Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694598 times)

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fictious Lemonade Edition
« Reply #7935 on: December 10, 2011, 04:43:59 pm »

Eh, I had long hair for quite a while and loved it. Donated it twice, well, almost twice. Dogs thought that the drying bundle on my nightstand was a chew toy the second time around.  :-\

But try and see it from their point of view a little bit. There IS a significant bias against people with long hair. Hell, after I cut mine I stopped getting asked for a light or a spare cigarette around campus even though I don't smoke. People are judgemental creatures and anything you do to change your appearance will also change how people see you.

Now that I've played devil's advocate I want to say that I loved my hair, I just cut it because I'm going into a competitive field where I need every edge I can get. So sure, you may love your hair. It makes you different and it makes you look how you think you should look. Just keep in mind that when going for a job interview, or an interview for college, or maybe even if you're meeting new people who can help you get ahead in life that you may want to change your appearance. The great thing about hair is that it grows back, so once you've made a good impression (they really do matter, look up the anchoring and adjusting heuristic) and won the person over with your personality you can grow it back out again.

It's easy to get indignant when people tell you to change something about yourself and it's hard to actually listen and consider where they're coming from, but they might actually be trying to help. It'd be like seeing someone limping around too proud to use a cane, but on a lesser scale of course. Now if you're NOT going into a well established field controlled by a dominant image (medicine, law, etc.) then it really doesn't matter as much. Technology is a newer field and more progressive, so a pony tail won't exactly set you back as much from what I've seen.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Diamond Harddrives Edition
« Reply #7936 on: December 10, 2011, 07:33:58 pm »

I am getting sick of my parents telling me that they're taking me to get a haircut and shave, as if I don't have a say in how long my hair should be. I like my shoulder-length hair with a receding hairline across the top, which actually looks pretty damn sexy if I comb it(it curls naturally). I like my large, somehow red(my hair is brown), beard too.
Oh yeah, I get that too. I like my ponytail, thankyouverymuch. Even if I do look rather hippy-ish.
I guess most parents do that. I only cut my hairs when my father tells me to. I just go meh and get a haircut. My hairs looks weird when it's long anyway. I look like that shiny Edward guy from Twilight when my hair is long. I can't get my hair down.

People are judgemental against people with long hairs. In my country, people with long hairs are always mistaken for communists. Mostly they are though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:35:30 pm by Leatra »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fictious Lemonade Edition
« Reply #7937 on: December 10, 2011, 08:04:08 pm »

That is not how it works at goddamn all, you idiot!
Somehow it seems to me that pointing out a way to circumvent a certain bill is not the best plan of action for proponents of that bill.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #7938 on: December 12, 2011, 10:26:02 am »

Fucking washing machine ate £2.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7939 on: December 12, 2011, 11:05:40 am »

Nothing I upload on imgur is uploading for some reason. raeg.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7940 on: December 12, 2011, 01:06:03 pm »

It's raining outside.
My jacket has no hood.
My lunch is soaked.
I'm not at home.
I forgot to finish my Econ work.
I probably have a test in Econ today.
I am about to defenestrate this fucking computer right the fuck now.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7941 on: December 12, 2011, 01:23:39 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/florida-county-throw-parents-truant-kids-jail-165408463.html

As a child with a chronic illness I faced these very same threats.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #7942 on: December 12, 2011, 01:39:59 pm »

Two fire alarms today. It's fucking freezing out there.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7943 on: December 12, 2011, 01:57:37 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/florida-county-throw-parents-truant-kids-jail-165408463.html

Throwing parents in jail will get the kids to go to school.... how?

Oooh taking the authority figures out of their lives for 2 months is going to be so helpful!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: December 12, 2011, 02:03:36 pm »

Tildes make me so ANGRY~!
They really do. So angry.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7945 on: December 12, 2011, 02:05:43 pm »

Oooh taking the authority figures out of their lives for 2 months is going to be so helpful!

...Unless the parents are abusive. (Keep in mind this is supposed to be a last resort after all other attempts have failed.
Still, terrible idea, so going to get corrupted.)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: December 12, 2011, 02:05:44 pm »

It's designed to punish parents who don't give a shit about their kids. Also, the article says
The Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Palm Beach prosecutors say the two-month jail sentence will be a last resort, after government and nonprofit workers try to fix whatever problem is keeping parents from getting their kids to school.

That'll scare the shit out of lazy parents.

Tildes make me so ANGRY~!
They really do. So angry.
It's hard to take someone seriously when they use tildes  :P

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7947 on: December 12, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »

...Unless the parents are abusive. (Keep in mind this is supposed to be a last resort after all other attempts have failed.
Still, terrible idea, so going to get corrupted.)
If there's a good reason to separate the children from the parents, then jail time for the parents isn't the answer. Getting the kids away from their parents entirely is. 2 months of jail time isn't going to fix an abusive parent.

And yes it is going to be corrupted.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7948 on: December 12, 2011, 02:14:59 pm »

The problem is that the world is full of ignorant people who demand that everyone conform and will punish anyone who does not in any way they can. These people are drawn to jobs in education administration. it does not matter if you have an excuse, or a reason, or if the damn law is on your side. Fail to conform and you will be singled out and punished in any way that they legally can, and in some cases ways they legally can't if they think they can get away with it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: December 13, 2011, 09:51:00 am »

Usually when I rage, it's probably self-destructive, contained and either silent or vociferous rage. But still a rage.
Some people, however... some people...ugh.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 3345