Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699158 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Yeah, but he didn't tell us that beforehand. He said he'd rather have someone rent the whole house, but he acted fine when we didn't want to. Basically all the landlords I've dealt with have been quick to say "Yeah you have this house!" when we don't have the house yet. Just say something if it's not definite, don't lead us on.

We really don't want to rush into signing a lease super quickly before we've had a chance of reading it, but apparently that's the only way to be secure since nobody wants to mention they're still looking for better alternative renters/owners.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Eh, it's perfectly reasonable for them, even if it sucks for you. They're looking for as many options as possible, and a bunch of (presumably) uni-aged students looking to rent out half of the property just isn't that good for them, because they have to worry about finding someone who wants the other half and doesn't mind you, about possible damage (because you're college-aged kids), about complaints from neighbors (see above), and a person looking to rent the whole unit is just better all around for them.

Not to imply that you and your friends are the sort of people who would leave the place an absolute mess and get weekly visits from the cops about noise complaints, but there are more than enough of those types for renters to go with other options than "a bunch of uni students" if they have them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

So me and my friends lost another house we were going to rent. The owner was renting out the upper and lower floor separately, but we only wanted half so we filled out all the forms and gave him the deposit. And then on the day we were supposed to sign the lease he goes "Oh, someone else wanted to rent the whole house together and that's easier to deal with. Here's your money back."

I hate landlords.

If you signed a lease, which you should have done in the first place if you game them a deposit, then he can't do that. If you guys didn't, then you invited yourselves to be screwed over.

Remember, RECEIPTS, LEASE, COPIES. Always leave a paper trail.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It's also worth mentioning, you're in the demographic that usually gets exploited by landlords and property owners. You're young, broke and desperate. Just remember that when you're out shopping for houses, is that you're going to get a lot less consideration than just about any one else trying to rent.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Get an option!

You probably would have to pay for it though >.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

+1

You DO have legal recourse, but its generally too much of a hassle. As I mentioned before, ALWAYS leave a paper trail to ensure you don't easily fall into these traps. You're lucky you even got your deposit back, I once had to call the police to get my deposit back from a shady landlord who tried to bullshit me and then locked themselves in their house and refused to answer the bell or phone once I showed them the photos I took beforehand of multiple defects and mold spots I could use in court to prove I had full right to not only reject the apartment and get my deposit back, but also have their apartments condemned for unsafe living conditions.

I remember last time some douchebag landlord tried to screw me over, thinking I'm just some idiot 20 year old. Thankfully I've got multiple insurance licenses, a background in law and psychology, and a family of businessmen. :P I might be broke, but I'm not taking a landlord's bs laying down.

Honestly though, its not even worth it. Next time around though, make sure a deposit is exchanged for a lease, aka contract and consideration. Without payment the contract is void, and without a contract, you're VERY likely to have the landlord turn around and say "What deposit? You never gave me a deposit." and get away with it.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Hehe >_< Options are for houses you really really want to take, and hope no-one takes it before you~

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

If you signed a lease, which you should have done in the first place if you game them a deposit, then he can't do that. If you guys didn't, then you invited yourselves to be screwed over.

But the lease is a legal agreement we might not want to sign until we read it! I really wish there was some other document we could use.

And to everyone else, I have no clue what any of the laws are. Every time I've complained in this thread, I've been told there's pretty much nothing I can do, so I'm assuming they're not too much in my favor. I guess the protections for me really only count if I sign a lease first but, again, there are things that could be in the lease I don't want to deal with.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Like Ehndras and I said above, you could probably take an option, but you'll have to pay for it, and probably also is a more complicated thing.

The option basically means, the owner promises not to lease out the house to another person for a set period of time in exchange for some money. You don't have to take the lease after that time, either. You can just say, "Nope, I found something better, so bye bye!" and he can't do anything about it.

It's most probably complicated, and also costs money for you, and the landlord may not take it, and also options might not be in your best interest, so consult your lawyer before trying~
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:03:38 pm by Skyrunner »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

But the lease is a legal agreement we might not want to sign until we read it! I really wish there was some other document we could use.

And to everyone else, I have no clue what any of the laws are. Every time I've complained in this thread, I've been told there's pretty much nothing I can do, so I'm assuming they're not too much in my favor. I guess the protections for me really only count if I sign a lease first but, again, there are things that could be in the lease I don't want to deal with.

Erm, forgive me if I'm thinking like a businessman, but WHY would you pay a deposit then? I'd never actually hand over money without having FIRST discussed the terms of the lease to make sure I'd actually be fine with living there.

You'll be stuck with the lease regardless if you get the apartment, and before discussing the terms of the lease, aka the contract, aka the agreement between leasor and leasee, aka what gives you the right to live there, you're pretty much paying for food without looking in the bag and then expecting the cook not to give you roach-infested bread.

>_>

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

And aye, like he said, the recourses are a major pain the the arsch. Not to mention, would you really want to live there with a landlord who will now make it their mission in life to ruin your every waking moment?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Sorry, but this kind of sounds like a case of "shit, or get off the pot." Either you're prepared to read a lease agreement and make decision, or you're not. If a lease isn't to your liking, or you don't understand it, don't sign it. But don't go half in, half out and sign a lease you didn't read or put down money on something you haven't legally agreed to. Because then you're just screwing yourself, or making it that much easier for someone to screw you.

Like I said, landlords live for this shit, especially the "didn't read the lease because I don't want to deal with it" part. You're desperate for housing, and it's coming through loud and clear in this thread....so how do you think it's coming across to prospective landlords?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:21:52 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

The same way it comes out to my business rivals.

"Oh look, someone's desperate! Let's bleed the poor fucker dry!"

If I didn't hate Law so much, I'd become a Lawyer just to help folks get out of these damn situations.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Then we'd have at least two lawyers here if you did that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

Then we'd have at least two lawyers here if you did that.

Dwarf ALL the Lawyers!

Nah... I'll stick to Business and Psychology. I get enough Law bullshit as it is. I wouldn't want to do it for a living, no way in Hades.
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 3345