Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3710305 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: The Unbinding Of Akura!
« Reply #14085 on: August 19, 2012, 01:43:24 pm »

... overheating is a thing. There's some programs that track CPU temp or whatever, I think. If you're having overheating issues, might want to pick one or two up, keep yourself on top of things. Turning off before it fries is generally better than letting it cook until it kills itself.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14086 on: August 19, 2012, 02:24:01 pm »

Overheating is very much a thing. When in doubt, add more fans! (or liquid cooling, but that is more complicated)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14087 on: August 19, 2012, 02:34:58 pm »

Last week I flipped something heavy I shouldn't have, and tore the rotator cuff in my shoulder.
It feels fine now, as long as I don't strain it.

Thing is, I woke up this morning with wrist tendonitis on the same arm. I'm so frustrated, especially since I'm getting my car back this week with a rebuilt engine and much more power.

I really don't want to have to go back to the doctor to trade my sling in for a splint/cast.
I can't even open a ramen package, it's too painful
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 02:38:21 pm by yougiedeggs »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14088 on: August 19, 2012, 02:38:56 pm »

See, this is why I'm a transhumanist. Getting rid of all the frailties of the human body and all that.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #14089 on: August 19, 2012, 02:49:25 pm »

... overheating is a thing. There's some programs that track CPU temp or whatever, I think. If you're having overheating issues, might want to pick one or two up, keep yourself on top of things. Turning off before it fries is generally better than letting it cook until it kills itself.
Yep; I use CPUID HWMonitor myself.

If it is overheating, buy a bottle of the compressed air you can find in the electronics section of most stores for a couple bucks, then apply liberally to your computer's innards to get all the dust out. Just be careful not to turn it sideways/upsidedown while doing so, as the cans contain very cold liquid which would be mildly bad if it got on you. After getting out all the dust from the CPU and such, your computer will run much cooler, the fans probably won't need to go as fast, and so it may also be quieter when running. When I did it on my computer (it hadn't been done in over half a year), the CPU temp dropped from idling at 57C with full fans to idling at 47C with partial fan power. Typically this should be done every few months depending on how dusty the computer's environment is.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14090 on: August 19, 2012, 02:49:25 pm »

If that wasn't bad enough, tensions in the household are so high that my injury is just another annoyance to my parents. I wouldn't dare ask for a ride to the doctor when they're like this.

My heavy lifting isn't done yet either. I lent my neighbor a canoe last week, and the douche is too busy to bring it back. Now I also need to find someone to help me carry it home, as the canoe is seemingly more important to my parents than my pain.

I really really hate people.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14091 on: August 19, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »

I don't envy PC developers, since getting something compatible with all the random hardware out there is a ridiculously huge headache. People whine about "missing major problems" but unless the developers have a large beta beforehand to find these problems, they're likely not going to know they exist. Testing all the "major" graphics cards out there, for example, would be something like a dozen different graphics cards. And when a bug only occurs with a specific version of x graphics card, or something wacky like that, it's kinda hard to blame them for missing it. ]
I'm fine with them not finding things with this graphics card or that graphics card, it's when every single version of an entire OS encounters the same bug and crashes that bugs me. I mean even a simple load on any hardware combination, as long as it is running that OS, would have revealed the problem but they couldn't be bothered to do that.

See, this is why I'm a transhumanist. Getting rid of all the frailties of the human body and all that.
Power to you man!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14092 on: August 19, 2012, 03:09:38 pm »

My take on transhumanism: Imagine getting the mp3 version of anything you will ever experience ever again until they accidentally shut down the server that you are hosted on due to system imperfections.

Yeah, no, I'll take my analog meatbag, sorry. The public outcry against transhumanism after the first generation manages to destroy enough early adopters completely is going to ruin it for everyone anyway. THAT is why you should hate humanity. They will ruin your chances to escape them, forever, until true death becomes your only escape.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14093 on: August 19, 2012, 03:10:56 pm »

I'm fine with it, so long as I'm not forever stuck in outdated hardware. Imagine being in the commodore 64 version of a cyborg body amongst all the shiny new ones.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14094 on: August 19, 2012, 03:15:40 pm »

I just want to have my mind uploaded into a Von Neumann probe. Preferably with the ability alter my perception of the flow of time so I don't have to deal with the long stretches of time between solar systems.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14095 on: August 19, 2012, 03:17:01 pm »

Don't worry about it. With the new Apple iBody, all you have to do is plug into a terminal to redownload yourself into the computer, and then into your updated Apple iBody 2.

Oh, you just plugged into a computer that didn't realize that you already had a personality installed? Oh, I'm sure it won't activate the automatic blanki-- oh. Well, I'm sure you were keeping up with your $1,000 a month back-up personality bill, right? Oh, you'd just gotten a new job after a long unemployment run ... Well ... I guess you're dead after all!

Edit: Maybe I should stop being so pessimistic about these things, but I always see transhumanists as entirely optimistic people because I can see an infinite amount of problems arising at only a cursory glance of the situation. It requires entirely too many things to go right, and as the majority of my experience has been "things more often than not go wrong" I see naivety when it may not, in fact, exist.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:27:12 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14096 on: August 19, 2012, 05:40:02 pm »

Threw up through my nose this morning. It burned, tasted horrible, and it still smells terrible, 18 hours later.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14097 on: August 19, 2012, 05:42:27 pm »

Oww, that sounds like it'd hurt.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14098 on: August 19, 2012, 06:58:30 pm »

I've done it before. It does hurt. Or maybe that was just delirium from the fever.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14099 on: August 19, 2012, 07:08:17 pm »

Another way I know what it's like is because I've inhaled (through my nose) concentrated hydrochloric acid and boiling (literally boiling) sulphuric acid, both from chemistry.
HOW?!?!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 3345