Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 862 863 [864] 865 866 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3708551 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: SalmonBot Edition
« Reply #12945 on: July 03, 2012, 01:30:38 pm »

Gas leak in my bepartment buildings gas main leads to it being cut off. Minor inconvenience seeing as it is used for catering, heating and hot water. Gas engineers show up and begin to investgate the problem, which baffles tham. The gas pressure is near zero, but there is no obvious leak. They shut the supply down one stage at a time back towards the supply, looking to isolate the problem, and find where the leak is. Excavation begins, and we are told this might take some time as diging will have to go very slowly in order to avoid hitting the trunk internet cable which was laid in the same trench as the utility supplies. Unsuprisingly they didnt go slow enough, as some klutz in a digger decides to tear through said cable bundle, killing the internet for the forseeable short term future. Highly annoying when pretty much all my work is now "in the cloud". Apparently it could have been worse - the mains electicity cable was in the same trench.
This is a blank sig.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #12946 on: July 03, 2012, 02:33:45 pm »

Putting main electrical cable in the same trench as the gas main? Was the sewage line also in the same trench? Isn't that in civil engineering 103 - how to not make shit explode?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12947 on: July 03, 2012, 02:39:45 pm »

And that is one of the best examples why I hate the pushing of 'cloud computing' as much as I do. Its a nice idea, but after you've dealt with losing internet for no fault of your own more than twice, you start keeping things local if at all possible to save on problems.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12948 on: July 03, 2012, 02:52:20 pm »

Putting main electrical cable in the same trench as the gas main? Was the sewage line also in the same trench? Isn't that in civil engineering 103 - how to not make shit explode?
If all three of those lines breached simultaneously, that would be a literal scenario. Besides, that's how I build my SimCities... :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12949 on: July 04, 2012, 12:24:21 am »

I step outside to go to work, it starts pouring rain.

I reach work, it stops.

I'm on a motorbike.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12950 on: July 04, 2012, 12:43:50 am »

I reach work, it stops.

I'm on a motorbike.

That is divine cruelty.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12951 on: July 04, 2012, 01:02:05 am »

I reach work, it stops.

I'm on a motorbike.

That is divine cruelty.

Riding in the rain is fun, provided you have proper gear.

It's one of my favorite things... to reach my destination after riding in pouring rain.  As I stand up, I leave a large puddle on the ground from all the water that had pooled in wrinkles and such on my clothing.  Not a drop of water is touching my skin.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12952 on: July 04, 2012, 12:21:51 pm »

My parents decided they'd rather haul my old crappy bed to my apartment than get me a new one. I hate that bed.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12953 on: July 04, 2012, 01:26:51 pm »

I was just t-boned by a woman on her cellphone. She didn't see a stop sign, and plowed into me full bore.

Daughter and I are shaken up, but otherwise unhurt (I have some bruising on my ribs from smacking the driver's side door, but that doesn't really count.)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12954 on: July 04, 2012, 01:29:58 pm »

Quick, sue for pain and suffering! Truean, back me up here!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12955 on: July 04, 2012, 01:41:50 pm »

Holy crap. that's quite a dent. Any hope of easy repair? I can't imagine that's good for your insurance, even though it's entirely her fault.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12956 on: July 04, 2012, 01:44:42 pm »

If it's legally her fault, which it should be, MZ's insurance shouldn't even come into the picture.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12957 on: July 04, 2012, 01:47:19 pm »

Holy crap. that's quite a dent. Any hope of easy repair? I can't imagine that's good for your insurance, even though it's entirely her fault.
No, the car is done. The support beam between the doors is twisted, making the car unsafe for anything other than turning into a dirt track racecar or selling it for parts.

If it's legally her fault, which it should be, MZ's insurance shouldn't even come into the picture.
I live in a no fault state. I'll pay my deductable, and then my insurance will collect from her insurance, and I'll probably get my decuctable back.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12958 on: July 04, 2012, 01:47:59 pm »

If they were on a cell phone, which is easy to prove based on time of day and thier phone record, you could take them to the cleaners, and should do so as a punishment for them being so irresponsible.
This is a blank sig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12959 on: July 04, 2012, 01:49:50 pm »

The law might be different here in Washington, then. I recall my sister's insurance payment going up after she was rear-ended in the high school parking lot several times during a school year. That might be due to the 'always around other inexperienced drivers' thing, though.

At least the damage wasn't any worse to you two.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 862 863 [864] 865 866 ... 3345