Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698110 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Probably because it's newsworthy. People have killed other people over dogs pooping on their lawn, but that won't be something you'll ever read about.

Err, no, not in Sweden >_> Single assaults aren't important enough to be brought up by news here as anything but notices in the local pages. So it would be actual life experience I base that on, as anecdotal as it might be.
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Well I ain't saying it's common, and it's usually a "straw that broke the camel's back" sort of deal, but I'd be willing to bet there have been murders for trivial reasons, even in Sweden, relatively recently.

Original point still stands: a murder committed on the pretense of a controversial issue will get far, far more publicity than others. If you're basing your opinion on personal experience rather than what you've heard about from others, then yeah I can't say anything about that other than what you already did about it being anecdotal.

/shrug

Anywho, can't really say much more without more information on the incident in question, and I doubt Euld has keeping this forum informed as a high priority when he's got a friend in a coma :(
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am uncomfortable with this idea. Does privatizing the police force really bring the needed savings? Will those savings be attained without degrading the quality of services provided?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones

I am uncomfortable with this idea. Does privatizing the police force really bring the needed savings? Will those savings be attained without degrading the quality of services provided?

Potentially, yes. They already do things like privatize public school employees here in America. My mother, for instance, works for a school system through a private company. The savings are not in the wages, which are comparable to what she'd be getting from the government. The savings are because they slash all of the benefits - no health care, dental care, retirement, etc.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*snip* The savings are because they slash all of the benefits - no health care, dental care, retirement, etc.

Ah, should have added decent pay and benefits to my previous post. I understand that the economic climate is harsh these days and one has to save where they can, but I can't say that I value when the cuts are made at the expense of average and below average earners.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones

*snip* The savings are because they slash all of the benefits - no health care, dental care, retirement, etc.

Ah, should have added decent pay and benefits to my previous post. I understand that the economic climate is harsh these days and one has to save where they can, but I can't say that I value when the cuts are made at the expense of average and below average earners.

Agreed, but those are the only people that Washington is interested in throwing under the bus in the name of monetary savings. Both parties are too beholden to the upper crust to do anything serious about the deterioration of the economic ladder. And, considering our two presidential candidates this year, that's unlikely to change anytime in the near future.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Of course, there's somewhat larger problems than savings involved with making police and prison systems for profit. It's just... it's not something you want to have happen. You make your system such that it wants more criminals and incarcerated, not less. That's not good, for some painfully obvious reasons.

P.S. The US's prison system says Hi. Maybe Britain can see if they can throw a larger percentage of their population in prison than we have. It's not causing any problems at all! One of these post script sentences is a blatant lie.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Simple problem to solve England's football hooliganism problem:

Hire all the hooligans as police officers. Problem solved, no more hooligans! You're welcome.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Newb developers:

1: not consistently following camel case convention.

2: being inconsistent for the same file/report name.

3: being unaware the test/deployment servers do not run windows.

4: being unaware that windows is pretty much the only OS with case INsensitive file paths.

Testers:
1: "We got a 500 error, trollol" is insufficient information to ever fix anything.

2: there is a reason the error page you see has a stacktrace on it.

3: Why are you not on IM?

4: the proper response to "what time did this happen?" is not: "I did it again, its still happening".

5: can you possibly give me enough information to get logs of your issue from the helpdesk?

6: "Chantilly" is not the url of your test server.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Dude...I wanna be a tester where you work. Cause it sounds like I could smoke the competition.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

being unaware that windows is pretty much the only OS with case INsensitive file paths.

Go easy on that one, it's an easy assumption to make.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Right, so, tech issue.

Today my 1600x900 screen decided to start turning itself off.  Or rather, a couple of seconds after switching the screen on it seems to lose the backlight (you can still kindof see the page if you shine a torch at it and squint hard but it's not really workable).  It's kindof odd - the backlight must still be working since turning it off and on (briefly) restores it, although I guess some circuitboard somewhere could've come loose.  Anyone ever had something like this?  Coincidentally the first occurance of this was straight after putting in the Konami Code for GG's link in the Happy Thread earlier, although that's probably just a coincidence.
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 3345