Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695261 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fistfuls of Hair Edition
« Reply #9150 on: February 17, 2012, 07:36:58 pm »

But I can't have a list of a list of classes and do all the stuff with lists that python can and all the other crap in this tutorial that doesn't make any damn sense in C++.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: February 17, 2012, 07:39:25 pm »

Meh i use C# so i can throw it on my phone and windows 8 faster.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: February 17, 2012, 07:41:16 pm »

If you're struggling with C++, maybe it's not a bad idea. I got midway into Python and felt like, I could keep going but I was going to get learned on a higher level language...and that might hurt my understanding of lower level languages. So I decided to go C++. Struggling myself with C++, I've been tempted to go deeper into Python again because I think I would make more ground. But I don't want to short change myself. I have an actual tech job now with the option to program in a few years if I can rise to the challenge. So I'm going to stick with C++, even though it makes me feel incompetent half the time. I could certainly make use of Python in my job (and making games), but the vast majority of programming work we do gets done in C++ ect....

And when I do finally get around to game deving...I want the ppooooowwwwwaaaaaaahhhhh!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:43:01 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #9153 on: February 17, 2012, 07:43:09 pm »

Regardless of whether I switch to python for this or not, I'm going to continue learning and using C++, since it's what we're using in uni.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: February 17, 2012, 07:43:46 pm »

But I can't have a list of a list of classes and do all the stuff with lists that python can and all the other crap in this tutorial that doesn't make any damn sense in C++.
Seems somebody isn't thinking in pointers. Instead of having a list of objects, why not have a list of pointers to these objects, then ask for the pointer, ask the pointer for the object, and ask the object to run its method.

Also, the programming thread is always open for business.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: February 17, 2012, 07:44:50 pm »

Quote from: Max White

Also, the programming thread(s) are always open for business.

Fix't.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: February 17, 2012, 07:49:54 pm »

BLASPHEMY!!! Thou shall bow before the one true programming thread!
Hmm, you think we need another in life advice? We could have the one in general for talking about best practice, industry standards, the pros and cons of each language and so forth, one in creative for displaying small works of our own, and one in LA for trouble shooting.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #9157 on: February 17, 2012, 07:52:49 pm »

Seems somebody isn't thinking in pointers. Instead of having a list of objects, why not have a list of pointers to these objects, then ask for the pointer, ask the pointer for the object, and ask the object to run its method.

Also, the programming thread is always open for business.
Because I'm trying to fake a 2D array with lists, since I can't use an actual array since it whines if I don't initialise it and I can't initialise it because it's an array of objects and aaaaaaaaaaa. I'm mostly just whining because it's late and I can't be bothered working on it more. I'll work on it tomorrow.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: February 17, 2012, 08:10:20 pm »

Tbh there are so many knowledgeable programmers around here willing to share, we get all of that in both threads.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: February 17, 2012, 10:09:44 pm »

It has apparently reached the point I have to disable javascript and plugins to read many news sites (without maxing CPU, slowed browser functioning, etc.).

People designing these sites! You're doing it wrong.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: February 17, 2012, 10:15:57 pm »

No, your internet just isn't up to their standards. :P

Seriously, though. I've heard that be used as an excuse before.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: February 17, 2012, 10:39:00 pm »

I was mentally RAAAAAGING today. Because someone who shall remain unnamed (because nobody here would know them) dared to contradict me when I postulated that DF was the most brilliant game ever. They didn't seem to understand that popularity does not brilliance make. Idjits.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: February 18, 2012, 12:27:33 am »

AREGAFAFMNLKA;Afiwjfjkla;fjblebleble...

Okay, let me try that again. Goddamn do my legs ache. This is because no fewer than 4 people coded* today, two of them within an hour and separated by a great distance. I never knew I could sprint that fast. I can't be angry at anybody, but goddamn was today frustrating, moreso because I know that of everybody involved I really have it easiest. Well, that's not true. I can be angry at the nurses who didn't realize that barbiturates are controlled substances and therefore are locked up, but that's totally unrelated because different patients. And really more of irritation than raeeeggggg.

Still, I've got two days off and a bottle of mead to celebrate said days with, so that's something.

*For those of you who don't work in health care, or in case it's purely local terminology, a "Code Blue" is this hospital's equivalent of "Oh fuck".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: February 18, 2012, 01:35:00 pm »

So Thursday, the manager was being an extreme dick specifically towards me, including trying to give me as many simultaneous phsyically demanding tasks as possible, then when it got to the point where I was literally almost collapsing from exhaustion, I complained that I was tired, and he replied with a harsh "Tired of what!". It reached a head when he forcefully grabbed my arm, I told him not to touch me, twice, and he responded with "Do not tell me not to touch you", and then ordered me to get into the truck in a way that I'm 100% confident that it would have ended violently if I didn't. So I did, and then called for a ride home.

Although my parents did take me home, rather than "let" me quit, they forced me to return the next day so he could apologize(real reason: they thought it would affect my benefits). He never did, only pretended nothing happened, and I think the boss tried to work a hidden insult into his sermon that day. Considering this is not the first time this manager has made unwelcome contact to a slave-worker, I half-expected to be fired yesterday(it happened to the last guy this happened to).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9164 on: February 18, 2012, 06:58:51 pm »

I JUST PUT THESE BATTERIES IN 5 SECONDS AGO THEY ARE NOT RUNNING OUT
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 3345