Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3710210 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: The Unbinding Of Akura!
« Reply #14025 on: August 17, 2012, 02:12:13 pm »

Eh...I probably could have done with some competitive sports when I was younger  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14026 on: August 17, 2012, 02:16:32 pm »

It's not that bad, except for some of the more extremely introverted children. Besides that, some competition is always good.
Not fully agreeing with you, here. Something about organized team sports somehow turns a significant fraction of children into raging assholes. Could have done without that shit when I was younger. Only thing it taught was that being a asshat wins games and makes a fair chunk of other people miserable. Not a single damn positive thing from it, unless you count a foundation for misanthropy as a good thing.

Pickup games or whatever with friends (i.e. non-assholes or, if you lean that way, assholes) aren't that bad. Competitive sports in public school was fucking miserable, as a rule.

We really shouldn't have to avoid actions to prevent some people from feeling bad.
Man, what? Maybe if there was a second option of some sort, which I guess there might be in some areas. Kids don't want to play with jackasses, they shouldn't be forced to play with jackasses.

Then again, if it's truly a competitive thing (as opposed to sports that are merely a competition) it's usually not mandatory.
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14027 on: August 17, 2012, 02:24:00 pm »

Some dumbass wants to promote competive sport in belgian elementary schools.

I think that this will only cause the less sportive children (like i was) to feel worse...
And obviously make the popular kids more popular.

I think.
They're breaking down the entire Belgian school system at the moment. I mean, folding all different school types into a single system. Whose Idea was that>(Ministeres of eduction, actually.) I mean, the current system in Belgium is that you got A schools, Technical and B and then the special circuits, with A and B both spread into different groups, like latin or other stuff in A and all sort of different things in B. (A is more general knowledge, while B is learning a trade).

Now they want to fold all those(except for the special circuits) into one for the first four years of High school. Meaning that everyone has to learn Latin but only for like 1 or 2 hours a week. This is
A: Not enough to properly learn anything
B: Utterly useless for 90% of those who are going to study.

I mean we got one of the best education systems already, and then you're going to break the entire system. (Also, there have been protests from all directions, but so far with no effects.)

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14028 on: August 17, 2012, 02:28:06 pm »

Some dumbass wants to promote competive sport in belgian elementary schools.

I think that this will only cause the less sportive children (like i was) to feel worse...
And obviously make the popular kids more popular.

I think.
They're breaking down the entire Belgian school system at the moment. I mean, folding all different school types into a single system. Whose Idea was that>(Ministeres of eduction, actually.) I mean, the current system in Belgium is that you got A schools, Technical and B and then the special circuits, with A and B both spread into different groups, like latin or other stuff in A and all sort of different things in B. (A is more general knowledge, while B is learning a trade).

Now they want to fold all those(except for the special circuits) into one for the first four years of High school. Meaning that everyone has to learn Latin but only for like 1 or 2 hours a week. This is
A: Not enough to properly learn anything
B: Utterly useless for 90% of those who are going to study.

I mean we got one of the best education systems already, and then you're going to break the entire system. (Also, there have been protests from all directions, but so far with no effects.)

The homogenization of schooling across the board seems to be a problem everywhere. Even in the US, where public schooling is pretty much exactly as you've described they're doing in Belgium, the only variability is teaching methods and supplies.
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14029 on: August 17, 2012, 02:52:05 pm »

the only variability is teaching methods and supplies.

I disagree with this. The culture and political beliefs that dominate in US states have a large impact on curriculum. See: Kansas, Kentucky, the Carolinas, ect....

Methods are different from content and right now there is a big fight to control content at the local level in the US.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14030 on: August 17, 2012, 02:53:05 pm »

the only variability is teaching methods and supplies.

I disagree with this. The culture and political beliefs that dominate in US states have a large impact on curriculum. See: Kansas, Kentucky, the Carolinas, ect....

Methods are different from content and right now there is a big fight to control content at the local level in the US.

The again, those tend to either go nowhere fast, or are insignificant

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14031 on: August 17, 2012, 02:57:40 pm »

The again, those tend to either go nowhere fast, or are insignificant

Kansas has been in the business of subverting widely accepted scientific knowledge and substituting religious belief for a long time now. If you care at all about the quality and fidelity of public education, I would not say that's "insignificant" or "going nowhere fast." There was even in a move in one state, which I forget the name of atm, to make it illegal to mention the words "homosexual" "gay" "lesbian" in any context in middle schools.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14032 on: August 17, 2012, 03:09:45 pm »

My internet keeps going down ever 5 FUCKING MINUTES for 30 MINUTES AT A TIME, which chaps my ass, or it would, if I didn't just pull my ass getting into a weird-ass position trying to play a keyboard out of the side of an office chair.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14033 on: August 17, 2012, 04:12:49 pm »

There was even in a move in one state, which I forget the name of atm, to make it illegal to mention the words "homosexual" "gay" "lesbian" in any context in middle schools.

That would be my state, Tennessee, and I do believe it passed. And it covers ALL teachers, not just middle school.

My Rage: Power surge this morning. Storm lopped off a tree branch which cut my house's grounding wire and messed up some others. Cue having to replace lights and surge protectors after a powerless morning.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14034 on: August 17, 2012, 05:45:13 pm »

The last working USB port on my laptop has finally broken. I wouldn't mind having to use my touchpad if that fucking tap-to-click shit wasn't on permanently.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14035 on: August 17, 2012, 07:51:38 pm »

Can't rig the "switchblade" sweep-change on the X-02 "Wyvern" to work with X-plane's built-in sweep-change due to the program not allowing sweep angles of more than 90 or less than -90 degrees.

I'm thinking that using the X-02 as my first craft to learn may have been a bad idea.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:54:25 pm by Putnam »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14036 on: August 17, 2012, 08:19:41 pm »

The last working USB port on my laptop has finally broken. I wouldn't mind having to use my touchpad if that fucking tap-to-click shit wasn't on permanently.
Do you have an eSATAp port? Those also count as USB as far as mice are concerned.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14037 on: August 17, 2012, 09:06:02 pm »

Strangely, the front USB ports on all desktops I own/my family owns always break after a short while.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14038 on: August 17, 2012, 09:07:41 pm »

Strangely, the front USB ports on all desktops I own/my family owns always break after a short while.
Let me guess, wireless adapters?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14039 on: August 17, 2012, 09:11:45 pm »

Wireless adapters seem to break before the usb ports do here. Though only one computer was really using them and its 7 years old and unused at this point.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 3345