Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695649 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Digital Warfare Edition
« Reply #8850 on: February 08, 2012, 03:52:27 pm »

Please respond to us with a proper email lest you want a reply of "LOL U MAD?"
That would be the best support response EVER. :D
Hell, if I get laid off I am totally using that on my last day.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: February 08, 2012, 03:54:46 pm »

Please respond to us with a proper email lest you want a reply of "LOL U MAD?"
That would be the best support response EVER. :D
Hell, if I get laid off I am totally using that on my last day.
dude I would do it too when the time comes.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: February 08, 2012, 04:14:33 pm »

I'd disagree about the religion thing. If you're involved in a religion and members of the clergy (just using Christianity as an example because I don't know that much about other religions) do something like, say, try and cover up a sex-scandal you should be complaining or at least taking some action. Just because you're not supporting them monetarially is no reason for you to sit by whilst evil things (or even just bad things) happen.
[/quote]
Well, I mean more if you're in a completely different branch of the religion.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: February 08, 2012, 04:14:55 pm »

I guess what I really have a problem with is the idea that someone would make something so crass as political affiliation such a core component of their self identity that THAT would be enough to create the same response. That boggles my mind.
I think the difference is more that as a member of the Republican Party you are supporting Republican leaders and their policies by voting for/ funding them.  Therefore you can be to some extent held responsible for what they do since you're the one of the people supporting them and giving them power.

Wheras if you're part of a religion you aren't directly supporting members of that religion who are doing bad things - you aren't voting for them or funding them (...well, I guess you could be in some cases such as Scientology, but in most cases you aren't).  You don't have a share of responsibility for their actions in the same way.
I'd disagree about the religion thing. If you're involved in a religion and members of the clergy (just using Christianity as an example because I don't know that much about other religions) do something like, say, try and cover up a sex-scandal you should be complaining or at least taking some action. Just because you're not supporting them monetarially is no reason for you to sit by whilst evil things (or even just bad things) happen.
I am not currently a member of a church with an organised political structure beyond its walls. If I have a problem with my pastor I can quite easily take it up with him. Because I live with him. Because he is my father. And as he is not part of an organised structure, his only support is his congregation. A congregation mostly made up of people who were tired of churches with quite organised political structures, and the various problems that arise from them.

All in all, I think I'm rather lucky this way.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: February 08, 2012, 04:16:03 pm »

So when you call him "Father", you mean it literally? That is almost Dan Brown-levels of trippy right there.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: February 08, 2012, 04:19:10 pm »

So when you call him "Father", you mean it literally? That is almost Dan Brown-levels of trippy right there.
If I had done this once in my life, yes, that might have been a little trippy. He took the title "Pastor" rather than "Father". And I never really use that since I tend to use more familiar means of address.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: February 08, 2012, 04:23:30 pm »

That's like saying everybody is reasonable for every crime ever because they just sat by.

There is a certain responsibility to society for anyone to try to stop a crime, but it's hard. Intervening in a crime that you are not personally connected with other then that you both know that it might be happening and that you know the people involved (in a cursory way, if you know them deeper then yeah I guess there is more responsibility.) is not something many people can do. Honestly, I do not think it is even something that people deserve to be called upon.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: February 08, 2012, 04:59:16 pm »

I got an e-mail in reply to my very composed request for a refund on that graphics card I bought, because it didn't have power requirements listed, leading me to be unaware of them (Hell, I didn't even know my own until I was opening the case.) when I bought it. Simply put, my answer was no. My dad refuses to even let me mention the possibility of upgrading the computer so I can use the card (With no reasoning whatsoever.). I now have $250 in worthless online credit, because the vendor sells nothing but computer parts!

Yeah, yeah, Caveat Emptor and all that, but I have the power to make this problem un-bite my ass, and my dad is simply forcing me to make it bite harder. Perhaps now is the time to hack his account and start trashing the entire setup.

Warning, do NOT open:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:07:46 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: February 08, 2012, 06:33:40 pm »

That's like saying everybody is reasonable for every crime ever because they just sat by.

There is a certain responsibility to society for anyone to try to stop a crime, but it's hard. Intervening in a crime that you are not personally connected with other then that you both know that it might be happening and that you know the people involved (in a cursory way, if you know them deeper then yeah I guess there is more responsibility.) is not something many people can do. Honestly, I do not think it is even something that people deserve to be called upon.
The only time a civilian should act on a crime is when they can do so safely. The religious crimes (like the spate of abuse charges against various priests) take place because no one says anything. It's a little different than stopping a robber with a gun.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8859 on: February 08, 2012, 06:48:33 pm »

But you'll go to hell if you snitch on a priest.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8860 on: February 08, 2012, 06:50:55 pm »

If there were a god or gods, wouldn't they want you to stop injustice, no matter who was causing it?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: February 08, 2012, 07:01:11 pm »

Hrm? Only if they were omnibenevolent. All other varieties of supreme being(s) (including merely benevolent) can get around that.

So, uh, the abrahamic religions would say yes. No guarantee the followers act on anything, though.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:03:42 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: February 08, 2012, 07:03:56 pm »

If there were a god or gods, wouldn't they want you to stop injustice, no matter who was causing it?
Maybe.
It's quite possible they wouldn't care about humanity in the slightest.
Or they might enjoy watching humans suffer (eg. loki would be just fine with injustice).

Ninja'd
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: February 08, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »

If there were god(s) wouldn't they be insane vain? Making a universe, enriching it with sentient life, then making themselves apparent for the sole reason that we should worship them?
Like a child setting up a stuffed toy parade in their own honer for nothing in particular.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 3345