Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705673 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Lactose Tolerance Edition
« Reply #14310 on: August 24, 2012, 12:10:03 pm »

HULK SMASH
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Lactose Tolerance Edition
« Reply #14311 on: August 24, 2012, 12:46:25 pm »

Printers ARE the most rage inducing machines known to man. Part of me thinks engineers continue to try to push us paperless against our will just by making printers so damned difficult.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14312 on: August 24, 2012, 05:36:32 pm »

This isn't so much something to rage at as it is the pinnacle of rage rampages. So naturally when I'm raging I imagine I'm the giant.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14313 on: August 24, 2012, 06:59:28 pm »

Irony: the attempt to make your first backup results in... a corrupted backup, destroying an hour of work.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:01:17 pm by Putnam »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14314 on: August 24, 2012, 07:01:12 pm »

That's not ironic, that's an unfortunate happenstance.

Now if it corrupted your original file too, that would be ironic.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14315 on: August 24, 2012, 07:15:11 pm »

I know there's a Futurama link around here somewhere...

Ah, here it is: Bender defines "irony"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14316 on: August 24, 2012, 07:16:06 pm »

No, it was irony. An attempt to prevent corruption of files so as to not lose hours of work results in the corruption of a file and the loss of hours of work. How is that not irony?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14317 on: August 24, 2012, 07:45:08 pm »

Printers ARE the most rage inducing machines known to man. Part of me thinks engineers continue to try to push us paperless against our will just by making printers so damned difficult.

Seriously.  You'd think technology as mature as printing wouldn't suck as much as it does.

My own technology induced rage fest hit me again today.  Foodlion must have the absolute worst self checkouts ever developed.  Out of perhaps the last then times I've used one, only once did I manage to get through the whole process without it flipping out and requiring someone to come over and reset it.  It either thinks you're stealing something, can't figure out what the devil you just scanned, or just has a brain fart and refuses to work until someone resets it.  What the heck, Foodlion?

I'll stand in line 45 minutes at a regular cashier if I have to.  I'm done with this.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14318 on: August 24, 2012, 07:51:37 pm »

Y'know, I may be a transhumanist and I'm all for the glorious advance of technology and all that, but I just don't trust automated checkouts in stores for some reason.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14319 on: August 24, 2012, 07:52:10 pm »

No, it was irony. An attempt to prevent corruption of files so as to not lose hours of work results in the corruption of a file and the loss of hours of work. How is that not irony?
Ah, so it did corrupt your original file, not just the resulting backup. 'Tis irony then.

Irony's a funky word that I think I only have a tenuous grasp on. Basically, something that looks like X, but is actually the exact opposite of X, is ironic. Sarcasm is ironic.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14320 on: August 24, 2012, 07:54:44 pm »

The original wasn't corrupted, but it was hours behind the backup I was attempting to make.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #14321 on: August 24, 2012, 08:13:25 pm »

Y'know, I may be a transhumanist and I'm all for the glorious advance of technology and all that, but I just don't trust automated checkouts in stores for some reason.
Would you trust it if it had a person's consciousness implanted in a Gravitonic Brain inside it?

I mean, aside from that being fucking awesome, it'd be mostly the same.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14322 on: August 24, 2012, 08:15:04 pm »

Would you trust it if it had a person's consciousness implanted in a Gravitonic Brain inside it?

I mean, aside from that being fucking awesome, it'd be mostly the same.

Yeah, but it'd still be better (Well, at least for me. I don't know about the consciousness installed in the thing, though.). I prefer dealing with sentient entities when it comes to transactions and such.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14323 on: August 24, 2012, 08:15:46 pm »

I love the self checkouts. Less required human interaction when I venture outside my cave for nourishment.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14324 on: August 24, 2012, 08:18:58 pm »

You do realize that most of us here are human, don't you Kaijyuu? :P
So, you interact with many humans, daily. :o
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 3345