Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689809 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: SalmonBot Edition
« Reply #12615 on: June 23, 2012, 10:35:42 pm »

Yeah, Sal, that makes sense. That's one of those things you don't do in America. Pretty much every criticism of the military is prefaced with "Now, I have nothing against individual soldiers who are just doing their jobs and defending our country..."

I just get annoyed because the WBC doesn't do crap that's as bad as other hate groups. They don't lynch anyone. All they want to do is get attention, and everyone gives it to them. I'm certain other hate groups envy the voice the WBC has gotten from their infamy.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12616 on: June 23, 2012, 10:46:00 pm »

A great man once said, "Gentle people sleep well in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part." There is a reason Americans are so protective of individual soldiers. We know how very much we owe them.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12617 on: June 23, 2012, 10:52:41 pm »

Well it's become a weak spot that people are using to manipulate the public.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12618 on: June 23, 2012, 10:54:07 pm »

A great man once said, "Gentle people sleep well in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part." There is a reason Americans are so protective of individual soldiers. We know how very much we owe them.

Self-fulfilling prophecy.  "Rough men" believe they're doing what's necessary to protect their own from the big bad world in the course of following orders that they're trained not to question... and this is true for both sides of any conflict.  Strip away this notion (fueled by self-interested leaders) and everyone can sleep well in their beds at night...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12619 on: June 23, 2012, 10:56:13 pm »

Just saw Prometheus.  My face throughout the whole movie was either ??? or >:(.

The more I think about it, the less I can decide if it should stay ??? or >:(.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12620 on: June 24, 2012, 04:48:38 am »

What exactly do you owe them, though? There hasn't been a war on American soil for what, over a hundred years? So it sure can't be because the "rough men" protects them, unless your definition of "protection" is doing violence on gentle people during the night in other countries.
Love, scriver~

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12621 on: June 24, 2012, 05:09:21 am »

iTunes cleared it's library again.

>rage<

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12622 on: June 24, 2012, 07:00:07 am »

What exactly do you owe them, though? There hasn't been a war on American soil for what, over a hundred years? So it sure can't be because the "rough men" protects them, unless your definition of "protection" is doing violence on gentle people during the night in other countries.
Have you considered that maybe there hasn't been so much fighting over here because we have a military that could completely curbstomp anyone if they try? There's also that issue of Pearl Harbor, where we tried to be neutral and they dragged us into it anyways. Then there's also 9-11, unless you are one of the truthers.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12623 on: June 24, 2012, 07:39:41 am »

iTunes cleared it's library again.

>rage<
iTunes is just meh in general as a thing to use.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12624 on: June 24, 2012, 08:20:41 am »

Have you considered that maybe there hasn't been so much fighting over here because we have a military that could completely curbstomp anyone if they try? There's also that issue of Pearl Harbor, where we tried to be neutral and they dragged us into it anyways. Then there's also 9-11, unless you are one of the truthers.
Military? So it has nothing to do with the major ballistics fest all over the world :d
I mean literally everyone except maybe Australia (because Australia) has a guillotine hovering over it's face.
As for neutrality, it's no hidden fact just how much USA profited from weapons dealing.
I'd much rather have no "gentle men" laying idle in their daily lives whilst "rough men" kill civilians needlessly, for "their protection." :|

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12625 on: June 24, 2012, 08:40:26 am »

Military? So it has nothing to do with the major ballistics fest all over the world :d
I mean literally everyone except maybe Australia (because Australia) has a guillotine hovering over it's face.
As for neutrality, it's no hidden fact just how much USA profited from weapons dealing.
I'd much rather have no "gentle men" laying idle in their daily lives whilst "rough men" kill civilians needlessly, for "their protection." :|
"the world" whines when we don't get involved in these things, then bitches if we actually try to stabilize anything. We aren't Europe's attack bitch. And I suppose you'd want us to instead ignore the terrorists because they use the "civilians" as literal human shields? And besides, most of the governments over there are directly funding the terrorists anyways. The extremists may not be the majority (I hope), but they have a deathgrip on the region.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12626 on: June 24, 2012, 08:53:37 am »

"the world" whines when we don't get involved in these things, then bitches if we actually try to stabilize anything. We aren't Europe's attack bitch. And I suppose you'd want us to instead ignore the terrorists because they use the "civilians" as literal human shields? And besides, most of the governments over there are directly funding the terrorists anyways. The extremists may not be the majority (I hope), but they have a deathgrip on the region.
Again, this is justification for the killing of civilians. Even ordered killings of known civilians, even if it would result in the death of a suspected terrorist.
And you'd want to pursue a broken organisation with little resources even when the civilian body count numbers over the hundreds of thousands? The governments there are funding the terrorists? The ones the US government put in power?
War =/= Stabilizing

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12627 on: June 24, 2012, 08:58:11 am »

Again, this is justification for the killing of civilians. Even ordered killings of known civilians, even if it would result in the death of a suspected terrorist.
And you'd want to pursue a broken organisation with little resources even when the civilian body count numbers over the hundreds of thousands? The governments there are funding the terrorists? The ones the US government put in power?
War =/= Stabilizing
If I have to choose between their survival and ours, I think I know which one I'm going for.

Perhaps leaving them to their own devices AGAIN was a mistake. It never worked. As soon as the occupying force pulls out, they just go back to doing what they were doing before, fucking with everyone else. The region is inherently unstable and dangerous, it seems.

edit: it's been like this for hundreds of years.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:05:21 am by Lagslayer »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12628 on: June 24, 2012, 09:17:57 am »

A woman sits down next to a man on a Stockholm park bench. Every so often, the man picks out a whistle and blows it. After a while, the woman ask him "Why are you blowing that whistle?"
"To scare away the tigers."
"How do you know it works?"
"Well, have you seen any tigers around?"

Correlation and causation et al. Sweden hadn't been in a war for over 200 years before we invaded Afghanistan with NATO, and it's not like we don't have desirable resources (iron and uranium for starters) or had an unimportant strategic position, and we were neutral for most of those years, with only a tangential relation with the US/NATO after WWII. And nobody invaded us either.

And besides, most of the governments over there are directly funding the terrorists anyways.

And the US is directly or indirectly funding many of those governments.

If I have to choose between their survival and ours, I think I know which one I'm going for.

There is no real reason you should live when they don't. Besides, that was never the choice anyway.

Perhaps leaving them to their own devices AGAIN was a mistake. It never worked. As soon as the occupying force pulls out, they just go back to doing what they were doing before, fucking with everyone else. The region is inherently unstable and dangerous, it seems.

edit: it's been like this for hundreds of years.

You never left them to their own devices. The US put Saddam Hussein in power. The US funded the proto-al Quaida organisation. The US overthrew the democratically elected Iranian government and installed the Shah. Every single problem the US, and the world, now faces in and from that region stems from American, and before that Brittish, interference in the region.
Love, scriver~

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12629 on: June 24, 2012, 09:42:36 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_corsairs

Go forwards or backwards in time at your leisure, but read this first.

Granted, it's a bit of a clusterf***, but all of history is. You can't blame us any more than you can blame everyone else. As far as I'm concerned, this is a fight for survival. Good and evil be damned, the lines between them are too poorly defined at this scale.

This really needs it's own thread. Let the rage thread be about rage instead of debate.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:53:45 am by Lagslayer »
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 3345