Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3709675 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: The Unbinding Of Akura!
« Reply #13785 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:38 pm »

One could not have possibly made a more impossible to deal with steaming pile of fetid GUI generating code.
Pfft, you haven't seen my old GUI code. It read in from an XML-like text file, where a typo in most places would cause the program to crash. Each GUI element was encapsulated, encased in lead, then buried in cement; with hacky backdoors to access functionality I forgot I needed back when I originally created it, encapsulated it, encased it in lead, and buried it in cement. Also, it put the elements in containers which were similarly encapsulated, encased in lead, and buried in cement. The containers had the elements in a list, accessible by an id value; to access an element, you gave it the GUI element's id value and any other necessary information, and it would run the function to do what you wanted. Problem was, these id values were automatically assigned based on where in the XML-like text file the GUI elements were placed; the only way to figure out the id was to manually count how many elements came before it in the file.

It's true. Just ask any programmer. Most programs run on Black Magic, rather than anything logical.
Indeed it is. We sacrifice time, get code 'done,' then come back the next day, having forgotten all the details of what we had done during the sacrificed time of the previous day. We then either continue doing what we think needs doing (which typically involves re-making something we already implemented, usually in an inferior manner), or look at the code we wrote the day before. The latter results in 1 of 2 possibilities: A. Wondering how the hell it's all working like it should. B. Wondering what the hell we were thinking when we wrote this code which obviously won't work and does absolutely nothing which could possibly be construed as, or tied into, anything useful.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13786 on: August 03, 2012, 03:17:24 am »

Winter=windburn on face. :(
To add, well, injury to injury, my shaving razor scraped off several flakes of dried-up skin. Ouchie.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13787 on: August 03, 2012, 03:49:00 am »

My cat deposited fleas in my bed. again.
Flea collar + cat not allowed upstairs. He doesnt lay in my bed anyway, he sits near the window and watches outside.
And he's damn right, the window in my room is the perfect window for spying on the neighbors :P
He actually never really tries to go upstairs as soon as somebody opens the door to the stairs. He just waits, and if the door is not closed, he goes trough it anyway.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13788 on: August 03, 2012, 11:17:32 am »

New information: I now do office work for Suffolk Community College, starting Monday. This is good, as my new employers are most certainly not total assbags. Unfortunately, I have to catch an earlier bus to get there, and now I have Fridays off instead of Tuesday. I liked having Tuesdays off, it broke up the stress of the week, but I'm not really complaining.

I've also been told that SCC has great computer course and that I most likely qualify for financial aid, and the Department of Labor almost had me convinced to try taking civil service exams. I'm pissed that the Department of Labor passively dismissed my claim of discrimination, though.

More bad news. My stepdad is afraid he can't buy a house, so he's planning on spending the money he's saved up to buy one on buying a trailer. Not even a trailer, a goddamned camper.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13789 on: August 03, 2012, 02:39:01 pm »

...a goddamned camper.
He's not planning on becoming a sniper, is he?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13790 on: August 03, 2012, 02:39:50 pm »

...a goddamned camper.
He's not planning on becoming a sniper, is he?
Well as long as he has a plan for everything...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13791 on: August 03, 2012, 03:15:42 pm »

This game gets hellish pretty damn quickly. Not gonna give up though.

EDIT: NO, screw you, not giving up.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:21:41 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13792 on: August 03, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »

Got to level 34 (first one with invisible blocks) before my computer began lagging so bad I had to quit :(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13793 on: August 03, 2012, 03:55:48 pm »

I got to like level 22 or something.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13794 on: August 03, 2012, 04:03:15 pm »

Appropriate music.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13795 on: August 03, 2012, 04:05:53 pm »

Got to level... 27, I think? I've been playing way too much IWBTG for that to get to me that hard :P

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13796 on: August 03, 2012, 06:16:57 pm »

Discovering about the Steam legal updates, I find it rather annoying that they timed this change to happen not long after their summer sale.

Seems like a bit of a dick move to those who disagree, or want to, at least.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13797 on: August 03, 2012, 06:58:03 pm »

Discovering about the Steam legal updates, I find it rather annoying that they timed this change to happen not long after their summer sale.

Seems like a bit of a dick move to those who disagree, or want to, at least.
I don't think it really matters if they put it after their summer sale, because whenever they put it, people would have done the same thing A) not noticed at all B) Noticed and be rather pissed, but not actually do anything about it and still play they games they owned on steam. I suppose some people might do C) Stop using steam over this, but I think they are extremely rare.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #13798 on: August 03, 2012, 07:10:19 pm »

EULAs aren't legally binding, nor can they prevent you from suing them with a EULA when you otherwise have valid reason to sue. That's what legal precedence says anyway IIRC.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13799 on: August 03, 2012, 07:27:17 pm »

My town is heading for another week of +36 degrees Celsius.
I've escaped the previous wave of extreme temperatures in July by traveling into the countryside. This time, I have no way of escaping it.

(fun fact: it's the third year in the row with such hot summers)
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 3345