Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698240 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

Some Canadian pundit or something. Was trying to find something to watch a couple nights ago, there was nothing on, and inadvertently ended up flipping it to this show he has on this one channel. Listening to him rant on about the Order of Canada kinda irked me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Raging at myself.

Ordered an Nvidia 550 Ti. Had read a lot of bugaboo about "30 amps on your 12v rail" and figured hey, my PSU is probably up to it, right? I should have known better. I cracked open my case to see "12v/20a" staring back at me from the side of the PSU.

I always do this. I buy new hardware, get all geeked out about it arriving, then forget the cardinal rule of upgrades: be fucking thorough. I always end up having to order more/different parts and waiting up to a week longer to do my upgrade.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I think I bought this PSU about 4 years ago to power a cheap ass video card...but it kills me that almost every time I get a new card or something, I end up needing a PSU to go with it. Because who doesn't like tacking on an extra $50 to their shopping cart.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Have you tried it with that PSU?  Might work anyway, especially for older games with lower demands.  At worst it might lock the computer up if power demands get too high.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It can also damage parts if you run inconsistent voltage through them, or voltage drops below operating threshold suddenly. Knowing that most of the internet says you want 30 amps, I know I'd just be rolling the dice at 2/3rds of that. I'd get 10 minutes into something until the card gets under load and then splat.

Considering the only thing my current rig isn't running to my satisfaction is BF3, I can wait a few more days.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really wish people would stop to read a thread before posting in it. When threads are dozens of pages long, I understand. But when it's 5 pages long? You really can't take the time to read the first post, which some people actually take the time to make informative? Gah. Forums are for reading first, talking second.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We were watching an interesting video about Stephen Biko in my English class today. Out of the entire class of 32-40 students, a group of four people were excitedly chatting with eachother about incredibly superficial shit(facebook statuses,that party last night, etc) halfway through the video. Thus making it impossible to hear the video, because i sit right next to them. Apparently they couldn't wait the 40 minutes or so until lunch started, so they had to annoy everyone else who actually wanted to watch the video.

Is it bad that I want to bash their faces in with a brick?
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

Not really, unless you decide to act on those urges.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile

We were watching an interesting video about Stephen Biko in my English class today. Out of the entire class of 32-40 students, a group of four people were excitedly chatting with eachother about incredibly superficial shit(facebook statuses,that party last night, etc) halfway through the video. Thus making it impossible to hear the video, because i sit right next to them. Apparently they couldn't wait the 40 minutes or so until lunch started, so they had to annoy everyone else who actually wanted to watch the video.

Is it bad that I want to bash their faces in with a brick?

I run into that far too often.

Except for me, it's usually half the friggin' class talking.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't worry, people's lack of respect for learning will continue well into college too.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Don't worry, people's lack of respect for learning will continue well into college too.

But it's only prominent for the first couple years.  Most of the losers get filtered out quickly after intro courses.

Though you have to deal with some different forms of disrespect past that point.  For instance, every class tends to have that one person who requires some patience.  Often they're a former housewife mom who is going back to school in their 40s or some similar story.  They don't pick up on things as quickly as everyone else, are obsessed with writing down everything (by hand), and hold up the class with tons of questions, often about unimportant details.  Yeah, I admit that person can be annoying at times.  But oh my god there are so many spoiled kids who harbor an extreme hatred for that person.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:51:53 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

I would second this, but when its the instructor doing part of it and its actually an interesting subject...
(My semi-college level course teacher get distracted somewhat easily if you talk to him long enough about a topic)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But it's only prominent for the first couple years.  Most of the losers get filtered out quickly after intro courses.

Unless you're one of those sorry bastards that has reqs to fill close to graduation. Then you're in Geology 101 or some elective with a bunch of 20-somethings who'd rather make out with a cheese grater than spend another minute in school. It's a whole new level of awkward and annoying when you have to watch one grown adult talk to 20 semi-grown adults like they're children.

And then try to engage them in class conversation. I didn't go to a small college, but I was always struck by how often it ended up like highschool. Sometimes makes me wish I had gone math and engineering instead, at least for the most part you know those people are serious about learning.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, we're just quieter about our crushing boredom and occasional suicidal urges.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

No, we're just quieter about our crushing boredom and occasional suicidal urges.
Oh man this, I have to watch what I say when I'm with people I don't know.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I figured if you guys are willing to sit through mathematics and difficult material, you must really want to be there. The bar was so low for people in the Business and English colleges that doing a stats class, it was like the apocalypse because they'd never been graded in terms of "right" or "wrong."
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 3345