Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689667 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: SalmonBot Edition
« Reply #12720 on: June 25, 2012, 06:48:23 pm »

@josephus
Ah okay. That's where the disagreement lies; I don't think there's such a thing as "high" and "low" storytelling, so there is no "lowest common denominator" to me. These people just lack sophistication in their tastes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Lowest common denominator, defined with generosity, is simply the dudes that give the least of a crap regarding their entertainment. It's derogatory in most uses, but then so is 'elitist'. So while you can't dispute the factuality of there being a lowest common denominator, what you can do is dispute the notion that this is a bad thing - which you've done. Jerry Holkins of Penny Arcade and Reverend Robert Fulghum have the same thoughts regarding entertainment.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12721 on: June 25, 2012, 07:01:54 pm »

I don't think it shows conventional literary analysis or "conventional wisdom concerning quality" to be flawed in any way since neither of them predict that people won't buy terrible books.  It only shows them to be flawed if you regard popularity or money earnt as the sole measure of quality of a work (which contradicts what you're saying about fanfiction).
Terrible in your opinion. Would you really tell people who enjoyed Twilight that they really didn't enjoy it?
My measure of "quality" is 100% personal. What I think is genius can be trite to someone else, and that's perfectly fine. It's not that it's popular that gives it "quality," but rather that the individuals who did enjoy it can claim that it has "quality" and they would be perfectly justified in such a claim.
If a majority disapprove of a work or action then I can still enjoy or do it?  How far can I go in this manner before people will stop me?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12722 on: June 25, 2012, 07:05:06 pm »

If a majority disapprove of a work or action then I can still enjoy or do it?  How far can I go in this manner before people will stop me?

Depends. Is the work or action evil?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12723 on: June 25, 2012, 07:07:19 pm »

Can we not say enjoying Twlight (or any badly received work) is evil?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12724 on: June 25, 2012, 07:24:01 pm »

Terrible in your opinion. Would you really tell people who enjoyed Twilight that they really didn't enjoy it?
No.  Your definition of quality and literary analysis are both odd.  I would point to the reasons why Twilight fails to have literary merit (in itself, not as a thing to study and learn about current attitudes) and one could perhaps use analysis to explore the horribly sexist and backwards themes it has, or its lack of depth, or the flatness of the characters, or the numerous issues with the plot.  Neither of those have anything to do with enjoyment.

My measure of "quality" is 100% personal. What I think is genius can be trite to someone else, and that's perfectly fine. It's not that it's popular that gives it "quality," but rather that the individuals who did enjoy it can claim that it has "quality" and they would be perfectly justified in such a claim.
Maybe you should stop using "quality" to refer to a metric that's completely different to the concept of quality.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12725 on: June 25, 2012, 07:30:55 pm »

Wait, how is a measure of the effectiveness with which it accomplishes its purpose (to entertain) unrelated to the concept of quality?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12726 on: June 25, 2012, 07:33:49 pm »

I think quality in this case is pertaining more towards literary value than entertainment value, of which Twilight is devoid of the former and rich with the latter (no matter who you are; picking it apart is fun!)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12727 on: June 25, 2012, 07:34:33 pm »

Can we not say enjoying Twlight (or any badly received work) is evil?
It's evil like Harry Potter is evil.

Well, probably more evil due to the whole advocating horrible relationship practices thing, but still :P

I would point to the reasons why Twilight fails to have literary merit (in itself, not as a thing to study and learn about current attitudes) and one could perhaps use analysis to explore the horribly sexist and backwards themes it has, or its lack of depth, or the flatness of the characters, or the numerous issues with the plot.
If social commentary is all we care about with "literary merit," then an essay would be far superior than any story since it skips all the entertainment crap and gets straight to the point.

Maybe you should stop using "quality" to refer to a metric that's completely different to the concept of quality.
Give my odd metric a name and I'll use that instead. Value, perhaps?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12728 on: June 25, 2012, 07:48:07 pm »

Wait, how is a measure of the effectiveness with which it accomplishes its purpose (to entertain) unrelated to the concept of quality?
They're not unrelated.  "Entertaining" is definitely an important element of quality.  But that doesn't mean they're the same thing.

If social commentary is all we care about with "literary merit," then an essay would be far superior than any story since it skips all the entertainment crap and gets straight to the point.
That's why I mentioned flatness of characters (as in: they are not like real people, inconsistent, terrible clichés), poor plot and lack of depth as well.  In addition a horrible (as in, actively harmful) message should clearly be able to drag a book down.

Give my odd metric a name and I'll use that instead. Value, perhaps?
"Ability to be popular".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12729 on: June 25, 2012, 08:02:49 pm »

They're not unrelated.  "Entertaining" is definitely an important element of quality.  But that doesn't mean they're the same thing.
Misunderstanding, then. I got a different impression of your opinion from the last post, my bad. Though I would argue that "quality" really needs an additional qualifier in most circumstances. Twilight is evidently high-quality entertainment. Very few works are high-quality all across the board of possible measurements. I'd claim that many of the traditional examples, in fact, don't qualify because they aren't entertaining to the population in general.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12730 on: June 26, 2012, 11:02:32 am »

What the hell, Sucker Free City? You can't end like that. That isn't where the movie ends, that's where the third act begins. You can't just trick me to watch through 2 hours of decent-to-good movie and then not give me an ending. You've just made the whole rest of the film meaningless.

And the worst part is, now I can't get this so-so movie out of ky head, because there was no resolution! I'll just keep imagining how it could've ended, and how awesome it would've been. Damn it, I want my two hours back.
Love, scriver~

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12731 on: June 26, 2012, 11:26:18 am »

Ugh, its annoying to have to end the steam procces with task manager just because it fucked up starting somehow.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12732 on: June 26, 2012, 12:02:54 pm »

Oh jeez, this sexual harassment training video has now started emphasizing how men and women communicate differently. I get that there IS a major social influence on that, so that there definitely is a difference as a consequence of that conditioning, but it'd be pretty nice if a video that claims to promote respect and equality between the sexes didn't go on about how women are "subtle" and men are "direct" as if it were a trait dependent on one's genitalia.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12733 on: June 26, 2012, 12:15:07 pm »

Oh jeez, this sexual harassment training video has now started emphasizing how men and women communicate differently. I get that there IS a major social influence on that, so that there definitely is a difference as a consequence of that conditioning, but it'd be pretty nice if a video that claims to promote respect and equality between the sexes didn't go on about how women are "subtle" and men are "direct" as if it were a trait dependent on one's genitalia.
Straight to the point.
heh

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12734 on: June 26, 2012, 01:04:24 pm »

I don't know about anyone else, but when I need to communicate with people, I wave my genitalia at them like I'm using flag signals.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 3345