Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691779 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Digital Warfare Edition
« Reply #8610 on: January 28, 2012, 02:15:28 pm »

That one guy with the hole in his head is back at work.

What the...don't you guys deal with food? Isn't that against some sanitary standard?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8611 on: January 28, 2012, 02:31:56 pm »

Also, New York State's teacher unions. They're planning on fighting changes to rules regarding incompetent teachers. One teacher who was found incompetent, for example, was only dismissed for 30 days based on the defense that the "administrators were out to get her", despite being found incomptent at teaching English because she cannot speak(or teach) English very well(she spelled "thick" as "thik", for a single example). Seriously, isn't one of the prerequisites of teaching an English class the ability to SPEAK F*CKING ENGLISH?! At least the governor is actually trying to do something about it.
Explanations
A:The school board is incompetent
B:The woman is trolling and speaks perfect english
Oh c'mon guys, I'm sure you've had that bad day when you've forgotten how to speak any understandable language :P

Just me?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: January 28, 2012, 03:11:37 pm »

I've had years where that went on.  By mere chance, I was teaching upper level English classes.  I consider this a good thing, because it "challenged" my students to "go above and beyond" what was expected of them.  Any students who complained obviously didn't try hard enough, and any students who flunked my classes probably didn't do the homework.  Everyone knows that students hate teachers for no particular reason, so any negative input (short of rape charges, maybe) from students are lies.

that was sarcasm

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: January 28, 2012, 03:51:10 pm »

Re: Teacher quality.

We get what we pay for.

There's little to no competition for teacher positions, at least in public schools. It's a crappily paid job with rather long hours once you factor in stuff like grading homework. Most anyone with a piece of paper certifying them to teach can land a job.

Boost the pay, which would boost the pool of applicants, which would boost the overall teacher quality. But no, that's expensive. Let's hire teachers without screening whether they can spell or not.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8614 on: January 28, 2012, 06:25:39 pm »

Team Fortress 2 is taking forever to download.
Though faster than I thought it would take, it's still taking a while.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: January 28, 2012, 10:55:15 pm »

Getting off a ski lift today, the other guy's ski got the back of mine, twisting it so I landed firmly on my tailbone on the impossibly hard lift ramp.
It hurt so badly I had to lay down on the snow for a minute or two before I got up and skied down.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: January 29, 2012, 02:08:19 am »

Re: Teacher quality.

We get what we pay for.

There's little to no competition for teacher positions, at least in public schools. It's a crappily paid job with rather long hours once you factor in stuff like grading homework. Most anyone with a piece of paper certifying them to teach can land a job.

Boost the pay, which would boost the pool of applicants, which would boost the overall teacher quality. But no, that's expensive. Let's hire teachers without screening whether they can spell or not.

Maybe it's like this around where you are, but I know someone who had the opposite problem: there's too much competition because there aren't enough positions.  She went over a year applying for these positions before she finally landed a job, and that was only after another teacher there vouched for her.

I do think that teachers should probably be paid more, and at the same time I also think that there should probably be higher standards.  It's a tough and unforgiving profession at times, from what I understand... but kids only (usually) get one shot at each grade level, so you don't want to screw over some kid because a teacher isn't up to speed for one reason or another.  What do you do?

Of course the big problem here is that there's just not enough money to hire more teachers or pay them better.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: January 30, 2012, 02:40:07 am »

So I've been having computer issues lately, involving heavy system lag and complete ejection from the internet. It's been unavailable since Tuesday last week being examined, and today I got it back with instructions to back up the data so that they could do a system restore to try and fix it.

Now, since I don't have enough money for a goodly sized external hard drive, I have to use the one salvaged from the remains of my last computer. This has 179GB of storage space. My current computer had 225GB of data and programs. So after painstakingly uninstalling roughly 70GB of games in order to satisfy the demands of the now-reformatted backup drive, i leave it to run backup for approximately 3 hours.

Upon reaching 50%, it promptly stops the backup and tells me I don't have enough space on the backup drive. Turns out that the computer somehow generated an extra 2GB of data in the three hours I wasn't using it. So, frustrated, i re-reformat the backup drive, clear out some MORE stuff, and start over. Backup goes much faster this time.

Until it reaches 50%, shits itself AGAIN, and tells me I don't have enough space on the backup drive.

So I check, and it says I need 174GB of space on the backup drive to do a proper backup. So, once again, I reformat the backup drive and start the process again.

At 50%, it happens again.

What the fuck is going on.
くコ:彡

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8618 on: January 30, 2012, 02:53:55 am »

Ghost in the machine.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: January 30, 2012, 11:10:08 am »

Ghost in the machine.
Thats what happens when you get them souls flying around and go inside them machines as a hidey-hole.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: January 30, 2012, 01:28:50 pm »

Ghost in the machine.
Well I can't afford an international call, so the Ghostbusters aren't an option.
くコ:彡

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: January 30, 2012, 01:45:45 pm »

You can always fall back on ritual sacrifice and percussive maintenance. Or delete some of those games for good.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8622 on: January 30, 2012, 08:44:09 pm »

Everquest going Free2Play; and while doing so removing existing benefits that I and others payed cash-money for (the recruit-a-friend bonuses which were very, very specifically advertised as being permenent.)

07/01/2011: "The experience bonuses are permanent."
01/29/2012: "The Recruit-A-Friend program is also closed."
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: January 31, 2012, 02:46:21 am »

I don't know where EQ is based but I'm pretty certain that would count as a breach of contract, or at least misinformation. Well, it should, anyway.
Love, scriver~

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: January 31, 2012, 09:00:58 am »

To induce rage, follow these simple steps:

1. Procrastinate
2. Work on procrastinated n-page-long project, All-nighter.
3. Send in finished project for evaluation in the nick of time.
4. Find out several hours after deadline that the source material is not the paper copy handed out during lecture, but the identically named electronic document with identical content sans one page at the end containing half of the fucking source material necessary to fully complete the assignment and save one from having to spend hours looking up facts, extrapolating and guesstimating various details needed to fill in the missing content.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 3345