a natural, planned way a small village should grow, this is more like violent development where buildings are being build without any thought about the consequences, and these are mostly apartments for rent, hell, I'm not sure if there's a sewage connection in most of the houses or are they still dumping it into the local river and septic tanks (which seem to be connected to a network of natural caves, which in turn are connected with most sources of water in the area).

Worst of all I don't think this will stop anytime soon, reaching an abrupt end in the future where the whole thing will collapse on itself leaving a large number of people with no real source of income and a rather ruined countryside.

It's times like these when I want to disappear to a foreign country and go turtle-hunter hunting. The damn things have been virtually unchanged for millions of years and now they're going extinct due to assholes. But shit, I can't even work up the drive to write a blog about it... though a save-the-turtles blog would be pretty neat.

Not that the rest of the ecosystem being ruined isn't rage-inducing as well but... y'know... turtles.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14736 on: September 10, 2012, 11:18:36 am »

Turtles are just so awesome that having them go extinct would be the biggest sad ever.
Lil' bros are cute as hell.

I live in a would-be Christian pelgrimage that lost to Scherpenheuvel.
The story here is that there was a Holy Virgin statue coming trough our (small) river by boat, they took a break in my town/village and when they would go further the statue basically had gone all non-verbal "fuck you" and made the boat immobile, so the statue stayed here.

Guess what my village is called.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14737 on: September 10, 2012, 11:20:55 am »

Boatstatue? Statueboats? Statueabbeys? Turtlemurdered?  >:(

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14738 on: September 10, 2012, 11:27:48 am »

Nope, try again.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #14739 on: September 10, 2012, 11:35:30 am »

...and to top it all, after tourists (from countries far from yours) get bored of them, they will in best case scenario dump them in local river/pond where they may or may not survive. And if for former, poor little foreign fuckers will start to tear apart the local ecosystem, be introduced as invasive species, declared dangerous and put on "kill-on-sight" list.

Something like this happened in my country...though it did not go to such extremes. But yeah, THAT would be even more rage worthy.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14740 on: September 10, 2012, 11:42:21 am »

I don't think turtles can even BE an invasive species. I mean hell, even if they were I wouldn't mind. To quote Mitch Hedberg: "It would be the cutest infestation EVER!" even though he was referring to Koala bears. But yes, I am fully aware what happens to turtles when they get big and kids don't think they're cute anymore. I have a nearly 30 year old red-eared slider, and three Redfoot Tortoises, both of which are supposed to be incredibly easy to take care of. The red-eared slider we rescued from a co-worker of my mother's who had been feeding it wet cat food and hadn't changed it's water in a year. Poor Josephine came to us with shell rot so bad we literally had to scrub it off with a toothbrush and iodine so the new one would grow back. The three Redfoots (Redfeet? =p) are actually difficult to care for, requiring a great deal of space (to be happy) and a minimum temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit.  My parents finally built an addition to the house with heated tile flooring and potted banana trees for the little bastards. I can't imagine what terrible conditions other people's are kept in.

Also, I give up at guessing. When dorf fortress names fail me I don't know where to turn.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14741 on: September 10, 2012, 11:44:10 am »

Started a Life Advice thread about a few days ago. I posted what I needed to and got some helpful advice. Someone posts something that isn't advice. Someone else comments. Thread derails. I tell them to stop discussing it in the thread while updating how the situation is going. Three posts later it continues, and grows. I lock thread before concluding the problem I posted about.

We someone tells you to stop discussing something in a Life Advice thread, don't continue! LA is not the board for sociological discussion when it's a tangent to what the OP is asking about!

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #14742 on: September 10, 2012, 11:53:00 am »

Missed End of nations beta weekend because of sickness, but cant rage too much or I'll start coughing again. :(
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #14743 on: September 10, 2012, 12:04:22 pm »

I don't think turtles can even BE an invasive species.
Sadly, they can be. Sadly, invasive as "foreign turtles threatening actual domestic types of turtles with extinction". Yeah, a turtle-eat-turtle situation. But I think that got normalized in my country? I hope at least. Haven't heard anything in years about that topic, and even before just a word-to-mouth.
But then again, maybe this should go to sad thread.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14744 on: September 10, 2012, 12:36:13 pm »

For some reason my " key and the @ key have swapped functions when the shift key is pressed. Just those two keys.

yyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 3345