Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699468 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Bonus points when that happens for an online networking/IT class. Mega bonus points.
Do you get more or less bonus points for it being an ISP problem instead of anything to do with the class?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Ah, definitely less. Implied was that it was something the people running the course did that caused it.

No point deduction if said people have notable influence over the IP, though, and could have prevented it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Online classes are great for stuff you already mostly know and can breeze through.

Do not ever take them for something you don't know. Ugh.
im screwed both ways as i need a teacher to pay attention and a computer to do work :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Man, have I mentioned the new cleaning protocol for the biosafety hoods at work? Basically, we need a sterile environment in which to prepare injected medications, because apparently people don't like dying from infections having a good time in their blood stream. Yeah, who'd have guessed, right? Anyway, so that's pretty sensible and I'm on board with it.

The old cleaning protocol made sense, too; go over the entire interior surface with a prepared wipe (who the hell knows what the chemical mix they use was, since it was 98% "other ingredients" and the remaining 2% were each about 2 lines long) that clears the surface and probably kills most things on it (given that it was covered in warnings saying "Do not touch with skin") and then go over the whole thing a second time with alcohol to sterilize it and clear up any reside left by the previous step. So that's fine, takes maybe 5 minutes to do at the beginning of your shift.

The new version has us spray the entire interior down with a chemical so corrosive that we have to wear a face shield (in case of splashes) and goggles (to keep the fumes out of our eyes) while we're doing it. This chemical then needs to sit for 10 minutes, during which the best thing you can do is just leave so you don't have to keep breathing it. Leaving aside, for the moment, my misgivings about the effectiveness of the paper masks we wear to keep our breath from contaminating anything as protection for our lungs from whatever this is, the major problem is that this makes the entire hood unavailable for at least 15, probably 20 minutes (because there are other steps, too, and god help you if it's the 1st or the 15th, you get to spray it down with an additional fungicide). That means that if somebody needs something made fast during that time, they get to go fuck themselves, because the one thing worse than getting an infection from one of our drugs would be getting some of the chemicals we use to prevent infections.

And what's more, this isn't solving a problem that existed. As far as every pharmacist I've talked to knows, infections from a contaminated pharmacy drug around here are so rare that they basically don't happen. This is, as far as I can tell, a supervisor's way of justifying their paycheck by "updating" policy, and spending absurd amounts of money doing it (because this shit isn't cheap, you know).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*grumble* Stupid co-workers who can't handle basic instructions *grumble*...

Also, I gotta stop lending my box-cutter out at work. I put a fresh blade in it just the other day. I let this one guy(who also has some kind of problem with everything I do) use it, and I get it back, the blade is significantly duller, and I'm pretty sure the very tip of it was chipped off. The only reason I even bring it to work is that every knife in the place completely sucks for any purpose.

And there's this one guy, a total glutton. I swear, whenever he sights food, he starts making this snrrk sound whenever he inhales and exhales. He had worked here previously, and the first day back, he started to help himself to whatever he could grab. One day, I was bagging rolls and bagels, and he comes over, stuffs all the bagels into one bag, walks off, then makes himself some fried chicken. And when he does do things like bagging or boxing loose items, he usually tosses the refuse on the ground, despite a trash can a convenient 5 feet away.

And the other day, my stepdad was commenting about how so much food we waste simply because nobody eats it, and since no one else was in earshot, he might have been implying that it was my fault. And then he ordered himself some Chinese take-out.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I tried out Lord of the Rings Online. Due to the ridiculously high turning speed, which caused me to stagger around like a drunk, and the fact that there was no option anywhere to adjust said turning speed, making the game basically unplayable (or, at least, so unenjoyable that I don't have any desire to play it).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

In the 81th anniversary of the Republic, with my whole country indebted to the ears, the head of the royal family-and-famous-prostibule-patron breaks his hip hunting elephants in Bostwana, 45000€ for each kill. In the meanwhile, one of his daughters embezzles money along with his husband, using a fake NGO they created as a cover. Another one sends his infant son along in illegal hunting trips (and he promptly shoots off his foot). The heir presumptive has done nothing today, but he's known to go amok at random bystanders at times.
And to top it all, a guy from who-knows-where walks in and announces high-and-mightily that there's a moral equivalence between a democratically elected goverment and the nazi-supported rebellious generals who overthrew it. Go figure.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the 81th anniversary of the Republic, with my whole country indebted to the ears, the head of the royal family-and-famous-prostibule-patron breaks his hip hunting elephants in Bostwana, 45000€ for each kill. In the meanwhile, one of his daughters embezzles money along with his husband, using a fake NGO they created as a cover. Another one sends his infant son along in illegal hunting trips (and he promptly shoots off his foot). The heir presumptive has done nothing today, but he's known to go amok at random bystanders at times.
And to top it all, a guy from who-knows-where walks in and announces high-and-mightily that there's a moral equivalence between a democratically elected goverment and the nazi-supported rebellious generals who overthrew it. Go figure.
I apologise, I didn't mean to make anyone angry/sad.

I was just remarking that it was really sad that ~half a million people died in a war that basically became a platform for communism vs. fascism. Although of course that's a broad, somewhat inaccurate simplification and it's much more complicated than that.

*sigh* And I said I'd drop the subject... ok, this time, I'm really dropping the subject!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

My school offers a certificate for "Sacred Music", but you cannot get a degree in any pure science (Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, etc.,) or English/Writing/Journalism.  >:(

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

My school offers a certificate for "Sacred Music", but you cannot get a degree in any pure science (Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, etc.,) or English/Writing/Journalism.  >:(

Are you going to college in a 19th century Indian Village? Cause if you are, I'd totally major in Shamanism with a minor in Spirit Walking.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

That would be awesome, but alas, they don't offer that, either.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

http://www.accuweather.com/en/in/mayapur/196735/current-weather/196735

And the power's out, so no fan.
That's India welcoming you back. And punishing you for leaving.

Also, for some bizarre reason I thought you were in Jharkhand. I stand corrected.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

seriously, turning off the power in this weather is insult to injury.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Judge has ordered me to file a divorce "without children." I literally had mom bring her kid to the courthouse in a stroller to show the damn judge the kid. Screw me, I'm still supposed to file it as without kids, because the court doesn't feel like dealing with the custody issue. Appeal? Client doesn't have money for the court costs of that. You can file an indigent affidavit saying you're too poor to pay that and if the court finds you are too poor, then you get your $25 filing fee back and have all court costs waived. The court did not find her indigent, yet she's broke and has to pay for the kid herself, because dad is a deadbeat.

So the judge is essentially telling me "there is no kid," and I'm showing up with the kid and mom right next to me.... ??? Mom is at least sort of understanding about how I can't file anything until I deal with Judge Crazy McDon'twannaseethekidinfrontofme. There are express statutes dealing with child custody and the judge is just ignoring all of them and doesn't care.... Do you know what kind of shit it takes to force a judge to listen or to remove one in that situation. I'm literally going to have to go to the State Supreme Court and I am NOT getting paid for this practically. JUDGES SHOULD NOT BE ELECTED. It doesn't work. Democrazy has a way of sucking sometimes.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 3345