Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694490 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: $1.50 is fine Edition
« Reply #9435 on: March 02, 2012, 10:53:37 am »

Yo dawg, I put some hate in yo' hate so you can rage while you rage.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9436 on: March 02, 2012, 10:58:46 am »

Hate-haters gonna hate hate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9437 on: March 02, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »

Vladimir Putin is about to become God-Emperor President of Russia for the 3rd time.

*snippage*

"Look at your President, Russia. Now back at me. Now at Medvedev. Now me. Sadly, he's not me, but he can be once this election is over. Anything is possible when you vote Putin. I'm on a horse."

Vladimir Putin: Rule like a man, man.

On the topic of Putin, did you know he had at least one lipjob done? I saw some pictures of him in childhood, young adulthood-ish and nowtimes in a paper the other way, and it was glaringly obvious he made them smaller/thinner. I guess he got tired of the Pouting jokes.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:50:56 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #9438 on: March 02, 2012, 12:46:45 pm »

GUAARRRRGH I HATE WHEN EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT WHAT THEY HATE AND WHEN GAMES ARE BEING BORING AND USELESS! RAAAARGH!

I know right? Nothing is more rage inducing than random people making TLDR about how they hate something that no one with sane mind could hate. Keep hating the haters. Rant about ranters.  :P  8)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9439 on: March 02, 2012, 12:51:44 pm »

GUAARRRRGH I HATE WHEN EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT WHAT THEY HATE AND WHEN GAMES ARE BEING BORING AND USELESS! RAAAARGH!

I know right? Nothing is more rage inducing than random people making TLDR about how they hate something that no one with sane mind could hate. Keep hating the haters. Rant about ranters.  :P  8)

Recursive Raeg.

And yes. If you bother to post in here, make it worth our time please.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9440 on: March 02, 2012, 01:00:22 pm »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9441 on: March 02, 2012, 01:08:38 pm »

On the topic of Putin, did you know he had at least one lipjob done? I saw some pictures of him in childhood, young adulthood-ish and nowtimes in a paper the other way, and it was glaringly obvious he made them smaller/thinner. I guess he got tired of the Poutin jokes.

Fixed

On a personal rage pet peeve note, lately I've been irritated by people spreading incorrect understandings of Ad hominem and Godwin's Law. Why do people call non-fallacies fallacies?! What bearing does a comparison to Nazis have on the fallaciousness of an argument? Do people not understand that a lawmaker in the line of Godwin didn't issue a decry against Nazi comparisons and that "Law" is used in the scientific sense for a formulaic truth about the universe? Do insults have any bearing on the logical coherency of the matter being spoken about?! It only requires a bit of thinking to see that the popular usages are incorrect. Why, Internet, why?  >:(
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: March 02, 2012, 01:13:52 pm »

It's mostly because there's a traditional corollary to Godwin's Law that states that whoever first invoked a Nazi comparison automatically loses the argument. To quote Wikipedia:
There are many corollaries to Godwin's law, some considered more canonical (by being adopted by Godwin himself) than others. For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress. This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's law. It is considered poor form to raise such a comparison arbitrarily with the motive of ending the thread. There is a widely recognized corollary that any such ulterior-motive invocation of Godwin's law will be unsuccessful.

Godwin's law applies especially to inappropriate, inordinate, or hyperbolic comparisons of other situations (or one's opponent) with Nazis. The law and its corollaries would not apply to discussions covering known mainstays of Nazi Germany such as genocide, eugenics or racial superiority, nor, more debatably, to a discussion of other totalitarian regimes or ideologies, since a Nazi comparison in those circumstances may be appropriate, in effect committing the fallacist's fallacy. Whether it applies to humorous use or references to oneself is open to interpretation, since this would not be a fallacious attack against a debate opponent.

While falling foul of Godwin's law tends to cause the individual making the comparison to lose their argument or credibility, Godwin's law itself can be abused as a distraction, diversion or even as censorship, fallaciously miscasting an opponent's argument as hyperbole when the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate. Similar criticisms of the "law" (or "at least the distorted version which purports to prohibit all comparisons to German crimes") have been made by Glenn Greenwald.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9443 on: March 02, 2012, 01:25:56 pm »

It's mostly because there's a traditional corollary to Godwin's Law that states that whoever first invoked a Nazi comparison automatically loses the argument.

And that tradition has already warped into full on misunderstanding. Most people I see calling Godwin's Law fall into this camp:

While falling foul of Godwin's law tends to cause the individual making the comparison to lose their argument or credibility, Godwin's law itself can be abused as a distraction, diversion or even as censorship, fallaciously miscasting an opponent's argument as hyperbole when the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate. Similar criticisms of the "law" (or "at least the distorted version which purports to prohibit all comparisons to German crimes") have been made by Glenn Greenwald.

So people are following a forum tradition without any understanding of its origin and end up distracting the thread. Damnit Culture, stop running away with ideas and leaving most people with no clue of what they meant in the first place!
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9444 on: March 02, 2012, 01:52:36 pm »

It's the point where Law becomes Meme, and most of the "rules" get thrown out in favor of being funny, clever or providing an argument someone has to work x2 as hard to overcome.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9445 on: March 02, 2012, 01:53:56 pm »

There's also Cohen's Law, which states that anyone who invokes Godwin's law to win the debate has lost the debate.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9446 on: March 02, 2012, 02:00:13 pm »

There's also Cohen's Law, which states that anyone who invokes Godwin's law to win the debate has lost the debate.

Which is exactly what we're talking about. It gets used more often to derail a valid comparison than it does to shoot down the obvious, stupid comparisons. Which is annoying because even thinking individuals will act like invoking Cohen is some magic bullet that ends conversations. It doesn't, and it's a stupid tactic 9/10.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9447 on: March 02, 2012, 02:23:14 pm »

act like invoking Cohen is some magic bullet that ends conversations

You know who else used bullets to end conversations? Hitler:P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: March 02, 2012, 02:29:27 pm »

He didn't do it very well though, if he lost the war conversation.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: March 02, 2012, 02:43:08 pm »

On the topic of Putin, did you know he had at least one lipjob done? I saw some pictures of him in childhood, young adulthood-ish and nowtimes in a paper the other way, and it was glaringly obvious he made them smaller/thinner. I guess he got tired of the Poutin jokes.

Fixed

ARGH damn autocorrect again, never let me say what I want to say. But it's so useful for the words I actually spell wrong! :(
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 3345