Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694645 times)

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fictious Lemonade Edition
« Reply #7920 on: December 10, 2011, 12:35:25 am »

From what I've been able to piece together, the Eggman thing came about from the comic, or something.  Apparently in the US version of the Sonic comics, Dr. Robotnik was successfully killed off ala betrayal from his nephew, Snively, and also Sonic beating the crud out of him.  After a number of episodes of Sonic and friends dealing with other villains, finding ancient relics, and converting Robotropolis to Mobotropolis, an alternate reality Dr. Robotnik showed up from space.  This Robotnik is the slimmer, weirder version seen in Sonic games today.  And apparently he goes by the name "Eggman."  I'm not sure why.  I may or may not be correct about this though.

Dr. Robotnik is still definately the better only villain by far.

Fixed.

*Hey, from what I've seen of generations it's actually not that bad. Sure it contains characters from terrible games, but it has classic sonic and classic sonic levels. It could have been worse (insert link to ANY of the sonic games in the past forever)

*Edited in
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:37:24 am by Shinotsa »
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Fictious Lemonade Edition
« Reply #7921 on: December 10, 2011, 12:46:04 am »

Wow I was dead on, thanks to TvTropes.  If it helps, in a Sonic comic I bought recently, Eggman was successfully driven insane thanks to Sonic.  The comic has a whole has really gone down in quality though :/  I've only been in art school for a few months, and I can already tear this comic apart with all the horrible mistakes it makes.  Really awkward poses, awful use of lighting for effects, and so on :/  At this point, I like the idea of Sonic a lot more than where it's gone to.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: December 10, 2011, 12:48:02 am »

Yeah I can sympathize with the "I like the bad translation over the accurate one." From Earthbound, Pokey will always be Pokey to me, not Porky.

Also, the entire retranslation of FF6 for the GBA can go die in a fire.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: December 10, 2011, 01:08:46 am »

Not trying to derail this into Telgin Hates New Video Games, but I just remembered another franchise that supposedly got ruined recently.  I loved the Stronghold games from back around 2000 or so.  I used to play Crusader all day against the computer in the crusader trail.  I loved those games, for all their quirks.

Stronghold 2 was a bit of a let down, but I still mostly liked it.

Apparently, reading the reviews, Stronghold 3 is terrible.  How could this happen?  Why would they do this to me?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: December 10, 2011, 01:10:16 am »

*Hey, from what I've seen of generations it's actually not that bad. Sure it contains characters from terrible games, but it has classic sonic and classic sonic levels. It could have been worse (insert link to ANY of the sonic games in the past forever)

It could have been a lot better though.  Fourteen years on, and Sega still hasn't figured out how to mesh thumbsticks with three dimensions.  In the Genesis games, if Sonic's orientation to the screen changed (i.e. running on the ceiling), he would keep going full speed no matter which direction was pressed, as long as something was pressed.  From Adventure to Generations, every time the camera moves, if you don't move your thumb in perfect time with the pan Sonic goes all over the place.  It's not fucking complicated.

And yeah, Robotnik.  I always liked the old animated versions, in both cases, one because Jim Cummings is one of the greatest voice actors ever, and the other because acid-trip slapstick is great.  I like any instance of him where he's a serious villain but not presented seriously.  He's vaudeville.  And I don't care about the name translations beyond the fact that "Eggman" just sounds stupid when he calls himself that.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: December 10, 2011, 01:22:44 am »

I heard that they dropped Robotnik out of concern for political correctness (too directly villifying Russia).  Never bothered to verify this.  Just something I heard from a friend.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: December 10, 2011, 01:26:36 am »

I'd strongly suspect it's more to do with Sega of Japan trying to push their story over Sega of America in an attempt to unify everything.  Not doing a good job of it in my opinion.

Edit: In particular, I doubt most any kid reading Sonic the Hedgehog would relate Robotnik to Russia.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: December 10, 2011, 01:37:12 am »

I didn't till now
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: December 10, 2011, 01:44:25 am »

Yeah me either. I suppose it's a vaguely russian sounding name, but I found that doubtful to be the reason. They probably just wanted to "correct" his name, as it really isn't the original name.

Anywho, I've got some old Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog on tape (including an episode with the infamous sexual harassment "sonic says"). I loved watching those things.

To me, he will also always be Robotnik.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: December 10, 2011, 02:14:16 am »

Yeah me either. I suppose it's a vaguely russian sounding name, but I found that doubtful to be the reason.

I don't know why I'm the only one who knows this, but it's not "Russian sounding", it's specifically Slavic.  "Robotnik" is the Czech pronunciation of "Robot", a reference to Rossum's Universal Robots.  It's specifically supposed to be Russian sounding, since he was made in 1990 when goofy Russian-themed villains was still a thing that people thought was cool.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: December 10, 2011, 02:20:48 am »

Possibly because back when I played this game I was six, and only had a tenuous concept about the existence of Russia.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: December 10, 2011, 10:02:54 am »

So for my birthday my sister is going to dye my hair into an orangey color, my parents are going haywire over this, especially my dad who can't fathom that I unlike him don't give two shits if someone looks me the wrong way because I dyed my color into something different.

I just can't understand how he can care so much about fitting in and opinions of total strangers and still function normally.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Diamond Harddrives Edition
« Reply #7933 on: December 10, 2011, 01:32:52 pm »

I am getting sick of my parents telling me that they're taking me to get a haircut and shave, as if I don't have a say in how long my hair should be. I like my shoulder-length hair with a receding hairline across the top, which actually looks pretty damn sexy if I comb it(it curls naturally). I like my large, somehow red(my hair is brown), beard too.

Is the guy the founder and sole board member of the charity?
Not the founder, the original founder died about 5 years ago. And I remember him saying that he "doesn't care what the board thinks" when he threatened to fire everyone for not being like Disneyland, so I'm assuming that he isn't the sole member of the board(not that he cares what they think, apparently).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Diamond Harddrives Edition
« Reply #7934 on: December 10, 2011, 01:37:05 pm »

I am getting sick of my parents telling me that they're taking me to get a haircut and shave, as if I don't have a say in how long my hair should be. I like my shoulder-length hair with a receding hairline across the top, which actually looks pretty damn sexy if I comb it(it curls naturally). I like my large, somehow red(my hair is brown), beard too.
Oh yeah, I get that too. I like my ponytail, thankyouverymuch. Even if I do look rather hippy-ish.
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 3345