Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3697022 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Hamanamena-SOLD! Edition
« Reply #10125 on: April 06, 2012, 10:49:29 am »

Well Google is now pushing its Google-glasses, so maybe trackIR isn't that far off in the future. In another few years too I expect mo-cap gaming is going to bring the hardware to PCs as well.
years? Kinect is already on the pc and has been for a while.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: April 06, 2012, 10:56:03 am »

Oh god WoW won't stop offering me my "last chance" to get 10 days free. I'd tell them to stop e-mailing me, but then I'd miss out on all the juicy betas for other games.

Anyhow, watch jefmajor's let's play of IL-2 Sturmovik if you want to see the trackIR in action. It freaks out a time or two during the let's play, but only when he gets up to do something or sneezes. Otherwise it seems absolutely vital for any flight sim, and makes the experience immersive even for me as a viewer. I can't imagine how it must feel actually playing the game with it.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: April 06, 2012, 10:58:45 am »

I'm also not sure which is more realistic for FPS games. I know controller movement is clunky, but there's just something about being able to kill someone behind you even after they got the first shot on you with an automatic weapon that doesn't sit well with me. Maybe I'm just clumsy and slow myself, but it seems like a more realistic experience. Granted the whole argument is kinda moot when you realize that in ANY FPS your head is glued on looking forward. Track IR needs to expand its market

The reason I have a problem taking console FPSes seriously (and by extension, the people who get off on being "good" at console FPSes) is because of the degree of aim-assist that is necessary to make joystick controls work for aiming. I recall a method I used to show people in Halo 3 how much aim-assist influences your gameplay, even when turned down, by taking them into custom games and having them first try to get headshots with me on the other team, and then with me on the same team (and hence no aim-assist) The latter is damn near impossible; the only way to reliably kill teammates was with explosives, running them over with vehicles, and melee attacks. Headshots (or even consistent bodyshots) on a moving target with no aim-assist, controller, and any sort of nonexplosive weapon? Not happening. After playing CS:S, DoD:S, QIII, TF2 and other FPSes to a lesser extent on the PC, I don't think I could ever go back to playing seriously on consoles. They're still great for the arcade-y experience, but beyond that...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10128 on: April 06, 2012, 11:01:10 am »

I don't know about trackIR but a lot of flight sims can use a secondary controller stick or hat switch to control POV within the cockpit.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #10129 on: April 06, 2012, 11:14:06 am »

I don't know about trackIR but a lot of flight sims can use a secondary controller stick or hat switch to control POV within the cockpit.

Oooh, but that's not the same. This trackIR lets you lean to the side AND look behind you, where with two dimensional movement you'd just be staring into the headrest of your seat. I'm not easily gimmicked, but this thing would have me completely sold were it a hundred bucks cheaper.

Also, I noticed the degree of aim assist when I turned mine OFF and still had some in either battlefield 3 or BFBC: 2. I kinda wish they didn't have it for realism. Then again, I'm not quite sure why I'm trying to have realism in a game where I routinely countersnipe with a 6-shooter revolver. Reminds me of the scene at the end of Blazing Saddles.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: April 06, 2012, 11:14:20 am »

To be fair, arcade experiences are quite fun, and I don't really have a problem with people who prefer them beyond any problems I might have with somebody who derives a sense of self-worth from skill at an FPS and denigrating the skills of others in the same. A person who prefers consoles might not even be the latter, in which case knock yourself out, dude.

Badwrongfun is not a useful approach, I feel.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Jesus Fucking Christ Randolph Street drivers, Y U NO DRIVE THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT! It's like 9/10 drivers whose tires touch that street suddenly age 50 fucking years and think they're having a nice Sunday drive. It's 5:15 rush hour traffic, GET THE FUCK OUTTA MY WAY!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Sounds like RL trolololo to me...

Just think, nen. They're actively waiting for you to get on the road to slow down. It's the sole bright moment of their day.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, it's Spr-ummer and so half this town goes retarded and starts rubber necking on their drive home instead of paying attention to, you know, driving.

But there's something about this street, I dunno. Been taking it home for 2 months now and there's been MAYBE one fucking day where I've gotten 20 blocks at the speed limit. And it's not even a high traffic street!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:25:54 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe. Had some 40-year-old Vietnamese lady drive straight into the face of a gas station that lies along the route, from a dead stop in a parking spot.

Maybe it's like Ghostbusters 2, and there's a large flow of pure psychokinetic stupidity flowing underneath the whole length of Randolph street.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:29:06 pm by nenjin »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

According to forum stats, 1.24% of all posts in the DF fortress mode board are mine.

I feel both happy and spammy inside.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

According to forum stats, 1.24% of all posts in the DF fortress mode board are mine.

how many are girlinhat's?
Ask Girlinhat?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe. Had some 40-year-old Vietnamese lady drive straight into the face of a gas station that lies along the route, from a dead stop in a parking spot.

Maybe it's like Ghostbusters 2, and there's a large flow of pure psychokinetic stupidity flowing underneath the whole length of Randolph street.
so basically it's rick santorum energy?

Actually I think he's supposed to be here very soon....

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

how many are girlinhat's?
1.98%

combined, WE ARE CAPTAIN PHALLUS!

Ok, I'm going to eat some asbestos now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently between the time I get home and 9pm is my highest activity point in the day by far. Bluh. No wonder I feel like my time is going poof.
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 3345