Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699412 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

Game design. Every thing I add changes the very nature of the game, so I need to make adjustments to all of the rest of the game. And yet I keep trying to model things in a way that includes all the component properties of the thing when I just have a very basic system to work with. Which wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't decided to make the game based on player input, so there's stuff I have to revise while I have players waiting on me (I doubt/hope they aren't expecting a turn to be out really soon. I probably won't be ready for the first turn until Thursday, or late Wednesday at the earliest.)
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Games based on player input are dubious at best, from a programmer's standpoint (IMO). The players often don't realize just what is necessary to take their input and turn it into viable code and because of that ask for wild things that will either take much longer then sanity allows or are just impossible for the programmer to actually implement due to target systems' graphical capabilities or just the shear might of creating something innovative that the programmer is unable to do in a reasonable amount of time.

Right now, even without player input, I am dealing with issues that I never thought would come up in my current project. I am part of a small team of programmers and my part is rather specific in that I am dealing with the path-finding AI. I have to weigh good with just as good amongst many different path-finding algorithms to pick the "best" for this application, and also create more specific and refined versions of them to gauge if they would be the "best" in a specific portion of the application. One being a rather SimCity sort of thing where I have to path-find through a set of connected traffic pieces and pick the best route among them, but as a slight problem I have to make sure that the start-stop scheduling on each traffic piece does not lead to collisions among the travelers. It is like a 1-lane street trying to have cars running through it, but the cars have no way of slowing down or leaving the path in order to prevent a collision.

As long as you have a realistic goal that the players can expect, and attempt to incorporate new features, then the players shouldn't really expect anything more :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile

noobs already putting crap into the new level editor for portal 2, I didn't learn hammer for nothing -.-  and now half to bloody nooblings think that the level editor is the new sdk :/  It's a level tester, not a level maker. Test your maps there build them in hammer :/
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

You cannot annoy people into not doing things when the alternative is less spammy/annoying. People do not work that way.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/05/dvds-and-blu-rays-will-now-carry-two-unskippable-government-warnings/

Well, more incentive to just download movies to skip this crap.

Congratulations, more people have been alienated and your "Problem" just got worse because of your "Solution"!
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

"No we don't."
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile

EDIT: what is it about me that flies find irresistible? this one constantly flies at me, annoying the piss out of me.

Stop fapping on your keyboard so much?

(I am a bad person.)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

The IPR's logo actually makes them look evil.  For one thing the eagle looks like it wants to burst out of the screen and devour whoever dares to watch their legally purchased DVD.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

EDIT: what is it about me that flies find irresistible? this one constantly flies at me, annoying the piss out of me.

Stop fapping on your keyboard so much?

(I am a bad person.)

There are no bad people, only bad habits.

Hey-o!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The IPR's logo actually makes them look evil.  For one thing the eagle looks like it wants to burst out of the screen and devour whoever dares to watch their legally purchased DVD.

Yes, it's nice how the fed acts with alacrity to protect copyright holder's money and yet we can barely get a settlement out of the banks that robo-signed and foreclosed on homes they didn't even own.

'Merica, fuck yeah.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The new Dark Shadows movie.

I really enjoyed the series as a kid and teen on Sci-fi, and tried to catch it whenever I could. Sure, it was a soap opera for all intents and purposes but it was otherworldy and creepy, just like Twin Peaks. A show with a certain brand of weirdness that set it apart from most other things in its genre. And it was epic, spanning multiple generations, all with Barnabus there lurking in the background.

So I can't help but flip off my TV when I see previews for the movie coming out. A fucking awkward comedy? I like Johnny Depp, but I've had quite enough of his "zany characters." Coincidence that the original actor of Barnabus died just a week or two ago? I don't think so. I'd read a CNN article before seeing the previews where it said Depp and Johnathon Fridd met and he metaphorically passed the torch to Depp, saying he really captured all of Barnabus' qualities.

And then I saw the trailers. What a crock of shit. Dark Shadows was deadly serious, and the movie at first blush ranks right up there with Ben Stiller movies.

I just don't understand how someone could have looked at Dark Shadows and thought "Oh man, turning this into a comedy make so much sense." FUCK YOU HOLLYWOOD.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:09:12 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Maybe they're just advertising it as a comedy?

A dark sci fi show doesn't sound very marketable, so they might be playing up minor parts to appeal to a larger audience.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Maybe they're just advertising it as a comedy?
The preview was 3 minutes of non-stop jokes and puns. I don't think its just the advertising.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Also, from wikipedia:
The trailer for the film premiered exclusively on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on March 15, 2012. That same day, the trailer made its online debut on Apple.com. According to MTV, Tim Burton has opted "for gonzo comedy that should please many, but may rile fans of the original soap opera."
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 3345