Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689565 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: SalmonBot Edition
« Reply #12735 on: June 26, 2012, 01:17:34 pm »

I can't decide whether I want to see that in action or not.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12736 on: June 26, 2012, 01:19:08 pm »

Personally, I think there's some entertainment to be had in attempting to use them as a means of modulating smoke signals. By which I mean, watching somebody else try.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12737 on: June 26, 2012, 01:57:30 pm »

at least this isn't a Japanese anime, that'd make it far, FAR worse.
As opposed to a German anime?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12738 on: June 26, 2012, 01:59:48 pm »

Well I haven't seen a German anime that I didn't like.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12739 on: June 26, 2012, 02:19:48 pm »

Well I haven't seen a German anime that I didn't like.
But have you seen a German anime?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12740 on: June 26, 2012, 02:20:56 pm »

None that I know of.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12741 on: June 27, 2012, 02:41:33 am »

Have you considered that maybe there hasn't been so much fighting over here because we have a military that could completely curbstomp anyone if they try? There's also that issue of Pearl Harbor, where we tried to be neutral and they dragged us into it anyways. Then there's also 9-11, unless you are one of the truthers.

A woman sits down next to a man on a Stockholm park bench. Every so often, the man picks out a whistle and blows it. After a while, the woman ask him "Why are you blowing that whistle?"
"To scare away the tigers."
"How do you know it works?"
"Well, have you seen any tigers around?"

Correlation and causation et al. Sweden hadn't been in a war for over 200 years before we invaded Afghanistan with NATO, and it's not like we don't have desirable resources (iron and uranium for starters) or had an unimportant strategic position, and we were neutral for most of those years, with only a tangential relation with the US/NATO after WWII. And nobody invaded us either.

And besides, most of the governments over there are directly funding the terrorists anyways.

And the US is directly or indirectly funding many of those governments.

If I have to choose between their survival and ours, I think I know which one I'm going for.

There is no real reason you should live when they don't. Besides, that was never the choice anyway.

Perhaps leaving them to their own devices AGAIN was a mistake. It never worked. As soon as the occupying force pulls out, they just go back to doing what they were doing before, fucking with everyone else. The region is inherently unstable and dangerous, it seems.

edit: it's been like this for hundreds of years.

You never left them to their own devices. The US put Saddam Hussein in power. The US funded the proto-al Quaida organisation. The US overthrew the democratically elected Iranian government and installed the Shah. Every single problem the US, and the world, now faces in and from that region stems from American, and before that Brittish, interference in the region.

And going back further, the USA ad Britain built the entire Japanese War Machine, Japan was agrarian before about 1895, then by 1935 they had: aircraft carriers, battleships, fighter aircraft. Whom do you suppose sold them the technology, all that steel and oil needed to build that stuff? USA and Britain.

What you don't hear too much about is that the USA started backstabbing the Japanese (who were US proxies and industrial clients) in ~1940 because they were seen as too successful after signing an treaty to back up the French colonial government in Indochina:

"The American oil embargo caused a crisis in Japan. Reliant on the US for 80% of its oil..."

The USA didn't give a flying fig about the "Rape of nanking" or genocide (they hired all the Japanese torturers after the war, actually) or 100'000s of dead Chinese. They continued to back Imperial Japan through all the worst human rights abuses . What they did care about was rival political influence in the Pacific.

Plus, there is the fact that American soldiers were already killing Japanese troops before Pearl Harbour, which kind of disputes the "official" (read: for dummies) time-line of the "start of hostilities".

US support [for China] increased in mid-1941, with the clandestine formation of the 1st American Volunteer Group, better known as the "Flying Tigers." Equipped with US aircraft and American pilots the 1st AVG, under Colonel Claire Chennault, effectively defended the skies over China and Southeast Asia from late-1941 to mid-1942, downing 300 Japanese aircraft with a loss of only 12 of their own. In addition to military support, the US, Britain, and the Netherlands East Indies initiated oil and steel embargos against Japan in August 1941.

http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/worldwarii/a/wwiipaccauses_2.htm

Apparently the USA was so "incensed" about the "rape of nanking" (according to the revisionist history books) that they kept selling oil to Japan for 4 years after the event :P
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:58:19 am by Reelya »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12742 on: June 27, 2012, 12:03:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We have another thread for this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
MADNESS!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12743 on: June 28, 2012, 08:55:35 am »

I had to drive my mother back to the hospital because my father wouldn't. He said that he couldn't handle being up here again. Way to be a trooper, dad. >:(

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12744 on: June 28, 2012, 09:01:49 am »

I had to drive my mother back to the hospital because my father wouldn't. He said that he couldn't handle being up here again. Way to be a trooper, dad. >:(
Ugh...what's the hospital visits for?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12745 on: June 28, 2012, 09:07:56 am »

Post surgery pain.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12746 on: June 28, 2012, 09:15:11 am »

Dammit weather! Half a day of work in the sweltering heat and now you're making it rain?

It makes me wanna go pious so that I can learn Weather Control.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #12747 on: June 28, 2012, 10:52:35 am »

Dammit weather! Half a day of work in the sweltering heat and now you're making it rain?

At least it should cool off.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12748 on: June 28, 2012, 06:23:32 pm »

I'm going to be in Texas for the next couple of days, and while the forecast isn't quite as high as it is here, it's (supposedly) going to be raining most of the time. And I'm going to be in a suit for most of the time I'm there.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12749 on: June 28, 2012, 09:39:45 pm »

At least it should cool off.
Heeheeheehee.

Well, maybe. Depends on if it's the rain that hates you, and does nothing but change the temp from hot to swelteringly hot. It's like a humidifier, only fueled by a raging hatred of mankind and possessing an effective range measured in miles (or kilometers, depending on your country).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 3345