Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694011 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Digital Warfare Edition
« Reply #8700 on: February 03, 2012, 04:39:48 pm »

You and Truean could totally become some kind of dynamic duo of the law.

The Justice Team!  *pose*
So this will be a bad time to say I want to become a FBI agent?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: February 03, 2012, 04:47:04 pm »

You'd still make a perfect team.  You investigate and bring them in, he prosecutes and jails them.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: February 03, 2012, 04:58:51 pm »

You and Truean could totally become some kind of dynamic duo of the law.

The Justice Team!  *pose*
So this will be a bad time to say I want to become a FBI agent?
*hiss* NOT ONE OF US!

I kid. But historically, ATF and FBI have frosty relations because of the weird jurisdictional overlap. FBI is charged with the investigation of any and all Federal crimes. ATF is charged with the investigation of any and all Federal crimes where a firearm, explosive or arson was involved. So...roughly 95% of any and all Federal crimes. And after 9/11 and the whole Homeland Security reorg, ATF was supposed to actually have lead investigative authority in those situations. Which would make FBI a second fiddle, a role they were unwilling to accept. Especially seeing as how they're orders of magnitude larger (both in terms of manpower and funding), and they still see ATF as primarily a "revenue collection" agency (ATF was formerly part of the Treasury Department...back to good old Elliot Ness and the 'revenuers').

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8703 on: February 03, 2012, 05:40:00 pm »

The policy updated ran at work and nuked all my environment variables so java no longer works.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: February 03, 2012, 06:26:25 pm »

Was working on Photoshop for 5+ hours on a school project.  Apparently, Windows does not like file names with periods in them, but won't warn you about it.  So yeah, I now have a horribly corrupted file that used to be my homework.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8705 on: February 03, 2012, 06:34:20 pm »

The policy updated ran at work and nuked all my environment variables so java no longer works.

Oh? did I mention that not only did the policy updater nuke my environment variables, but it also copied a broken version of java.exe into the system32 directory.

And that they removed indexing from the hard drive so I can't search for files, for instance to find where exactly in the long string of path variables that someone might have inserted a broken copy of java.exe so I have to search everything manually?

And did I mention that not only is this a broken copy of java (one that has no java.lang.Object) but it is also a version KNOWN to produce problems with some of our build tools.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: February 03, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »

Oh? did I mention that not only did the policy updater nuke my environment variables, but it also copied a broken version of java.exe into the system32 directory.

And that they removed indexing from the hard drive so I can't search for files, for instance to find where exactly in the long string of path variables that someone might have inserted a broken copy of java.exe so I have to search everything manually?

And did I mention that not only is this a broken copy of java (one that has no java.lang.Object) but it is also a version KNOWN to produce problems with some of our build tools.

Note to self: fuck the policy updater, do that shit by myself.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8707 on: February 03, 2012, 06:59:28 pm »

Was working on Photoshop for 5+ hours on a school project.  Apparently, Windows does not like file names with periods in them, but won't warn you about it.  So yeah, I now have a horribly corrupted file that used to be my homework.

I'd bet that's more of an Adobe thing; but I have no proof.

Adobe has better typography, but terrible, terrible OS interface code.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: February 03, 2012, 07:31:24 pm »

I managed to find an earlier version and patch up what I needed to get it done.  Not quite the same, but workable.  In other news, my brother's schizophrenia has flared up real bad out of nowhere.  Yesterday, he was actually coherent, functional, and he seemed to understand when I told him that none of his hallucinations were real.  Fast forward to today, where he rushed into our house and tried to convince me that people have been reading his mind for years.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8709 on: February 03, 2012, 08:07:05 pm »

I managed to find an earlier version and patch up what I needed to get it done.  Not quite the same, but workable.  In other news, my brother's schizophrenia has flared up real bad out of nowhere.  Yesterday, he was actually coherent, functional, and he seemed to understand when I told him that none of his hallucinations were real.  Fast forward to today, where he rushed into our house and tried to convince me that people have been reading his mind for years.

That happens to my schizophrenic friend when he does meth... or a half dozen red bulls.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: February 03, 2012, 08:18:44 pm »

I'd bet that's more of an Adobe thing; but I have no proof.

Adobe has better typography, but terrible, terrible OS interface code.

I've lost a lot of respect for Adobe in the past few years over the quality of their code.  Adobe Reader is just fantastically bad, but at least Dreamweaver doesn't crash all that often at work.  Except when daylight savings time kicks in and I have to go delete some obscure index file to get Dreamweaver to start up again.

To be fair though, it seems that any decently complicated program these days is just as flawed.  I had Corel Painter die on me one time because I made a brush too big (500px?), and another time when I typed too much text into a text element.  I swear, if I could read their code and find them allocating a static sized buffer for that and not checking input length...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: February 03, 2012, 08:54:57 pm »

*hides the boom*
Damn hes on to us!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: February 03, 2012, 11:30:55 pm »

Team Fortress 2.  Game was running fine, ping in the 50s.  Suddenly, I hit a massive patch of lag, and when I get out of it I respawn.  I check my ping again. It's in the 500s this time.
[insert string of vile foulness here]
Would be WTF?! worthy if it didn't make me rage.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8713 on: February 03, 2012, 11:37:12 pm »

Team Fortress 2.  Game was running fine, ping in the 50s.  Suddenly, I hit a massive patch of lag, and when I get out of it I respawn.  I check my ping again. It's in the 500s this time.
[insert string of vile foulness here]
Would be WTF?! worthy if it didn't make me rage.
That has been happening to quite a few people, apparently. Maybe it's a server issue?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: February 03, 2012, 11:43:24 pm »

It could be.  But my internet source is known to act up so it could be that as well.  Other things seem to be running fine though so it may just be the servers.
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 3345