Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694245 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fistfuls of Hair Edition
« Reply #9105 on: February 16, 2012, 04:09:36 pm »

The Crucible.  I've read it in my Engrish Class as well.  For the most part (and I'm not a very good critic), it angers me that events such as witch hangings and intense religious paranoia even happened since The Crucible is (supposedley) based off of true events (though I doubt it's very accurate).  I've no highly intellectual input;  but I can add that
The entire work has sort of sullied my view even further of puritan culture, and the hypocrasy that surrounded the entire culture.

As for To Kill A Mockingbird, I agree that it was very preachy.  While it was a good novel to read, I just can't see how some say with absolute sincerity on their face that "OMG OMG best book ever written!!11! (one of my engrish teachers (the quote may not be exact))).  The novel was good at best for me, and okay yet 'preachy' at worst.

tl;dr: The Crucible angered me and ruined my opinion of a culture and To Kill A Mockingbird was okay, buy kind of preachy.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9106 on: February 16, 2012, 04:11:57 pm »

The Crucible.  I've read it in my Engrish Class as well.  For the most part (and I'm not a very good critic), it angers me that events such as witch hangings and intense religious paranoia even happened since The Crucible is (supposedley) based off of true events (though I doubt it's very accurate).  I've no highly intellectual input;  but I can add that
The entire work has sort of sullied my view even further of puritan culture, and the hypocrasy that surrounded the entire culture.

As for To Kill A Mockingbird, I agree that it was very preachy.  While it was a good novel to read, I just can't see how some say with absolute sincerity on their face that "OMG OMG best book ever written!!11! (one of my engrish teachers (the quote may not be exact))).  The novel was good at best for me, and okay yet 'preachy' at worst.

tl;dr: The Crucible angered me and ruined my opinion of a culture and To Kill A Mockingbird was okay, buy kind of preachy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: February 16, 2012, 04:13:35 pm »

Would it make you feel any better to know that the events in the crucible happened at least twice in US history, once with witches, and once with communists.

And America never did recover and realise that 'commie' is not a slur that can be applied to anybody you don't like for arbitrary reasons.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9108 on: February 16, 2012, 04:15:51 pm »

Would it make you feel any better to know that the events in the crucible happened at least twice in US history, once with witches, and once with communists.

And America never did recover and realise that 'commie' is not a slur that can be applied to anybody you don't like for arbitrary reasons.
Twice on the communist part, there was a red scare in the 20s but obviously didn't kick off until 50s with everyone's favorite senator: McCarthy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: February 16, 2012, 04:16:36 pm »

That sounds like something a commie would say....you commie.  ~ :P (tilde added for maximal sarcasm indication)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9110 on: February 16, 2012, 04:18:12 pm »

That sounds like something a commie would say....you commie.  ~ :P (tilde added for maximal sarcasm indication)
Redking aren't you chinese?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9111 on: February 16, 2012, 04:18:52 pm »

I must have read it wrong then.  And yeah I already knew about

Twice on the communist part, there was a red scare in the 20s but obviously didn't kick off until 50s with everyone's favorite senator: McCarthy.
I know this.  The author of The Crucible (who's name I can't seem to recall) wrote The Crucible because of all of the events happening around him.  Also that's another thing that makes me rage.  Communist paranoia.  Mainly during the second red scare, where McCarthyism reigned and people were jailed and blacklisted from politics and the media industry.  Ugh.

EDIT: Cleared up the post.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:22:07 pm by jc6036 »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: February 16, 2012, 04:21:00 pm »

His avatar? That's actually a picture of his mortal incarnation, or an avatar, if you will.

... We're building a RedKing mythology right now, right?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:24:55 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9114 on: February 16, 2012, 04:22:11 pm »

RedKing aren't you... Red King?
Well yes, it means he can use both white kingry and black kingry.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: February 16, 2012, 04:39:27 pm »

After now being on the receiving end of tech support, I think I'm going to be nicer from now on. Seriously, there doesn't need to be this much swearing or backhanded digs at the developers in these bug reports/phone calls. I suddenly feel like an asshole for all the years spent ragging on bad game design.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9117 on: February 16, 2012, 04:42:24 pm »

After now being on the receiving end of tech support, I think I'm going to be nicer from now on. Seriously, there doesn't need to be this much swearing or backhanded digs at the developers in these bug reports/phone calls. I suddenly feel like an asshole for all the years spent ragging on bad game design.
For customer support the magic word is "refund" and "commercial regulator"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: February 16, 2012, 04:48:06 pm »

I'm American Caucasian. I'm the whitest white boy u know. (well, except that even my Chinese friends have called me a jidan -- "egg" -- because I'm 'white on the outside, yellow on the inside').

And definitely not a communist. Although I'm sure I've been called one before.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9119 on: February 16, 2012, 04:50:32 pm »

work.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 3345