Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3708435 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: VROOM VROOM! Edition
« Reply #13125 on: July 07, 2012, 12:16:00 am »

Hey, I didn't say it was practical right now :P

And those cars were all autonomous. A real system would allow cars to "talk" to either other, if not outright being controlled remotely, which would make it a billion times easier than the conditions of that test.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13126 on: July 07, 2012, 12:21:25 am »

Hey, I didn't say it was practical right now :P

And those cars were all autonomous. A real system would allow cars to "talk" to either other, if not outright being controlled remotely, which would make it a billion times easier than the conditions of that test.
...HOW?!

What would be better: an onboard system that can analyze it's own surroundings, or a remote system that must rely on transmitted data to make decisions before transmitting orders back to multiple vehicles, keeping in mind how transmissions can become distorted or blocked?

An onboard auto-pilot I could possibly accept. An off-site manager that I could lose contact with whenever I enter a tunnel would be incredibly dangerous.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13127 on: July 07, 2012, 12:26:18 am »

There would be different layers of control.

At the lowest level, it'd be like that test: Each car acts independently.
Above that, would be groups of cars working together. They would communicate to allow for passing/etc.
Above that, would be very large groups of cars working together (such as entire highways), so that cars know when to slow down if there's an obstruction up ahead, and stuff like that.

No system is going to have 1 and only 1 computer controlling navigation. It'd be a sort of mix of hive mind with cars that can also act independently if needed.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13128 on: July 07, 2012, 12:31:58 am »

Eh, I still disagree. Partly because I'm not sure that such a system will come into being any time soon (due to the aforementioned poor performance of automated cars as opposed to what any teenager can do), but mostly because I really love driving :P

Some people in this thread have said they hate driving, or never drive unless they need to. I simply don't get those people. I would drive cars around for a living, if I could.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13129 on: July 07, 2012, 12:35:28 am »

It's not like driving would disappear forever. Things that were once necessity are sport; I totally get that. But with enough demand, there would be a place to indulge in that sport :) In places you can't hunt anymore, you can still go target or bow shooting. I presume there would be places you can go drag racing or whatever in the Future.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13130 on: July 07, 2012, 12:41:57 am »

Nah, I don't care about drag racing or whatever. I just love what could be termed "Sunday driving": going down the streets/highway with the music playing and the window rolled down. Delivering pizza or other food is something I could totally get behind.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13131 on: July 07, 2012, 12:44:25 am »

Majority of people want to close down drag strips and racing venues anyway. Also Rage.
Magma is overrated.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13132 on: July 07, 2012, 03:08:48 am »

Wait, wait, re: robot cars. Didn't google or something already manage to get an autonomous car cross country (in the US)? Could have sworn I heard about that a bit back. E: Checked up. Was apparently 140k or so combined driving miles between multiple vehicles with only a single accident -- in which one of them got rear-ended at a stop light, by a human controlled vehicle -- at the time the article in question was written.

Doesn't really mean much, per se, regarding full automation (of all traffic, not just a single vehicle), but it's something.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:12:39 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13133 on: July 07, 2012, 03:18:23 am »

Ugh, my internet decided that now would be a great moment to act terribly weird.
I can load B12 forums, but i cant log into minecraft and KAG forums are terribly slow too.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13134 on: July 07, 2012, 08:19:25 am »

Arrgh, I want to go for my evening run around the block and it is raining?! WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT DOING THAT, WEATHER GODS?
 DID YOU FORGET ALREADY?!!
...please don't kill me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13135 on: July 07, 2012, 08:22:55 am »

But but... rain is awesome! My most enjoyable jogs have been in the rain. The smell, the humid air, everything washed clean and fresh...

Living in a semi arid climate where it's sunny 90% of the time with 0 humidity is so boring.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13136 on: July 07, 2012, 08:25:15 am »

Are you kidding? There is nothing worse than humid warmness. It's the worst. Literally and figuratively.
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13137 on: July 07, 2012, 08:26:43 am »

I think it's more the case of hating the climate where you grew up. I spent 2 weeks in florida a few years back, rained every day, 80-90 degree temperatures... it was heaven.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13138 on: July 07, 2012, 08:27:52 am »

At a guess, you were there for pleasure, not work.

Try doing a week of physical work (not nessecarily physical labour, but some kind of work) in a climate before you decide if you like it. (if you have, disregard this)
Magma is overrated.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #13139 on: July 07, 2012, 08:28:44 am »

Who said anything anout warm? Rain is best!
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 3345