Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 937 938 [939] 940 941 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3710250 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: The Unbinding Of Akura!
« Reply #14070 on: August 19, 2012, 01:31:43 am »

Yeah, but isn't it the duty of every programmer to test, break, and understand how the breakage happened in their product? We were getting mini-error-logs in Java within 8 weeks of starting the class!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14071 on: August 19, 2012, 01:53:51 am »

My big problem with games is when the programmers fail to miss major problems. I mean if you say your game supports Mac and the instant you release the latest patch every single Mac player gets an error and crashes whenever they try to join a server, you would think that you would at least bother to run a single patch test on a Mac before releasing it! I mean it's when the errors are blatantly obvious and can even impede the very playing of the game and the game developers don't bother to run a single test on a different operating system that they claim to support is what annoys me.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14072 on: August 19, 2012, 01:55:44 am »

My big problem with games is when the programmers fail to miss major problems.

I agree, it's much more fun when you have a major problem or two left in to spice up your gameplay. ;)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #14073 on: August 19, 2012, 03:01:22 am »

I look at bug-hunting as an adventure much akin to DF Adventure mode. Most of the time I encounter "hoary marmot"-level bugs which are easily tackled and wrestled into submission before I dissect them piece by piece. Some other times it is a "Mountain Titan (Beware his webs!)"-level bug that is so convoluted in the reproduction steps that it is extremely difficult to rend asunder and strike down (on my list). Those still are able to be squashed like the pitiful bugs they are. Most rare is the "Grand Master Ambusher Kobold"-level bug that is nigh impossible to track down unless it literally hits you in the face by shear coincidence of you looking at the right spot at the right time.

Regarding the recently above, and reason for posting this : For large, often high-budget, applications there is a balance to be found between product testing and the release date. There essentially can never be enough testing and sometimes things have to be cut short (in bug checking/testing) in order to release on time.

I do not agree that anything should be released saying it is compatible with X device when in fact it crashes hard at every turn on X device, but it could be a PR -or- time management issue that prevented [Company] from effectively testing on even the more common configurations of X device.

Actually, I am not entirely sure why I started this post. I am sorry if any of this is out of context with the problem, and most importantly if it makes absolutely no sense at all...
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14074 on: August 19, 2012, 03:12:09 am »

Some bugs are over my level of programming, and I get mired down and give up. :S

It's like sending a titan at a fledgling fort of six dwarves. Where the seventh went... well, don't ask me that. >.> <.<

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14075 on: August 19, 2012, 03:37:17 am »

My big problem with games is when the programmers fail to miss major problems.
I agree, it's much more fun when you have a major problem or two left in to spice up your gameplay. ;)
*Facepalm* The problems I run into when my brain runs faster then my fingers can type. I think there used to be a sentence in there that I aborted mid-typing, resulting in the present monstrosity. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #14076 on: August 19, 2012, 04:33:53 am »

I think I read it as intended, and possibly got confused by Yoink lol.

I read it as
My big problem with games is when the programmers fail to find major problems.
or as
My big problem with games is when the programmers miss major problems.

In either of those contexts, removing or altering a word causes it to make proper sense as I believe was intended.  Then I read Yoink's post and somehow disillusioned myself into forgetting what was quoted as contextual or being just tongue-in-cheek humor.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14077 on: August 19, 2012, 04:41:09 am »

I don't envy PC developers, since getting something compatible with all the random hardware out there is a ridiculously huge headache. People whine about "missing major problems" but unless the developers have a large beta beforehand to find these problems, they're likely not going to know they exist. Testing all the "major" graphics cards out there, for example, would be something like a dozen different graphics cards. And when a bug only occurs with a specific version of x graphics card, or something wacky like that, it's kinda hard to blame them for missing it.

Bugs in console games have no excuse, though :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14078 on: August 19, 2012, 04:44:20 am »

Ugh, my internet is unstable. I keep losing connection D:

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14079 on: August 19, 2012, 04:55:36 am »

Yeah, but isn't it the duty of every programmer to test, break, and understand how the breakage happened in their product? We were getting mini-error-logs in Java within 8 weeks of starting the class!
No way, that's what they hire game testers for!  Programmers are too lazy to ram their faces against every wall in Skyrim to see where the collision breaks :P.

I do feel for Bethesda, though.  Testing such a massive amount of content that has no real linear path is probably a massive pain, and you'd never be able to catch everything before release.  In terms of an error log, I found this after a quick googling.  Hopefully it helps, if you hadn't seen it already.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14080 on: August 19, 2012, 11:01:03 am »

Ugh, my internet is unstable. I keep losing connection D:

Same here.

We can be unstable internet buddies!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14081 on: August 19, 2012, 11:44:17 am »

Ok, who broke Britain?

WHY IS IT SO DAMN HOT HERE

AARRGHGHHGHG

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14082 on: August 19, 2012, 11:48:38 am »

It's not only Britain, they seem to have broken the entirety of Europe.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14083 on: August 19, 2012, 12:19:12 pm »

The US has been broken for a while too.  In fact, the east part was so broke that it broke the west side for a while.  I guess everyone's deity/deities have been fooling with the air conditioning again.

edit again: ehhh not going there, probably would start an argument anyway.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:17:13 pm by Euld »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14084 on: August 19, 2012, 01:41:16 pm »

It's not only Britain, they seem to have broken the entirety of Europe.
The breaking of Europe broke my computer. Was playing TF2, suddenly, BAM, computer dies. Restart.
BSOD. Fatal error.
Restart, select repair thingy. Computer dies again.
Then i let it cool down a bit and ran the repair utility again, and now its back.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 937 938 [939] 940 941 ... 3345