Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3708494 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: VROOM VROOM! Edition
« Reply #13110 on: July 06, 2012, 11:27:03 pm »

I just think it's a more constant distraction compared to other glances away from the road ahead of you that are only done when necessary.  I check blind spots or side mirrors when I'm changing lanes (and I typically slow down a bit and try to select a safe moment).  Rear view mirror doesn't even take your eyes completely off the road.  I check (and possibly adjust, which takes even more attention) my speed every few seconds...
Sounds like you need to do three things:

1: Adjust your seat and possibly your steering wheel so you can check your speed more easily. You should be able to do it by glancing downward slightly with your eyes only, sorta like the opposite you do when checking the rearview.

2: Master proper pedal control. I spent two years driving basically for a living, and I can easily maintain constant speeds and adjust without checking very often.

3: Pay attention to your engine's sound. Get up to say 65 or so on a flat stretch of highway, and listen to how it sounds. Adjust to other speeds, slower and faster. Before long, you'll be able to have a rough estimate of your speed based purely on how your engine sounds (easier with an older/louder engine. Modern ones tend to be really quiet).

I'm not sure we can convince each other that we're right, but as long as neither of us gets into an accident or something, who cares? :)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13111 on: July 06, 2012, 11:30:41 pm »

I just think it's a more constant distraction compared to other glances away from the road ahead of you that are only done when necessary.  I check blind spots or side mirrors when I'm changing lanes (and I typically slow down a bit and try to select a safe moment).  Rear view mirror doesn't even take your eyes completely off the road.  I check (and possibly adjust, which takes even more attention) my speed every few seconds...

1: Adjust your seat and possibly your steering wheel so you can check your speed more easily. You should be able to do it by glancing downward slightly with your eyes only, sorta like the opposite you do when checking the rearview.

2: Master proper pedal control. I spent two years driving basically for a living, and I can easily maintain constant speeds and adjust without checking very often.

3: Pay attention to your engine's sound. Get up to say 65 or so on a flat stretch of highway, and listen to how it sounds. Adjust to other speeds, slower and faster. Before long, you'll be able to have a rough estimate of your speed based purely on how your engine sounds (easier with an older/louder engine. Modern ones tend to be really quiet).

I'm not sure we can convince each other that we're right, but as long as neither of us gets into an accident or something, who cares? :)

All great advice, but that last little bit was PERFECT. :D Differences are diversity. Diversity is strength.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13112 on: July 06, 2012, 11:44:00 pm »

Get a "holographic" Hud. Then you can do both, no excuses :P

GPS is actually kind of nice for being somewhat close to this, if you have one that displays your current speed.  I don't know if that's a common feature.

I very rarely drive a car anymore.  I'm usually on a motorcycle.  That kills #1.

I also recently got a new motorcycle and the speed limit for most of my commute falls right into a rough spot where neither third or fourth gear likes to settle there.  It's also a much speedier bike in general.  Accelerating is deceptively effortless compared to my old one, and it took about three weeks for me to learn not to constantly creep up in speed and slow down again over and over.  My old bike was 26 years old and working right up to the top gear and settling there put me right where I needed to be.  Now it takes a lot more concentration.

Listening to the engine... depends on how picky you want to be.  On an open interstate, yeah it really is that easy.  Through town on roads where the speed limit is about 20 miles slower than it really needs to be, I want to squeeze as much out of it as I safely can.  Exactly 4 miles over :P

But yeah, it isn't that big of a deal.  I'm only checking my speed every few seconds if there is no traffic limiting my speed and nothing else requiring my attention.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:46:45 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13113 on: July 06, 2012, 11:48:08 pm »

GPS is actually kind of nice for being somewhat close to this, if you have one that displays your current speed.  I don't know if that's a common feature.
I've had two GPS devices (needed for the aforementioned work, first one was stolen). Both were made by Garmin, both had that feature. Might be something to look into.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13114 on: July 06, 2012, 11:57:03 pm »

Interestingly the autobahn actually has posted lower speed limits that are different per lane. Center lane minimum is 80kmph, if I remember.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13115 on: July 06, 2012, 11:58:00 pm »

I do hope we get computer controlled cars soon. And they become mandatory for public roads. That will solve all of this silliness.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13116 on: July 06, 2012, 11:59:52 pm »

Have you ever encountered a computer bug? Or a GPS device that said turn left on a cliff? Or had your computer crash for no reason?
There might be a reason we don't have computer controlled cars. Personal trains would be a bit safer, IMO. Like that movie, Minority Report.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13117 on: July 07, 2012, 12:03:25 am »

Considering the number of decisions per minute my computer makes, compared to the number I do, and seeing who makes the most mistakes the most often...

I'm more confident in the computer.

Computers do mess up occasionally... but so do mechanical devices. Yet you still drive your car, even though the tire can blow out or whatever.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13118 on: July 07, 2012, 12:05:07 am »

Let's meet in the middle, tracked compucars that have a Emergency manual override. Deal or no deal?
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13119 on: July 07, 2012, 12:05:27 am »

Sounds good.

You'd need a manual override for obscure roads or off road conditions, anyway.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13120 on: July 07, 2012, 12:05:45 am »

Cool, let's notify the world.
He's fucking with us.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13121 on: July 07, 2012, 12:07:02 am »

You also need a manual override for when you're being chased by robot trucks through tunnels.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13122 on: July 07, 2012, 12:10:22 am »

Considering the number of decisions per minute my computer makes, compared to the number I do, and seeing who makes the most mistakes the most often...

I'm more confident in the computer.

Computers do mess up occasionally... but so do mechanical devices. Yet you still drive your car, even though the tire can blow out or whatever.
Ok, have you heard of the DARPA Grand Prix? Designing a fully automated system to drive cars? The most recent one (2007) had about a 50% completion rate. 50% of motorized vehicles failing in some way is unacceptable, especially if they contain passengers. I question how effective manual overrides will be in potentially life-or-death split-second situations.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13123 on: July 07, 2012, 12:11:07 am »

Have you ever encountered a computer bug? Or a GPS device that said turn left on a cliff? Or had your computer crash for no reason?

I've probably mentioned it on here before, but....

My favorite GPS story -- I had a friend whose GPS once told him to make a U turn.  He made the U turn.  It then immediately told him to make another U turn.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13124 on: July 07, 2012, 12:12:40 am »

Oh, forgot to mention: that DARPA Grand Challenge (not Prix, my bad)? On average, the 50% of the vehicles that completed the challenge were moving around 14 mph. No thanks robots, I'll take over from here.

Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 3345