Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703507 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

While we're on the subject, I want to know why parfumeries/cosmetic companies seem to think women should all smell like cloying amounts of flowers and baby powder, and men should smell like a ferret in heat. I mean, seriously..."musk". Having grown up in the country, when I hear the word musk I think: muskrat, musk ox, musk deer and musk turtle. NONE of these animals are things that I want to smell like.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

just found that (unless something changed) 0x10c will be monthly pay to be able to play it.

I'm out.
Oh, come ON!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Thats nearly as bad as "pay to win", which will probably happen next as people sell thier code/designs/whatever. I was so looking forward to it as well. Better go pick up DF again then I suppose.
This is a blank sig.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

While we're on the subject, I want to know why parfumeries/cosmetic companies seem to think women should all smell like cloying amounts of flowers and baby powder, and men should smell like a ferret in heat. I mean, seriously..."musk". Having grown up in the country, when I hear the word musk I think: muskrat, musk ox, musk deer and musk turtle. NONE of these animals are things that I want to smell like.
There's an old spice commercial in here somewhere.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

just found that (unless something changed) 0x10c will be monthly pay to be able to play it.

I'm out.
Oh, come ON!

Sorry, I got lol at this if it's true. That's got to be a real punch to the nuts for people who thought Notch walked on water.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thats nearly as bad as "pay to win", which will probably happen next as people sell thier code/designs/whatever. I was so looking forward to it as well. Better go pick up DF again then I suppose.

So... back to most Shareware, then? (pay-to-win games, essentially)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Er, no? Shareware rarely if ever gave you full access to the game. It was pay to play "the whole game."
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It usually gave you access to a good chunk of it though, you had to pay to finish it. In other words, to "win". :P

Is there something else you meant?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, you could "win" the demo levels of Doom. So no, I guess I really didn't mean something else different.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Look at the musk ox, look at me, look back at the musk ox, back at me. Unfortunately I am not the musk ox, but with the power of old spice, I can at least smell like the musk ox...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

It usually gave you access to a good chunk of it though, you had to pay to finish it. In other words, to "win". :P

Is there something else you meant?

Yea. Pay to win games are competitive games where you  can pay to have a dramatic advantage over the other players. You pay to win.

One example: World of Tanks. People who use "gold rounds" get High Explosive Armor Piercing shells that have all the advantages of HE shells combined with all the advantages of AP shells without the drawback of either and are dramatically more effective in battle than people who use the "free" ammo.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Look at the musk ox, look at me, look back at the musk ox, back at me. Unfortunately I am not the musk ox, but with the power of old spice, I can at least smell like the musk ox...
Old Spice: Smell like a man wearing a deer, dear man.

Along with the ads for Axe, the gist seems to be that women need to smell "pretty" and men need to smell like they've just had a 50-hour sex marathon. I mean, if you want that just have the marathon, dude.

More medical-related rage:
So after this morning's rage-inducing attempt to drop off lab samples, I made an appointment. Online. With a computer and everything. For 12pm. Showed up right at 12pm. The facility is staffed by ONE person, who is tied up drawing blood from a woman who appears to be 150 years old. I'm guessing the extra time involved was because they had to rehydrate the blood to get it out of what was left of her veins.

So 15 minutes after my appointment (and they were in 15-minute blocks, so technically we're into the next appointment range now), this one woman comes back and asks for my paperwork. I note that I made an appointment online, and as part of that process, I entered my personal info and insurance info online. Like the website told me that I could do to speed things up at the visit. She just stares at me for a second and proceeds to ask me all this information again. And begins entering it with a one-handed hunt-and-peck typing style on a rickety PC on a swivel mount. She is then flummoxed by the software and has no idea how to proceed. I'm studying the screen myself and figuring out the answers before she does, and I've never seen this software in my life nor do I have any background in laboratory testing.

Finally another tech comes in off her lunch break, the first woman asks her for help. She walks over, glances at the paperwork I brought, and then punches everything in in a matter of seconds on the touchscreen (the first woman apparently either had no idea she could touch the screen instead of having to awkwardly reach from the keyboard to the mouse each time...or even have to use the mouse and keyboard period. Perhaps she was merely frightened of this modern devilry, I don't know...).

As I stalked out, the waiting room was now packed with people waiting to even be noticed because this one person was incompetent enough to take 15 minutes to try and fail at something that a competent person did in about 10 seconds.

It dawned on me afterwards that the majority of inefficiency in the economy isn't inefficient procedures (which is where companies spend shitloads of money bringing in consultants to find a way to make a task take 5% less time), it's incompetent and/or poorly-trained workers. For fuck's sake, America! Hire people with more than half a brain, and then train them! WHY IS THIS SO HARD?  >:(
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:32:50 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

People who are good at their job at expensive. We need to cut costs, you know!

And if we train them, then they'll BE good at their jobs, and might be able to get another and we'll have to pay them more money... too risky, too much a waste of time. God, don't you have any clue how business WORKS!?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I smashed my foot into a door. One of these days I'm going to break one of my toes doing that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

I smashed my foot into a door.
Its worse when you smash a door into your foot.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 3345