Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703207 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Expecting to feel full on Tomato Soup and Crackers after a few hours is pretty unrealistic.

Like, I just had a Caeser Salad for lunch and I know I'm going to be hungry again in a couple hours.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/facebook-fallout-morgan-stanley-may-face-legal-liability-163903471.html

Once again, the financial industry, which swears it doesn't need regulation, screws the pooch. They don't know what they're doing and they're o-so-having-rose-colored-glasses about profit projections that they never stop to THINK about what they're doing. It screws the rest of us over.... Had client who bought Facebook stock. I told him it was overblown hype and not to. Did not listen and now wants to know if I can "do anything about it." Nopes, not really.

It's just amazing. If you or I screwed up half that bad at work, we'd be fired immediately. These guys? Na, they can get away with pretty much anything.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

So Facebook went and divebombed in the stock department, I presume?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretty much exactly as intended, yeah. The whole thing was very obviously a cash grab. At least I thought it was obvious - there was no other reason for Facebook to make the stock public.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

It's down 23.8% since it went IPO. It dropped 10% from it's initial price of 42 to 38, another 10% the next day from 38 to 34; today it's currently hovering around 32.
I have to agree with GlyphGryph on this one.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:42:38 pm by alway »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Everyone did. Everyone.... Morgan Stanley is gonna get sued as primary underwriter, so is the stock exchange Nasdaq. It's possible Facebook's executives screwed up too:

"As for Facebook, it would appear to have violated Reg FD. The 2000 law makes it illegal for publicly traded companies to selectively disclose material information, as Facebook executives (likely CFO David Ebersman) are alleged to have done.

That said, because Facebook was not yet a publicly traded company at the time, it's unclear whether Reg FD applies, Stoltmann adds."

There were disclosure laws that applied strictly for a reason: namely to prevent another great stock market crash. Restraints on the market be damned, they were necessary....

"O, it's just the market and supply and demand...." Those magic words don't work on me. Things have causes and effects and steps in the system that should be followed instead of hand waved away with crap.

One of the biggest, revolutionary, most pervasive marketing, gaming, chatting, information sharing, and god knows what else company has its stock decrease on its much publicized IPO...? Really...?

Pretty much exactly as intended, yeah. The whole thing was very obviously a cash grab. At least I thought it was obvious - there was no other reason for Facebook to make the stock public.

Basically. Combine that with certain members of its board and key stockholders renouncing their US Citizenship, largely for tax purposes and yes, I'd have to agree.... I'm sure it had absolutely nothing to do with you saving $67 Million in Federal Taxes which if it were up to me, you'd be dragged in chains to pay.... The timing of renouncing your American Citizenship just so happens to be right when this is happening? Nothing funny there...?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:51:21 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I love how Morgan Stanley is at the heart of this. Taking bets on whether their multi-billion dollar losses are tied to the FB offering. They're going to have like 3 Justice Department investigations going at once. The other banks serving as underwriters on this are also in the cross hairs but....

It's just such an incestuous relationship on Wall Street, I don't know how anyone, politician, banker or plebe can say the industry doesn't need regulation.

It's equally amazing that the Nasdaq had a mysterious 2-hour downtime that they're blaming on the high volume of trading. Really? You go from instant stock reports to a 3-hour delay on even confirming whether people purchased stock or not? That doesn't sound like a network error, that sounds like a stall tactic.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:48:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

It does sound like a staller's tactic. If your network goes down, unless your crap is all kinds of broken, if you can have it fixed in less time than that, it'll get done in less time than that. If it has an error that should be easier to fix, since its less likely that your stuff is all kinds of broke.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So instead of the sporicide that we were using to clean the biosafety hood (because that resulted in a tech going to the ER and OSHA getting called in), we've moved on to bleach. Functional, but the surfaces are stainless steel which apparently does not like bleach very much. The solution to the inevitable rusting is to wipe it down with water after the necessary contact time, but am I the only person that realizes that "slow down the corrosion" is not a viable long-term solution? We could always go back to alcohol, guys, that seemed to work fine.
They might be worried that alcohol won't kill bacterial spores... although as far as I know anthrax is the only one that is actually significantly dangerous to humans. Maybe they should try Lysol? My father swears by it for these situations, and I'm pretty sure it'd solve your anthrax problems without the corrosion.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know, the hunger comes from the surplus of sugars spiking your system and then leaving it empty, doesn't it - wouldn't more cereal simply exacerbate the problem?
This was cheerios. The soup was condensed tomato soup with half a can of water.
Cheerios are pretty much pure sugar, with a dash of fiber, and tomato soup is mostly water and sugar and salt, and most of its sugars break down faster than the cheerios do. If you want to stay fuller, longer, you need add some proteins or at least some fats in there.

Sugars get can fill you up for a bit if you eat enough of them, but they break down quickly.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:18:41 pm by GlyphGryph »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Porridge is a pretty good fill-your-stomach type of breakfast. If you find bare porridge unpalatable you can mix in a bit of jam or butter to help gulp it down. It should keep both you and your nutritionists happy.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would have had porridge but it seemed to be buried under a ton of instant ramen, so I just went for cereal instead.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

You could've eaten the instant ramen.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which is also almost completely sugar. :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Point.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 3345